Some Good News Bercow has gone

Started by Churchill, October 31, 2019, 09:02:31 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3826 time=1572860371 user_id=89
I thought the list of candidates for speaker will not be known until after 10.30 hours today.

Only another 5 minutes to wait!  :dncg:

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=3824 time=1572859569 user_id=84
Whoever is appointed as his successor will find it difficult to get his shoes on, let alone fill them, since they are so small!

:lol:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I thought the list of candidates for speaker will not be known until after 10.30 hours today.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Major Sinic

Quote from: Barry post_id=3379 time=1572556457 user_id=51
I just watched yesterday's question time and people were being very kind to him. It's a bit like not speaking ill of the dead, or giving a member of staff you want to get rid of, a recommendation and glowing report. I'd have just thought "sling yer 'ook!"

Politicians of all the trades, are surely the most practised exponents of hypocrisy in the land. Where else therefore would you expect to see hours of false adulatory speeches about a man who is variously and accurately described as partisan, arrogant, superior, bullying, pompous and reckless with taxpayers money, than the Palace of Westminster. I suspect the obnoxious gnome was sufficiently gullible and conceited to believe that each complimentary statement was sincere!

Whoever is appointed as his successor will find it difficult to get his shoes on, let alone fill them, since they are so small!

Churchill

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3543 time=1572680947 user_id=75
I've been pretty busy of late so haven't had a chance to review the eight candidates standing.

Party affiliation isn't neccesarily an issue for me given that Bercow was a Conservative MP prior to becoming Speaker, and I have respected the integrity of some Conservative MP's even if I disagreed with their politics.

The role demands someone who is fair, has integrity, is knowledgable of parliamentary processes and is conmitted to ensuring the encumbent government is held to account irrespective regardless of their political background.

The obvious choices would be one of those who has served as a deputy speaker since they already have some of the required experience.

The problem being that the Government and many pundits both claim he was not impartial at all, in fact very biased in favour of the opposition on occasions thwarting the open and honest debate in the house.

Some of the staff that did work for him also claim he is a bully one member of staff at least left becuase of his behaviour, bullying in the workplace is unlawful allegedly due to the power of his Office no investigation was carried out which is the norm if any other workplace.

Now he has gone an investigation may take place we will have to wait and see, some go as far as claiming his behaviour when in office was totally unacceptable both in the House and towards his staff, however being a politician I doubt if anything will be done or considered he will be given a peerage and stay on board the gravy train
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3396 time=1572561183 user_id=75
He's been an excellent Speaker of the House and his departure is a sad loss to parliament. Whoever succeeds him has big shoes to fill.

I just hope we don't end up with a pro-government stooge.

That's my feeling as well. He's a very intelligent man.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Thomas

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3543 time=1572680947 user_id=75
I've been pretty busy of late so haven't had a chance to review the eight candidates standing.

Party affiliation isn't neccesarily an issue for me given that Bercow was a Conservative MP prior to becoming Speaker, and I have respected the integrity of some Conservative MP's even if I disagreed with their politics.

The role demands someone who is fair, has integrity, is knowledgable of parliamentary processes and is conmitted to ensuring the encumbent government is held to account irrespective regardless of their political background.

The obvious choices would be one of those who has served as a deputy speaker since they already have some of the required experience.

Good post ciaphas , and one i fully agree with.

As you know we are trying to take all the scottish representatives out your parliament  , so quite frankly im not bothered who replaces bercow.

Im sure pat in his above post referencing wistfully about baron Martin of springburn can only long for the days when scotland sent down the feeble fifty labour toadies like gorbals mick , weasals who knew their place at the englishmans table instead of those nasty snp ruffians.

I digress though , while we in scotland are forced to endure the spectacle of scottish politicians being sent to your parliament , then i fully agree with you in the hope a suitable candidate replaces bercow.

Dont hold your breath though......
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Ciaphas

Quote from: Thomas post_id=3428 time=1572606133 user_id=58
Who would you like to see ciaphas?

Thomas

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=3452 time=1572621162 user_id=70
I guess he feels 10 years is enough. Shame really as he seemed ready to give the less-pushy more chances in the general cut and thrust of Commons' debates. Hope there's not another uselessly incompetent Gorbals Mick appointed...

so do i . My aim is to take the likes of englishmen in denial like gorbals mick out of your parliament . I would hope the dross that is left could promote someone of  stature that is competent without the scottish irish or welsh having to hold your hand.

I didnt mind bercow , from what little i saw of him being an outsider looking in .

Still pat , i wouldnt keep my hopes up if i were you relying on that feudal relic of a parliament . Its who you know , not what you know  , and the meaning of meritocracy has eluded westminster for centuries.

slainte mhath. :hattip

patman post

I guess he feels 10 years is enough. Shame really as he seemed ready to give the less-pushy more chances in the general cut and thrust of Commons' debates. Hope there's not another uselessly incompetent Gorbals Mick appointed...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3396 time=1572561183 user_id=75
He's been an excellent Speaker of the House and his departure is a sad loss to parliament. Whoever succeeds him has big shoes to fill.

Who would you like to see ciaphas?

Ciaphas

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=3379 time=1572556457 user_id=51
I just watched yesterday's question time and people were being very kind to him. It's a bit like not speaking ill of the dead, or giving a member of staff you want to get rid of, a recommendation and glowing report. I'd have just thought "sling yer 'ook!"

Two faced bastards spring to mind.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

I think some were being very diplomatic after all he did until today hold the highest political post in the land, some were possibly thinking the old proverb " Be careful of the toes you step on today, they maybe connected to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow"  :D

Barry

† The end is nigh †