Time-wasting UK makes post-Brexit deal unlikely, says Barnier

Started by Dynamis, August 26, 2020, 08:09:43 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on August 29, 2020, 11:45:37 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 11:30:28 AM

Certainly wish my fellow Englishfolk didn't vote the way they did, and I wish we weren't undemocratically dragging you out against your wishes, but I personally can't change that.. unless you're suggesting I join the tooting popular front and try a '91 mortar bomb type thing on no 10. :)

Well they are , england voted democratically to leave , and so it should. What more needs said on the subject except to correct gerry when he tries to spin 52% as not being a majority acceptable to democracy?

Ok fair enough. I'm with you on this one.

But you do accept that Nigel Farage said exactly the same thing as Gerry - "in a 48/52 split, this would be unfinished business by a long way" as I recall.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said : "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

Asked by the BBC about his Daily Mirror comments, Mr Farage said he was not admitting defeat in the referendum, saying: "I think we are going to win."

But he added: "If we were to lose narrowly, there'd be a large section, particularly in the Conservative Party, who'd feel the prime minister is not playing fair, that the Remain side is using way more money than the Leave side and there would be a resentment that would build up if that was to be the result."

Odd how he got the %'s dead on eh?! Some would even say speculative..

But there would've been acrimony if the result was reversed. But I do agree with you - just saying Farage echoed Gerry's thoughts on this during the ref.

+++

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on August 29, 2020, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 29, 2020, 11:51:14 AM
But then the SNP knew they were being used by the EU and saw it as an opportunity to create mayhem and maybe gain independence, I have never been convinced that the EU would want the Scots anyway come the end of it all, of course they made all the right sounds at the right times, but that is something we will see. I don't even know if the majority of scots when it comes right down too the nitty gritty knowing what they also have to give up to join the EU will go for it. Thomas once told they did, and they would accept it, I was never so sure on that one. Under the SNP they have gained special attention and a better standard of living in most cases than the rest of the UK, I somehow doubt they would get the same level once the EU take over. I am sure their are arguments for and against, there always is.

What are you trying to tell me the snp forced every politician and political party in scotland , never mind 62% of the voting public , to vote to stay in the eu?

The undeniable fact you and your fellows can't face is the fact scotland voted to remain , you put your brexit argument to us and we said no thanks , and now we are being dragged out against our will.

That fact wont go away.

Its no less head in the sand than gerry saying 52% isnt an acceptable majority.

We are where we are , so lets see what the near future brings.
I am not trying to tell you anything Thomas, I am just mulling over the different options, I also know how polls are skewed at most times for political beliefs at any one time, just taking a common sense view of it all really.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on August 29, 2020, 11:51:14 AM
But then the SNP knew they were being used by the EU and saw it as an opportunity to create mayhem and maybe gain independence, I have never been convinced that the EU would want the Scots anyway come the end of it all, of course they made all the right sounds at the right times, but that is something we will see. I don't even know if the majority of scots when it comes right down too the nitty gritty knowing what they also have to give up to join the EU will go for it. Thomas once told they did, and they would accept it, I was never so sure on that one. Under the SNP they have gained special attention and a better standard of living in most cases than the rest of the UK, I somehow doubt they would get the same level once the EU take over. I am sure their are arguments for and against, there always is.

What are you trying to tell me the snp forced every politician and political party in scotland , never mind 62% of the voting public , to vote to stay in the eu?

The undeniable fact you and your fellows cant face is the fact scotland voted to remain , you put your brexit argument to us and we said no thanks , and now we are being dragged out against our will.

That fact wont go away.

Its no less head in the sand than gerry saying 52% isnt an acceptable majority.

We are where we are , so lets see what the near future brings.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 11:30:28 AM

Certainly wish my fellow Englishfolk didn't vote the way they did, and I wish we weren't undemocratically dragging you out against your wishes, but I personally can't change that.. unless you're suggesting I join the tooting popular front and try a '91 mortar bomb type thing on no 10. :)

Well they are , england voted democratically to leave , and so it should. What more needs said on the subject except to correct gerry when he tries to spin 52% as not being a majority acceptable to democracy?

Borg Refinery

And I have empathy (not sympathy) for your country too, what more need be said?

Btw I note westminster's planning a big power grab from Scotland right now, sounds like it might need to go to the supreme court..
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on August 28, 2020, 05:16:47 PM

In fairness Thomas, Gerry's country is going to suffer from no deal Brexit quite badly as I recall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/no-deal-brexit-oecd-warns-ireland-will-be-worst-hit-outside-uk-1.4023672?mode=amp

It seems logical for him to oppose it, and for what it's worth I hate the idea of the folks down south losing out. Just saying is all.

Eh?

Are you being serious dyno?

Scotland voted 62% remain , and we are being told to shut up jocks , england has spoken , and we are being dragged through the shite behind your country , and you tell me in fairness the irish might suffer?

FFS dyno , do you do irony or whit?

The irish may very well suffer to a degree over brexit , but unfortunately thats what happens in a world where countries are intertwined. Unfortunately you have to accept democracy and what other countries choose to do even if it isnt in your interests.

However , as an independent nation , the irish can mitigate those circumstances that may hurt them slightly . We cant.

I have sympathy for the irish.

....but no cant on this earth is going to try and spin anything over 50+1% as being unacceptable for democracy. Its shite. You i and gerry and everyone elses knows its shite , and no matter how many times bleating remainers cry 52% as not being acceptable , it wont wash in the slightest.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on August 28, 2020, 01:24:11 AM
Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2020, 11:14:42 PMAbsolute bollox.
Remainers stalled the whole process not Brexiteers, both in parliament and in the courts. Bercow should be hung for what he did, complete cock.
Remainers are from the UK, the point to sheepy was it wasn't Barnier dragging things out and delaying the process. There was so much talk on here at the time with talk of May delaying things in an effort to keep the UK in.
Which was happily backed by the EU. In fact they revelled in it. Only a fool would think differently.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 28, 2020, 06:21:46 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 28, 2020, 06:02:25 AMWhat about our black hole?

Our black hole is going to be filled a whole lot faster with the money leak to the EU terminated

According to those figures it really is a drop in the ocean.

The double hit of a 2nd wave & NDBrexit is forecast by all forecasters, to deliver us even worse growth than we already have - and we are facing a recession likely to be the worst since the 1700's.

We voted for Boris and no deal so fine, but imho there's no need to gloss over the consequences.

If I voted for Corbyn and he got in and we had a 1973 nightmare or a winter of discontent nightmare scenario, I would have taken responsibility as one who voted for it.

This is exactly the same except folks are absolving themselves of any responsibility for the guys they voted for.
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis on August 28, 2020, 06:02:25 AMWhat about our black hole?

Our black hole is going to be filled a whole lot faster with the money leak to the EU terminated
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on August 28, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
But to really break up the EU you just need to get Jen hired by the EU as a ttranslator during budget discussions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csLgX1IHPJs

Not rocket science really.
It certainly ain't keep it up.

Borg Refinery

But to really break up the EU you just need to get Jen hired by the EU as a ttranslator during budget discussions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csLgX1IHPJs

Not rocket science really.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Baff on August 28, 2020, 05:37:06 PM
Yes, Brexit is bad news for Ireland.
Which while not our fault or our problem, is a regret.

I don't wish them any ill.

Caught between a rock and a hard place. Kind of thing.
It will be interesting to watch what happens there next.
I think the EU just lost a fair bit of it's attractiveness to them.

I'm curious to see if over the coming years it will result in a diplomatic realignment there.

A conversation about the EU either becoling more confederative (my preference) or more integrated is in the wirks right now.

I think the EU will suitably reform itself as it always does. To my mind, Thatcher's Bruges Speech was because the EU embraced UK Trade Unions which she perceived as a stab in the back; by the late 80's the EU was turning away from overly harsh neoliberal policies...it's taken a long time but they've evolved from being a purely self interested neolib project IMHO, which is why I'm a Europhile.
+++

Baff

Yes, Brexit is bad news for Ireland.
Which while not our fault or our problem, is a regret.

I don't wish them any ill.

Caught between a rock and a hard place. Kind of thing.
It will be interesting to watch what happens there next.
I think the EU just lost a fair bit of it's attractiveness to them.

I'm curious to see if over the coming years it will result in a diplomatic realignment there.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on August 28, 2020, 07:04:59 AM
Quote from: GerryT on August 28, 2020, 01:14:40 AM

Now there was a large number of lies during the leaving process, no need to list them but so many.
Yes the electorate did say leave but the UK was divided, it wasn't a clear mandate, roughly a 50/50 split.

I cannae believe you are still on here trying , and failing to punt this auld shite gerry.

How many times do we need to go over this "lies" issue , as though only brexiters lied? Remain lies was well documented , indeed you couldnt get more of a remainer than the snp Alec Salmond , and he told the english remainers like cameron to tone down the lies and the rhetoric and overall scaremongering about remaining in the eu in case it backfired on them , which it spectacularly did.

The pro remain campaign in england was feckin woefull. I say the pro remain in england because remain won in northern ireland and scotland.

They lied though their teeth , totally over egged the pudding  , and the english and welsh voter predictably stuck two fingers up to them.

People like you focus on boris johnson and farage etc , but the fact of the matter is the pro remain camp in england gifted brexiters the referendum result with the bollocks they talked , and still spout today in bitterness.

By continuing to scaremonger , english remainers are empowering brexiters. Sitting on the edge of their seats choking to say "i told you so " in the hope things turn bad will do nothing more than ensure england never rejoins the eu no matter what , nor does a deal that in any way accepts any eu rules and regualtions. You are gifting the more extreme brexiters a hard brexit and swwitching off the popualtion to any form of measured discussion. Its feckin pitifull watching it.

QuoteYes the electorate did say leave but the UK was divided, it wasn't a clear mandate, roughly a 50/50 split.

You have some feckin neck coming out with this shite. You , an irishman , whose country left the uk off the back of a mandate in the 1918 general election where the party standing on a leave ticket , sinn fein , only managed to get 46.9% of the total irish vote , which was enough you tell us for ireland to leave the uk , now telling the uk 52% of the vote isnt a mandate to leave the eu?

This is laughable remainer shite. You have been listening to remainers zealots too much.

The rules of the ref , where we all agreed 50+1 was a majority were well known before voting commenced.

If brexiters had won 60 or 70 % , there would still be the anti democrats bleating about there being too big a remain minority for the uk to brexit.

This constant raking over the coals in bitterness is getting feckin silly now.

The uk is leaving  , and we will see what we will see january onwards. No amount of crying over spilt milk is going to change  that.

In fairness Thomas, Gerry's country is going to suffer from no deal Brexit quite badly as I recall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/no-deal-brexit-oecd-warns-ireland-will-be-worst-hit-outside-uk-1.4023672?mode=amp

It seems logical for him to oppose it, and for what it's worth I hate the idea of the folks down south losing out. Just saying is all.
+++