Have I lost the plot?

Started by T00ts, August 31, 2020, 02:20:13 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 01:16:05 PMi agree with the first part , but not the second .

i pointed out earlier where you misrepresented him , over the "10% " figure , and you backtracked saying you had merely rounded it up.
I was in a hurry, so retyping his 91% words was slower than saying 10%.

If it really gets your goat, I'm happy to concede I should have said 9%.

Still doesn't get around the fact he was selectively quoting figures (by refering to the English channel which is around 5% of the total cod Quota) to give an impression contrary to the whole picture.

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 01:16:05 PMYour country , england voted overwhlemignly for brexit. 54% was the number from memory.
And in the spirit of your last post, where you complained about me rounding 9% to 10%, I should point out you have rounded up 53.4% to 54% and therefore misrepresented the figures.

The final tally is here

Leave 53.3761%
15,188,406 VOTES
Remain 46.6623%
13,266,996 VOTES

You can happily call that overwhelming if you like.

But you clearly still support Scottish independence and would (I assume) relish another vote on it and vote to leave (the UK)

Similarly I would relish another vote and vote to rejoin. (the EU).

I have accepted both the result and the fact that brexit (and the mandate from 2016) have happened. 

The referendum in no way mandated the type of brexit, only that the UK cease to be a member of the EU.

The UK did indeed cease to be a member of the EU.  That is an unarguable fact. 

Now, as for the future, I am keen that the Leave promises made before (and after) the referendum are honoured.

So far it looks like they won't be.

With respect to fishing it seems likely the industry will see further decline not a resurgence.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2020, 01:30:15 PM

So what would you base it on? Leave has to win by 2 to 1 majority?

At least 60% of the electorate would have been closer to normal for such important referendums.

So using your numbers we should never have had the 1975 referendum which Wilson won a majority in the 74 GE of just 0.7%.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

If robin cooks stitch up had been applied to the scottish referendum of 2014.....

QuoteFun trivia fact: if the 40% rule had been in place for the independence referendum, and ABSOLUTELY NOBODY in Scotland had voted No, the Yes vote of 1.62 million still wouldn't have been enough to win under Cunningham's rule, representing as it did just 38% of the entire registered electorate. That's how crooked it was.

Dont let anti democractic remainers spin this shite about 40 or 60 % of the elec torate to you.

Every scottish schoolchild is taught about robin cooks anti demcortic stitch up in 1979 , and how did it turn out? Did it stop devolution? No it kept growing till it was implemented 20 years later.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Even labour mp and anti devolutionist tam dalyell said he had deep misgivings about robin cooks 40% of the electorate rule stitch up , and tam said "it doesnt seem the britishway of doing things."

This is what bitter little anti tory anti english/british people like pappy smurf is championing.

By christ how some people hate their own country.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:32:58 PM

At least 60% of the electorate would have been closer to normal for such important referendums.

The 11 referendums that has been held in the uk since the seventies have by and large been based on a simple majority .(50+1)

The only one i can think of which was different was the 1979 scottish devolution referendum ,where again the anti democratic labour party , though robin cook , stitched it up for 40% of the electorate , and then got around denying a yes vote by doing everything in their power to make it as difficult for people to gain acces onto the electoral role.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2020, 01:25:50 PM

Finally!! An admission that Remoaners think it should have been rigged in their favour. Unbelievable.

No admission at all, if you bother to check few referenda are based on a simple majority.
(By the way and yet again I only voted remain because I knew the Tories would make a bog of Brexit.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2020, 01:25:50 PM

Finally!! An admission that Remoaners think it should have been rigged in their favour. Unbelievable.

No admission at all, if you bother to check few referenda are based on a simple majority.
(By the way and yet again I only voted remain because I knew the Tories would make a bog of Brexit.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:21:01 PMCameron should never have just let it be a simple majority referendum.

Thomas

Quote from:  papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:21:01 PM

Not on such a serious issue, Cameron should never have just let it be a simple majority referendum. That was always going to end in tears.

What would have been acceptable to the anti democratic remainers ( apart from you who supported the end of FOM and immigration)?

99% ?

80%?

Stop crying over spilt milk. You dont care about brexit , merely enjoy opposing the tories as i have always said , and so can't be taken serious.

If the tories were pro remain , you would support brexit , such is you fickle nature.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 06, 2020, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 06, 2020, 12:53:59 PM

47/53 was overwhelming enough! It would have been if had been reversed no doubt.

The problem is it is not overwhelming at all it is the percentages of those who bothered to vote.  17 million or so compared to the 48 million or so registered electorate just is not a majority in such an important issue.

The turnout was 33.5 million not 17. It was over 72% turnout so yes it was a massive win. If people can't be bothered to vote then they don't count in any statistics.

Thomas

The problem is it is not overwhelming at all it is the percentages of those who bothered to vote.  17 million or so compared to the 48 million or so registered electorate just is not a majority in such an important issue.

such is demcoracy. No one questioned the large part of the electorate tony blair turned off from voting in his subsequent electoral victories , with barely 59 % turning out in 2001.

...all of a sudden , it only becomes important when anti demcrats lose.

You should have brought in compulsory voting for 2016 if you thought it important , not bleated about it later.

If you dont vote , you dont have a say , and can thus be discounted.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 06, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

They were the ones that matter!

Not on such a serious issue, Cameron should never have just let it be a simple majority referendum. That was always going to end in tears.

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts on September 06, 2020, 12:53:59 PM

47/53 was overwhelming enough! It would have been if had been reversed no doubt.

They were the ones that matter!

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 12:52:21 PM
So you seem to agree that he is using emotive nationalistic language which bears scant relation to truth.

i agree with the first part , but not the second .

i pointed out earlier where you misrepresented him , over the "10% " figure , and you backtracked saying you had merely rounded it up.

Im pointing out brexit all along , like scottish indy etc etc has always been about emotive language , and you have fought emotive language with emotionless figures , and lost every time.

Here is yet another perfect example of your cold emotionless twisting of what other people are saying..

QuoteWhilst we are on the subject of truth 47/53 is not really "over whelming".

Heres what i said...

QuoteI suggest you accept your country , which overwhelmingly voted for brexit , is too.

Your country , england voted overwhlemignly for brexit. 54% was the number from memory.

The reason i say 54% is overwhelming , because status quoers like you told us in scotland 55% was an overwhelming endorsement of the union in 2014.

on top of that , you english remainers have lost every single election since the 2016 referndum. So you can have it both ways.
but still don't have to think it's a good idea

No one is saying you have to think it a good idea. As long as democracy is enacted in 16 weeks , then thats all that mattters. Campaign once you are out for england to rejoin if you like.
2014 vote against Scottish independence is a good idea

Difference is i accepted the result , and took my medicine . You didnt and havent , and wether you like it or not , will be taking your medicine in 16 weeks time , fish feckin percentages or no fish percentages.