Britannia does not rule the waves.

Started by HDQQ, August 24, 2020, 08:15:34 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 25, 2020, 12:08:13 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53895000

BBC retreat and WILL be playing it.

But without an audience, will there be any bloody point ??

Not really (a lot of point) ,now saying no singing allowed . I guess as there  is nobody to sing in the hall they mean us at home . Not that I would be watching it mind but its a bit of a cheek telling us what we can do in our own drum .

Ive been to the proms , not the last night but a 'rock' spectacular  that was a load of crap written by the guys in Deep Purple . The only decent bit was  when they came on stage armed  with electric guitars and treated us to a few rifts of Smoke on the water before the violins took over and sent us running for the exit and the nearest boozer which for those in the know is the student bar at the Imperial college .

Where the proms goes from here is probably BBC radio 6 ,the Albert Hall already in financial trouble has alienated a market of potential punters even if it was for one time only

May as well leave the last night  to the EU flag waving tossers  who can riminess of times gone by and play Ode to joy to their hearts content and get ripped off having a couple of pints in Knightsbridge because obviously ,they are not in the know .

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2020, 10:17:21 PM

But it is a fact that had boris not won in december there wouldn't be a country to bother about by now.

Shortly after January 2021 there won't be a country to bother about either.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53895000

BBC retreat and WILL be playing it.

But without an audience, will there be any bloody point ??

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2020, 01:27:17 PM

Not remotely as terrifying as the far more truly terrifying alternative, Corbyn as Prime Minister. Abbott as Home Secretary. And as for their Chancellor .... And Brexit reversed and Britain's beaches engulfed by rubber pollution from all the dinghies and life jackets abandoned on them by illegals paddling here

John have you been asleep for the last ten months?

No. I have been enjoying the fact that I have a future.  I have yet to find a thread you do not play this same scratchy tune on your worn out banjo in.

I get that you hate the tories with a vehemence. Fine. But the years between 1990 and 1999 taught me that what the tories do to F@@@ my ability to have earning power is done by complete accident, whereas that fucker blair took bribes to F@@@ thousands of people like me over. I have no love for that berk with the hair and as I have pointed out i have stood in the street and told him to his face what a lying wanker he is.

But it is a fact that had boris not won in december there wouldn't be a country to bother about by now.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2020, 01:27:17 PM

Not remotely as terrifying as the far more truly terrifying alternative, Corbyn as Prime Minister. Abbott as Home Secretary. And as for their Chancellor .... And Brexit reversed and Britain's beaches engulfed by rubber pollution from all the dinghies and life jackets abandoned on them by illegals paddling here

John have you been asleep for the last ten months?

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2020, 09:47:30 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 24, 2020, 09:41:16 AM
Maybe not any more but by God and all thats holy we will rule ourselves .

The Tories will rule us without let or hinderance until the next general election and that is a truly terrifying prospect.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 24, 2020, 09:41:16 AM
Maybe not any more but by God and all thats holy we will rule ourselves .

The Tories will rule us without let or hinderance until the next general election and that is a truly terrifying prospect.

Streetwalker

It is a celebration of what made our nation what it is , a reminder of the sacrifice that many gave in creating the greatest nation on Gods earth .  That we would never be defeated ,that we would indeed never ever be slaves .

Stopping the singing of a song may be trivial in itself but its another chip away at Nationalism and the Nation state .  That the BBC is at the centre of it  comes as no surprise as they continue their anti UK pro EU stance . We may be leaving but they will try to make sure we dont enjoy it .

This year of all recent years it should be sung and sung loud as we leave the EU

The nations not so blest as thee
Must in their turn to tyrants fall
While we will flourish ,great and free
The dread and envy of them all

Quite apt I think , Rule the waves ? Maybe not any more but by God and all thats holy we will rule ourselves .

papasmurf

It should be changed to Britain Waives The Rules.

HDQQ

They're probably going to stop performing this ridiculous and pompous song at the Last Night of the Proms. Jolly good thing too. Time we stopped living in the past. Britannia hasn't ruled the waves for decades and it never will again. America rules the waves now and I wouldn't be surprised if China rules the waves in within my lifetime. But whichever way we look at it, Britannia does not rule the waves!

But . . . Land of Hope and Glory - that's more appropriate and they can keep singing that.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!