Main Menu

Long Covid

Started by BeElBeeBub, August 31, 2020, 09:44:20 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 09:24:15 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 03, 2020, 09:21:43 AM

Watching BJ in PMQs he is in long covid.

Bojo-The-Clown can't blame that for Starmer wiping the floor with him after vile personal attack by Bojo on Starmer.

I'm not sure that PMQs is a fair playing field and is just grandstanding for the cameras and a bun fight for the MPs. It's unfairly put forward as a show of leaders' strength. Starmer is a man carrying a huge ball and chain on each ankle and from his position it's the easiest thing in the world to complain/criticise. I haven't seen any evidence yet of original thought. Perhaps he's waiting for Christmas. :)

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on September 03, 2020, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PMI'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV.

Do you not consider what Toots said to be evidence? Or is evidence only good enough when you personally witness it?

Do you actually read what people post or just jump on the first key word?

I said I had PERSONALLY not seen 👁 any evidence. Where am I denying anything?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 03, 2020, 09:21:43 AM

Watching BJ in PMQs he is in long covid.

Bojo-The-Clown can't blame that for Starmer wiping the floor with him after vile personal attack by Bojo on Starmer.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I think we must be aware of government and medical tardiness in all these cases. It will be some time before they join up the dots publicly even if they already know the kind of damage people are facing. There is a need for protection to avoid panic, but I am pretty certain that the long term costs of ongoing medical/social care created by Covid is going to present a problem. I would expect Government to delay our awareness for as long as possible for no other reason that the majority will be unable to cope with the possible projections.

We are wrapped in cotton wool to protect the nation's mental health these days.

Watching BJ in PMQs he is in long covid. I keep saying it and so far no-one is listening but his face shows he is struggling and watch how how he is breathing. I would imagine that after PMQs he slumped in a chair somewhere. The man is not well, his concentration is affected and he is not thinking straight. He will hang on but I don't think he has the stamina to go the full term.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PMI'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV.

Do you not consider what Toots said to be evidence? Or is evidence only good enough when you personally witness it?
Don't believe everything you think.

BeElBeeBub

Covid link to heart damage *even in asymptomatic people*

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-can-wreck-your-heart-even-if-you-havent-had-any-symptoms

This talkies with one of my friends who's long symptom includes a racing heart.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PM
I'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV. Not denying it, just no experience: Did have a very unfit, overweight, double bypass and T2 diabetic friend of mine die. I am of the opinion what ever he caught would kill him.
All 5 of the people I know to have had it (or at least very probably had it based on symptoms) were fit and healthy.

Ages ranging from mid 30's to early 50's. Two were high level rowers and triathletes, the rest just averagely fit.

4 out of the 5 still have symptoms to a greater or lesser degree.

By definition I have no idea how many people I know had it asymptomatically.  Hell, I may have had it asymptomatically who knows.

However, the fact that 4 out of 5 people who had symptoms ranging from "worst I have ever felt" to "a cold", including the one with the mildest symptoms, have lingering after effects makes me wary.

T00ts

I'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV. Not denying it, just no experience: Did have a very unfit, overweight, double bypass and T2 diabetic friend of mine die. I am of the opinion what ever he caught would kill him.

I have one example - very fit aged just over 40 but Filipino - his whole family got it starting with his English wife. They mostly felt rough for a couple of weeks but the father was really ill. He wasn't hospitalised but we are now about 8 weeks since his recovery and he is obviously struggling with reduced energy/motivation/stamina and breathing. There was a radio programme last week and they were inundated with phone calls from loads of people recording similar symptoms.

papasmurf

I'm very much an evidence based person

1/2 a million suffering long term and often life changing after effects not evidence enough for you?

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 10:14:27 AM
Quote from: Nalaar on September 01, 2020, 09:55:07 AM
It's a lone anecdote - but a friends mum caught COVID early on about mid-March, she's late 40s, healthy and well off, with no history of illness. She is yet to fully recover and it's possible will never fully heal, gets out of breath very easily, as is no longer able to go on family walks along the coast etc.

The death toll is truly awful, but I think it also takes all the press away from the 'survived but now living with the after effects' stories that are likewise horrifying.

When I was in my late thirties I contracted transverse myelitis which knocked me arse over teakettle. It took me three years before I was mobile and I still plan my life on the availability of loos.

We all have a tale of woe, but running around with a face nappy full of snot is undignified.

If your mask is full of snot, you're doing it wrong.

Unfortunately we seem to have imported the US mask wearing culture wars.

Some men (and it is often men) seem to think mask wearing somehow attacks their masculinity or virility. No idea why. Mask wearing is uncomfortable and annoying, but if it helps beat this then not doing it is selfish.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on September 01, 2020, 10:03:08 AM
I am fairly convinced that BJ is in this situation now. He claims fitness and of course is hopeful that he will recover yet I look at him on the few occasions that he is on TV etc and feel that in fact he is struggling. I do wonder if not only energy but concentration and clarity of thought processes have been affected.
Well it depends I suppose, my partner and myself had it in February, a week of feeling like crap and 4 months of even walking the dog finding myself breathless, there is more than one type so the experts warn. As a kid I had pneumonia 3 times and survived, for myself it is how you are going to live your life, either take the attitude, I will get over it and my immune system will cope, because that is what it is for, or take the attitude I am getting under my bed and hiding until it is safe, which of course it never will be anyway. Being fed every negative aspect of life will never be good for mental health anyway which has already caused a mental health crisis before even Covid came along. I don't know about you, but I am bored with every dodgy expert and politicos using it for their own idealism. As for Boris he needs to get his positive attitude back. He knows his back is covered despite all the negative coverage he is getting.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on September 01, 2020, 09:55:07 AM
It's a lone anecdote - but a friends mum caught COVID early on about mid-March, she's late 40s, healthy and well off, with no history of illness. She is yet to fully recover and it's possible will never fully heal, gets out of breath very easily, as is no longer able to go on family walks along the coast etc.

The death toll is truly awful, but I think it also takes all the press away from the 'survived but now living with the after effects' stories that are likewise horrifying.

When I was in my late thirties I contracted transverse myelitis which knocked me arse over teakettle. It took me three years before I was mobile and I still plan my life on the availability of loos.

We all have a tale of woe, but running around with a face nappy full of snot is undignified.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 01, 2020, 10:03:08 AM
I do wonder if not only energy but concentration and clarity of thought processes have been affected.

He has never shown much evidence of clarity of thought.

T00ts

I am fairly convinced that BJ is in this situation now. He claims fitness and of course is hopeful that he will recover yet I look at him on the few occasions that he is on TV etc and feel that in fact he is struggling. I do wonder if not only energy but concentration and clarity of thought processes have been affected.