Have I lost the plot?

Started by T00ts, August 31, 2020, 02:20:13 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 06, 2020, 12:53:59 PM

47/53 was overwhelming enough! It would have been if had been reversed no doubt.

The problem is it is not overwhelming at all it is the percentages of those who bothered to vote.  17 million or so compared to the 48 million or so registered electorate just is not a majority in such an important issue.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 12:52:21 PM
So you seem to agree that he is using emotive nationalistic language which bears scant relation to truth.

Whilst we are on the subject of truth 47/53 is not really "over whelming".  I have accepted Brexit as a fact (I have to, it has happened), but still don't have to think it's a good idea anymore than you have to think the "overwhelming" (as I assume you think it must be) 2014 vote against Scottish independence is a good idea.

47/53 was overwhelming enough! It would have been if had been reversed no doubt.

BeElBeeBub

So you seem to agree that he is using emotive nationalistic language which bears scant relation to truth.

Whilst we are on the subject of truth 47/53 is not really "over whelming".  I have accepted Brexit as a fact (I have to, it has happened), but still don't have to think it's a good idea anymore than you have to think the "overwhelming" (as I assume you think it must be) 2014 vote against Scottish independence is a good idea.

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 11:30:02 AM

That's a very different message to DJ's tweet.

You twisted what he was saying , and accused him of using emotive language.

Digby jones  is a vain inglorious pompous little man full of his own self importance.

Every subject he talks about he gets emotive. Thats who he is , a glorified salesperson getting emotive about selling his wares.

You just dont get it. While you are trying to trip him up over "fish" percentages as though anyone remotely gives a flying feck , jones knows full well he has tapped into something greater ,.... emotive language surrounding nationalism , and taking back control.

The main thrust of his tweet is self explantatory  , and correct. These are uk waters , the uk is taking back control of them , and the eu is trying to bully the uk into submission on their terms.

He is then inviting the eu to reform itself and accept competition instead of chasing the status quo , ( like you are).

I have accepted that scotland is leavig the eu in 16 weeks time. I suggest you accept your country , which overwhelmingly voted for brexit , is too.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2020, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 11:30:02 AMto m
Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 10:50:01 AMI read his tweet and you seem to be twisting what he is saying?

He said 91%of non uk boats catch cod in the channel.

10% figure was about the haddock quota in uk waters , not channel waters.

I think you are desperately trying to split hairs on the subject beely.

If "non-UK EU boats take 91% of cod" then UK boats take 9% (rounded to 10%) of Corbin the channel.

Which is true, look at the quota figures listed. The UK quota is about 10% of the total *for the channel*

That's not in dispute.

The vital fact that Digby leaves out is that hardly any cod is caught in the channel.

95% of EU cod is caught *outside the channel*

Overall roughly ⅓of all the cod caught by EU boats caught by UK boats.

All these figures are pointless as the French and Spanish don't stick to the rules anyway so we don't know what is being pulled from the sea. I see Spanish pair trawlers inside the 12 mile UK zone on a regular basis when I'm out fishing. They are dragging nets half a mile wide.
One of the very reasons I agree with sustainable fishing. The EU are full of shit, fishing quotas my arse, it is everyman for himself.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 11:30:02 AMto m
Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 10:50:01 AMI read his tweet and you seem to be twisting what he is saying?

If "non-UK EU boats take 91% of cod" then UK boats take 9% (rounded to 10%) of Corbin the channel.

Which is true, look at the quota figures listed. The UK quota is about 10% of the total *for the channel*

That's not in dispute.

The vital fact that Digby leaves out is that hardly any cod is caught in the channel.

All these figures are pointless as the French and Spanish don't stick to the rules anyway so we don't know what is being pulled from the sea. I see Spanish pair trawlers inside the 12 mile UK zone on a regular basis when I'm out fishing. They are dragging nets half a mile wide.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 11:30:02 AMCorbin the channel.

I wish he was. I wouldn't throw the **** a life belt

papasmurf

Quite, a local man caught several cod when beach fishing on a nearby beach, the way he got excited about it you would have thought he had won the football pools.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

That's not in dispute.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 10:50:01 AMYou are screaming at yourself in a darkened room ,and the vast majority of folk are not listning to you.

Would make a great meme  :P

...makes post claiming "emotive" use of language...

...goes on to "emotively" repackage what was said...

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 10:50:01 AM
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 10:31:49 AM
Here is Digby Jones talking about fishing

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/1301871473422934016?s=19

QuoteIn UK waters, the UK can only catch 10% of the EU Haddock quota; the French take 66%. In the Channel, non-UK EU boats take 91% of cod. From 1/1/21 these are our waters Mr Barnier. For the last four years you should have been preparing for this moment re fishing instead of...assuming u could bully us into submission.The status quo just ain't going to happen, Brussels. Welcome to competition on your doorstep from the World's 5th largest economy outwith the EU. Why not reform the EU to meet the challenge instead of just trying to eliminate competition?

This is a superb example of how people twist the fishing debate.

The UK has (round numbers) 36kt of the 53kt EU Haddock quota.

Yes it is true that the UK only has 550t of the 5,500t EU cod Quota for the English channel.  However the English channel is a little over 5%.of the 90,000t EU cod Quota.

Most cod is caught in the North sea, off the coast of Norway, Greenland and iceland

Of the 90kt EU Cod quota the UK has
36kt, about ⅓.

So yeah, we don't catch much cod in the Channel because nobody catches much cod in the channel.

But "we only get 10% of the Cod quota in the English channel" is more emotive

I read his tweet and you seem to be twisting what he is saying?

Its over. The uk is leaving in 16 weeks , and his point is from the end of the year the uk is taking back control and isnt going to be bullied into submitting to eu rules  , which is what the voter told you time and again they dont like.

You are screaming at yourself in a darkened room ,and the vast majority of folk are not listning to you.

Floggin a dead horse.

Thanks Thomas that's how I read it too.

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 06, 2020, 10:31:49 AM

QuoteIn UK waters, the UK can only catch 10% of the EU Haddock quota; the French take 66%. In the Channel, non-UK EU boats take 91% of cod. From 1/1/21 these are our waters Mr Barnier. For the last four years you should have been preparing for this moment re fishing instead of...assuming u could bully us into submission.The status quo just ain't going to happen, Brussels. Welcome to competition on your doorstep from the World's 5th largest economy outwith the EU. Why not reform the EU to meet the challenge instead of just trying to eliminate competition?

Yes it is true that the UK only has 550t of the 5,500t EU cod Quota for the English channel.  However the English channel is a little over 5%.of the 90,000t EU cod Quota.

Most cod is caught in the North sea, off the coast of Norway, Greenland and iceland

36kt, about ⅓.

So yeah, we don't catch much cod in the Channel because nobody catches much cod in the channel.

I read his tweet and you seem to be twisting what he is saying?

Its over. The uk is leaving in 16 weeks , and his point is from the end of the year the uk is taking back control and isnt going to be bullied into submitting to eu rules  , which is what the voter told you time and again they dont like.

You are screaming at yourself in a darkened room ,and the vast majority of folk are not listning to you.

Floggin a dead horse.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

BeElBeeBub

36kt, about ⅓.

Baff

No one needs to take that back. Foreign investment in UK fishing fleets is very desirable.

Owners don't make all the money. Operators do.
Wages is where the profits primarily go.

The difference is that those boats/companies may now have to be registered in the UK.
Where before they didn't and weren't. They could even get more UK fishing lisences being registered elsewhere in the EU. Or even Russia.
And pay their taxes in other EU countries. And so on.

But that game is up now.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on September 04, 2020, 05:24:56 PMIn perpetuity.
LOL.
It's somewhat more complicated, in many cases JOhnny Foreigner that owns the fishing rights, actually own a UK registered trawler with UK fishermen working the boat. Not easy taking that back. It would be like telling all EU citizens living 10 yrs or more in the UK to get out of their house as it now belongs to the UK Johnson. Is that the future vision you have of the UK ?