Cultural appropriation

Started by T00ts, August 31, 2020, 08:43:33 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2020, 10:01:12 AM

I thought 'dreads' were religious based, therefore available to any followers.

Followers being the operative word.  Just having dreads and smoking ganja doesn't qualify.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 09:50:03 AMWhite people with dreadlocks.  On a personal note, I was in Breton "bandit country," and purchased a T-shirt with Breizh Atao (Brittany Forever.) on it.
After being told the significance of it, very quietly a few days later, I have never worn it again in Brittany.

It was the emblem and motto of a group of Bretons who would have co-operated with the Nazis during the occupation in return for an independent Brittany. (Still raises strong emotions.)

I thought 'dreads' were religious based, therefore available to any followers. The Breton thing I can understand as it was a political thing more than culture.

Borg Refinery

All qi know is that blackface could be offensive (maybe whiteface could if a black person did it), but I can't help finding stuff like this and bo selecta funny, because I'm crass. ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws235sUCGHA
+++

T00ts

I guess I imagine that if someone was to suddenly start talking with a different accent and adopting all the traditions and styles of another country full time that could be cultural appropriation but as you say that's private choice. The problem I guess is if someone in the public eye was to suddenly do it.

Imagine BJ arriving at HofC PM questions in long robes speaking patois and with a black face. After the laughter stopped I suppose the opposition benches would walk out in fake or otherwise contempt, lobby for his removal or whatever. No doubt he would appear the next day with a fulsome apology, on bended knee, or possible hands crossed on his chest gazing upwards.

It really bugs me that far from diversity and acceptance we are being pushed by those with agendas into even tighter separation. Perhaps there is a fear that cultural differences are being lost in this global world.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2020, 09:40:26 AM

Do you have any examples of that? I don't know what they would be.

White people with dreadlocks.  On a personal note, I was in Breton "bandit country," and purchased a T-shirt with Breizh Atao (Brittany Forever.) on it.
After being told the significance of it, very quietly a few days later, I have never worn it again in Brittany.

It was the emblem and motto of a group of Bretons who would have co-operated with the Nazis during the occupation in return for an independent Brittany. (Still raises strong emotions.)

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2020, 09:39:37 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 31, 2020, 09:31:43 AM
You are probably living in some weird alt reality, we all are.

The answer is there's nothing at all wrong with it as you say.

So when it was discovered that the Canadian PM blacked up years ago presumably as fancy dress why was he forced to apologise?

Because some alt-righters with a need to attack him got ahold of it to say "look these liberals are hypocrites!" as if we didn't already know that.

QuotePapa says that cultural appropriation is changing one's life style etc to that of another culture on a day to day basis - I think he means. That I can understand. That's just weird. Why would anyone want to do that if they are of sound mind?

It's their choice, you'd have to ask them or Adele or whatever, not really sure how you'd "change your lifestyle" day to day? You mean dress differently? People dress up all the time.
+++

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 09:36:01 AMThere are some emblems and items of cultural attire that cause serious offense to those who are the only people entitled to wear them.
It  can and does lead to violence.

Do you have any examples of that? I don't know what they would be.

T00ts

So when it was discovered that the Canadian PM blacked up years ago presumably as fancy dress why was he forced to apologise? Papa says that cultural appropriation is changing one's life style etc to that of another culture on a day to day basis - I think he means. That I can understand. That's just weird. Why would anyone want to do that if they are of sound mind?

papasmurf

There are some emblems and items of cultural attire that cause serious offense to those who are the only people entitled to wear them.
It  can and does lead to violence.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2020, 08:43:33 AM
Adele has just been accused of this because she wore a bikini designed with the Jamaican flag and put her hair in Bantu knots all over her head apparently in reference to the Notting Hill Carnival which has been cancelled.

I don't understand this at all. Why is it wrong to copy a style from another culture? Why is it wrong for me to plait my hair in braids yet a person of colour can straighten theirs? As a student I wore a sari to a party provided for me by an Indian friend. She even dressed me so it was correctly worn. It was stunning.  Presumably if I were to do this now I would be in trouble from those who no longer see it as a compliment to their style and traditions but theft in some way. In the same way I cannot change my skin colour even for a stage performance, no matter the reason, without being vilified forever even if it was years ago when social norms were so different.

Can anyone explain this to me? I seem to be living in a parallel universe that no longer seems logical.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on August 31, 2020, 09:26:39 AM

Yeah, whites should be white! How dare they!

Is this like that time you rejected the culture of hertfordshire, sold up and moved to Cornwall as a Thatcherite relentless self improver ought to?

I am not from Hertfordshire, I have ancestral DNA tests that prove I am not. I moved to Cornwall on medical advice, and Thatcher's policies closed down the factory I worked in at the time.
It is not a subject for levity.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2020, 09:20:33 AM
It is not the copying of a style that is the problem it is the total rejection of your own culture and  totally adopting another foreign culture.

Yeah, whites should be white! How dare they!

Is this like that time you rejected the culture of hertfordshire, sold up and moved to Cornwall as a Thatcherite relentless self improver ought to?

+++

papasmurf

It is not the copying of a style that is the problem it is the total rejection of your own culture and  totally adopting another foreign culture.

papasmurf

T00ts

Adele has just been accused of this because she wore a bikini designed with the Jamaican flag and put her hair in Bantu knots all over her head apparently in reference to the Notting Hill Carnival which has been cancelled.

I don't understand this at all. Why is it wrong to copy a style from another culture? Why is it wrong for me to plait my hair in braids yet a person of colour can straighten theirs? As a student I wore a sari to a party provided for me by an Indian friend. She even dressed me so it was correctly worn. It was stunning.  Presumably if I were to do this now I would be in trouble from those who no longer see it as a compliment to their style and traditions but theft in some way. In the same way I cannot change my skin colour even for a stage performance, no matter the reason, without being vilified forever even if it was years ago when social norms were so different.

Can anyone explain this to me? I seem to be living in a parallel universe that no longer seems logical.