Main Menu

Long Covid

Started by BeElBeeBub, August 31, 2020, 09:44:20 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on September 04, 2020, 12:44:51 PM
Quote from: Barry on September 04, 2020, 12:05:16 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 10:08:52 AMI suspect it is time for a chest X ray and peak flow check and i feel i am far from alone ....
Have you had a positive antigen test previously, or a positive antibody test, John?
If not, yes, get checked out, but you do realise you are getting older!
As a friend of mine says: "Getting old is not for wimps". I can't lift my arms without pain these day, I reckon I've worn my shoulders out. I'll be 66 next birthday.
Thats true Barry, I retook my motorcycle test yesterday and by the end my hips were agony and my backside was as numb as it can get and you still have a few years on me. So I guess I will need the Ibuprofen at hand LOL.

I had an interesting conversation with my Doc before Covid and he was saying that they have seen very good results with Paracetamol with joint issues and it's less troublesome. I have to admit (reluctantly - I'm not enamoured of doctors) he seems to be right.

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 10:08:52 AMI suspect it is time for a chest X ray and peak flow check and i feel i am far from alone ....
Have you had a positive antigen test previously, or a positive antibody test, John?
As a friend of mine says: "Getting old is not for wimps". I can't lift my arms without pain these day, I reckon I've worn my shoulders out. I'll be 66 next birthday.
Thats true Barry, I retook my motorcycle test yesterday and by the end my hips were agony and my backside was as numb as it can get and you still have a few years on me. So I guess I will need the Ibuprofen at hand LOL. DVLA ain't having the better of me Smurfy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

I can't lift my arms without pain these day, I reckon I've worn my shoulders out. I'll be 66 next birthday.

That reminds me of a lady I used to teach in an adult ballet class many years ago. She was possibly about your age I think. She had the same problem and the cure? Reflexology! Yes that was my thought too but I swear that over a period of weeks that woman was able to lift both arms over her head painlessly. Amazing! It was really off the wall in those days and was my first encounter but I had to admit that it changed her life.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 10:08:52 AM
Over the last couple of months I have found it increasingly difficult to sustain the effort of carrying a bucket of chippings fifty yards,. I find myself having to sit down with heart racing (>220bpm) and literally fighting for breath for over a minute after moving half a dozen 450x450x40mm patio slabs.  Were we talking about my physical stamina today versus last time i laid a patio 20 years ago i might be inclined to agree this is nothing more than failure to accept i was 43 then and am 63 now, but as I said, i saw no (serious) problems in dragging weights of that ilk literally for half a mile between factory workshops last year why the serious downturn in physical ability this ?

I suspect it is time for a chest X ray and peak flow check and i feel i am far from alone ....
That sounds like the symptoms (albeit a bit more severe) that some of my friends report.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 10:08:52 AM
Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PM
I'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV. Not denying it, just no experience: Did have a very unfit, overweight, double bypass and T2 diabetic friend of mine die. I am of the opinion what ever he caught would kill him.

Well, I consider myself an "evidence based" person too.

As I am sure you will agree, the number of symptomatic cases, the proportion of those needing in-patient care, the proportion of those needing intensive in patient care and the proportion of those needing an undertaker, if plotted as a histogram, and compared to the total population, suggest that you are actually more likely **NOT** to know anyone fit or otherwise who has caught this, much less died of it.

Personally though, I find there now seems an almost pernicious progression in my growing inability to carry out heavy aerobic or anaerobic tasks of any significant duration.  As I am sure you will recall, I said on here some time back I felt i went down with "something" that defied the official symptoms, defied the timeline - by hitting me long before the chinese state police lost control of the clampdown on the fact people ion china were dying, and left me washed out. I have since been totally unable to reach levels of physical exertion reached daily last year as a routine part of my job. To recap, large parts of what i do are desk bound but i do fetching and carrying in equal measure, hefting servers, pcs and other weighty stuff distances of between half a mile and a mile across the factory site and while I am no Mr Universe anymore, last year this would have caused me to brewak out in a a bit of a sweat but no more.

Over the last couple of months I have found it increasingly difficult to sustain the effort of carrying a bucket of chippings fifty yards,. I find myself having to sit down with heart racing (>220bpm) and literally fighting for breath for over a minute after moving half a dozen 450x450x40mm patio slabs.  Were we talking about my physical stamina today versus last time i laid a patio 20 years ago i might be inclined to agree this is nothing more than failure to accept i was 43 then and am 63 now, but as I said, i saw no (serious) problems in dragging weights of that ilk literally for half a mile between factory workshops last year why the serious downturn in physical ability this ?

I suspect it is time for a chest X ray and peak flow check and i feel i am far from alone ....

I think you are right. The symptoms sound very familiar to me and the sooner you get a CT scan the better although sadly you will join the queue. I think it's about £250 for a private one if you are in a hurry. What I am not sure about is if Steroid inhalers will help in your case. That's what keeps me going day by day but the sooner you get your peek flow checked the better. Don't hang about. If you catch a cold you could be in trouble.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PM
I'm very much an evidence based person and have not personally seen any evidence of "fit" people being struck down with CV. Not denying it, just no experience: Did have a very unfit, overweight, double bypass and T2 diabetic friend of mine die. I am of the opinion what ever he caught would kill him.

Well, I consider myself an "evidence based" person too.

As I am sure you will agree, the number of symptomatic cases, the proportion of those needing in-patient care, the proportion of those needing intensive in patient care and the proportion of those needing an undertaker, if plotted as a histogram, and compared to the total population, suggest that you are actually more likely **NOT** to know anyone fit or otherwise who has caught this, much less died of it.

Personally though, I find there now seems an almost pernicious progression in my growing inability to carry out heavy aerobic or anaerobic tasks of any significant duration.  As I am sure you will recall, I said on here some time back I felt i went down with "something" that defied the official symptoms, defied the timeline - by hitting me long before the chinese state police lost control of the clampdown on the fact people ion china were dying, and left me washed out. I have since been totally unable to reach levels of physical exertion reached daily last year as a routine part of my job. To recap, large parts of what i do are desk bound but i do fetching and carrying in equal measure, hefting servers, pcs and other weighty stuff distances of between half a mile and a mile across the factory site and while I am no Mr Universe anymore, last year this would have caused me to brewak out in a a bit of a sweat but no more.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on September 04, 2020, 09:34:25 AM
"Long covid" could potentially become an additional crisis.

It could increase the numbers needing in work, out of work, and disability benefits significantly, it will certainly restrict the type of work those effected can do.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

"Long covid" could potentially become an additional crisis. At the moment the spread of infection and the risk of people becoming seriously ill or dying is the main concern. Then there's the disruption of normal society and damage to the economy to cope with. But if "long covid"becomes a major problem, it could lead to a significant proportion of the population being chronically below par for months or even indefinitely - either unable to work or having difficulty coping with the workload they'd been used to prior to becoming ill.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 03, 2020, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 03, 2020, 06:18:03 PM

..As soon as I respond in kind, you either go straight to the mods and try to get me in trouble, or tell me please, please can you stop.

My complaint to the mods was about me being lied about. That I will not tolerate.

I was just complimenting you for your wonderful business acumen in joining the housing ladder, and helping to stop young people from being able to afford a home as the true blue Thatcherite that you are.

IMO you're a true entrepreneur papa and I salute you.

More lies about me please desist.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 06:20:35 PM

..As soon as I respond in kind, you either go straight to the mods and try to get me in trouble, or tell me please, please can you stop.

My complaint to the mods was about me being lied about. That I will not tolerate.

I was just complimenting you for your wonderful business acumen in joining the housing ladder, and helping to stop young people from being able to afford a home as the true blue Thatcherite that you are.

IMO you're a true entrepreneur papa and I salute you.
+++

papasmurf

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 05:08:16 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 03, 2020, 04:47:02 PM

That's a bit below the belt don't you think..

Not at all, it genuinely does worry men.

I see you're now trying to get insulting with me too papa, for no reason at all other than I pointed out your rudeness. You've been rude to me many times before for no particular reason..

Why not just be nice?
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 03, 2020, 04:47:02 PM

Not at all, it genuinely does worry men.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 11:06:42 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 03, 2020, 10:53:30 AM

I think I might forego your concern if you don't mind in light of your comments in the other thread.

Childlike innocence in an adult concerns me.

+++