Britannia does not rule the waves.

Started by HDQQ, August 24, 2020, 08:15:34 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 26, 2020, 07:54:35 AM

There are not many tunes or songs that come to mind for an English anthem , Jerusalem has been used at recent Commonwealth games medal ceremonies taking over from Land of hope and glory which was ditched  after the 2006 games . I guess it would be one of those .

This seems apt:-

Lyrics
Maggie Holland's original version of A Place Called England

I rode out on a bright May morning like a hero in a song,
Looking for a place called England, trying to find where I belong.
Couldn't find the old flood meadow or the house that I once knew;
No trace of the little river or the garden where I grew.

I saw town and I saw country, motorway and sink estate;
Rich man in his rolling acres, poor man still outside the gate;
Retail park and burger kingdom, prairie field and factory farm,
Run by men who think that England's only a place to park their car.

But as the train pulled from the station through the wastelands of despair
From the corner of my eye a brightness filled the filthy air.
Someone's grown a patch of sunflowers though the soil is sooty black,
Marigolds and a few tomatoes right beside the railway track.

Down behind the terraced houses, in between the concrete towers,
Compost heaps and scarlet runners, secret gardens full of flowers.
Meeta grows her scented roses right beneath the big jets' path.
Bid a fortune for her garden—Eileen turns away and laughs.

So rise up, George, and wake up, Arthur, time to rouse out from your sleep.
Deck the horse with sea-green ribbons, drag the old sword from the deep.
Hold the line for Dave and Daniel as they tunnel through the clay,
While the oak in all its glory soaks up sun for one more day.

Come all you at home with freedom whatever the land that gave you birth,
There's room for you both root and branch as long as you love the English earth.
Room for vole and room for orchid, room for all to grow and thrive;
Just less room for the fat landowner on his arse in his four-wheel drive.

For England is not flag or Empire, it is not money, it is not blood.
It's limestone gorge and granite fell, it's Wealden clay and Severn mud,
It's blackbird singing from the May tree, lark ascending through the scales,
Robin watching from your spade and English earth beneath your nails.

So here's two cheers for a place called England, sore abused but not yet dead;
A Mr Harding sort of England hanging in there by a thread.
Here's two cheers for the crazy diggers, now their hour shall come around;
We shall plant the seed they saved us, common wealth and common ground.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 26, 2020, 07:54:35 AM

Not quite Thomas .GSTQ is of course the national anthem of all Crown dependencies and overseas territories where it is proudly played and sung at official functions and at the raising of the flag at official residence and military bases . 

You can bury your head in the sand and say the song is played wherever you like , the point is outside of england in these islands , it isnt much liked , isnt accepted and alternative songs are sung by the majority.

Forcing the song on others isnt a measure of acceptance or pride?

You are on a different planet if you think the vast majority of scots take pride in that song.

QuoteIn sport of course we all turn nationalistic ,if we are not already  ;) and its right that separate nations have their own tune .

So why doesnt england have its own tune?

England isnt the uk , it makes up 40% of the land of these islands , the dirge " GSTQ is supposed to be the uk anthem , so why is one tiny constituent part of the uk , england , using it as its song in all or the majroity of its sporting events? ;)

QuoteAnd yes the BBC should be defunded

agreed.

QuoteIts long stopped being a national broadcaster

its never been our national broadcaster. We have regualr protests outside pacific quay and mass non payment of the licence fee.

Quotenow being the home of left wing Guardian carrying tossers with no other agenda than promoting minorities and pissing off the general public at every opportunity .

I think i showed before how the bbc in scotland was staffed full of labour toadies...

QuoteOh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive: BBC Scotland and the Labour Party

QuoteWelcome to The Family; the BBC Scotland family aka the Labour Party.

The Family resides in Glasgow and is presided over by Ken McQuarrie. Ken MacQuarrie's Head of News at BBC Scotland is John, John Boothman. John is married to Susan, Susan is Susan Deacon. Susan is a former Labour MSP and Health Minister at Holyrood.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/bbc-chief-too-close-to-labour-claims-ex-colleague.22317694

Ken's Head of Online News is Tom, Tom Connor. Tom and John are said to have offered media training to Labour Party wannabe politicians. Tom's department operates BBC Scotland blogs; infamous for their ban on public comments, unlike any other part of the UK.

Another Tom is Tom McCabe. Tom is a member of the Scottish Labour Party and used to be an MSP. Tom also used to be the partner of Lorraine, Lorraine Davidson. Lorraine's career has swung between the Labour Party and the BBC. She used to be a spin-doctor – with the Labour Party or was it the BBC? Not too sure on that one. Lorraine became a weel-kent voice on BBC Scotland frequently ushered in to air her views on all the big issues of the day. Lorraine is now married to David.

David is David Martin and he's a Labour Party MEP. David Martin is friends with Catriona, Catriona Renton. Catriona loves politics which is good because that's what she covers as a BBC Scotland reporter. Catriona was a Labour councillor in Glasgow with ambitions to become an MSP but sadly didn't get elected in 2003. Catriona is a friendly sort of lady with Facebook chums the likes of Jackie Baillie ( herself a very friendly lady who is also chums with Gary Robertson and Alan Clements hubby of Kirsty Wark ), Yousuf Hamid, Tom Harris, Mike Dailly, Frank McAveety, John Robertson, John Park, Steven Purcell, Dave Watson – is there Labour person Catriona isn't chummy with?

https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/oh-what-a-tangled-web-we-weave-when-first-we-practice-to-deceive-bbc-scotland-and-the-labour-party/
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on August 25, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
No self respecting scotsman has ever affiliated himself with that song since it was invented in the 18th century.

As i said , culturally outside england it is seen as a racist sectarian song sung by  rangers fans  , so the point im making is it isnt "british " but english , and if you and yours want to sing it good on you , adopt it as the official english anthem or whatever song you want. Take your pick

Second point i was trying to make is i wouldnt be letting a bunch of woke clowns tell me what song i can and can't sing in my country , and as for auntie beeb , she should be the one getting cancelled.

Not quite Thomas .GSTQ is of course the national anthem of all Crown dependencies and overseas territories where it is proudly played and sung at official functions and at the raising of the flag at official residence and military bases . 

In sport of course we all turn nationalistic ,if we are not already  ;) and its right that separate nations have their own tune .

There are not many tunes or songs that come to mind for an English anthem , Jerusalem has been used at recent Commonwealth games medal ceremonies taking over from Land of hope and glory which was ditched  after the 2006 games . I guess it would be one of those .

And yes the BBC should be defunded . Its long stopped being a national broadcaster ,now being the home of left wing Guardian carrying tossers with no other agenda than promoting minorities and pissing off the general public at every opportunity . 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 25, 2020, 09:49:49 PM
Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

A bit strong — but why did it take until the 'sixties for Scotland to come up with an unofficial song of their own...?

That apparently was a short lived verse from 1745.

patman post

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

A bit strong — but why did it take until the 'sixties for Scotland to come up with an unofficial song of their own...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on August 25, 2020, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: Thomas on August 25, 2020, 04:31:03 PM
https://youtu.be/fKCPMJu1088

They are certainly making a sad spectacle of themselves and Scottish football, but that is the footie for you.

From what I can see this year's Proms are looking to be a BLM sing-along, which will no doubt please them, the BBC which appears to have a death wish and the government which longs to make Auntie's wish come true.

FFS borkie , where have you been for the last three hundred years.

No self respecting scotsman has ever affiliated himself with that song since it was invented in the 18th century.

As i said , culturally outside england it is seen as a racist sectarian song sung by  rangers fans  , so the point im making is it isnt "british " but english , and if you and yours want to sing it good on you , adopt it as the official english anthem or whatever song you want. Take your pick

Second point i was trying to make is i wouldnt be letting a bunch of woke clowns tell me what song i can and cant sing in my country , and as for auntie beeb , she should be the one getting cancelled.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on August 25, 2020, 04:31:03 PM
https://youtu.be/fKCPMJu1088

They are certainly making a sad spectacle of themselves and Scottish football, but that is the footie for you.

From what I can see this year's Proms are looking to be a BLM sing-along, which will no doubt please them, the BBC which appears to have a death wish and the government which longs to make Auntie's wish come true.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Thomas

love this version of my nations national song...........

https://youtu.be/Vyx1xeZo_tk

Thomas

https://youtu.be/IuqovH1mRTo

Its feckin farcical to pretend anyone outside of england actually thinks GSTQ , jerusalem , land of hope and glory or whatever is acutally counted as being anything other than england anthem.

Make it official , and sing it with pride england.

...cause we sing our nations songs with pride....

Thomas

Thomas

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on August 24, 2020, 08:15:34 AM

But . . . Land of Hope and Glory - that's more appropriate and they can keep singing that.

Good choice quackers.........or what about jerusalem?

Good english songs.

I think it about time you english had a song of your own to sing instead of this farce you have at the minute.

GSTQ is shunned by the majority of scots and seen as a sectarian football song with connections to northern irish bigotry , we sing flower of scotland  , scots wha hae etc etc , the welsh have land of my fathers , and the northern irish are split between singing the sectarian GSTQ and the soldiers song or various other irish anthems.

I think it time the english started taking pride in their country.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 25, 2020, 09:55:43 AM

Silly point of view. Of course there will.

Well it was just stated on the forum if there were a Labour government there would be no country I don't see you criticising that.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 25, 2020, 07:00:48 AM

Shortly after January 2021 there won't be a country to bother about either.
Silly point of view. Of course there will.
† The end is nigh †