Did you like school? (Does not include further education.)

Started by papasmurf, September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 11:31:08 AM
no ambitions other than to leave school and sign on.

They can't do that now the education leaving age has been raised.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 01, 2020, 10:49:05 AM

Education wise I did as little as I could get away with having reports of 'shows little effort ' 'lethargic doesn't cover it ' and even one memorable ' this boy needs a kick up the backside '

Happy days .

I once got a report in which the teacher remarked that if I had any brains I would be a half wit. But then I never was any good at music.

Overall I reckon I had a pretty good time. I skivved off as much as I could but at the end of the day it was a grammar school and I had effectively volunteered. And I did not realise what an easy time I had of it until I became a teacher myself and ended up in front of classes of poor little buggers who had no ambitions other than to leave school and sign on.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM
I didn't like school from the day I started primary school until my last day at Grammar School. On the day I got home from my last day at Grammar School I chopped my school cap to pieces with an axe.
I hated school too.

When I got home on the day I left I burnt my school uniform on a bonfire in the back garden.

Schooldays for me encompassed the years from 1970-1981. They were years of sadistic cane happy teachers here and there, severe disrespect, dark sarcasm and occasional teacher violence. Homophobic and sexist commentary was frequent, and racism ubiquitous. And there were of course always the school bullies to deal with. What was there to like?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Yes I enjoyed school . For me it was a sports club where a day rarely went past without some sort of activity, coaching or playing . I actually had to pick a sport I would drop one year to allow someone else a chance . I choose Basketball as it involved the most travelling to matches and my year team won the nationals . Yes must have been me hogging the ball  ;)

Education wise I did as little as I could get away with having reports of 'shows little effort ' 'lethargic doesn't cover it ' and even one memorable ' this boy needs a kick up the backside '

Happy days .

Good old

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM
I didn't like school from the day I started primary school until my last day at Grammar School. On the day I got home from my last day at Grammar School I chopped my school cap to pieces with an axe.

It wasn't a case of not liking school from primary for me, but  my Grammar  school experience was never far away from a war conducted between me and and teachers .  The issues all to often revolving around the wearing of cap and sometimes ties . Trivial by modern standards , but then a conveyer belt to corporal punishment.  I very much doubt  it could have been an ideal situation for the promotion of what I was actually there for .  I can not remember what happened to that cap , it was rarely on my head and treated with distain. In a bin for sure.

Nalaar

Primary school was fine, what little I remember of it.

My grammar school was outstanding though, we were a kinda middle of the road school academically, So while we did well there wasn't the pressure other schools around us had to have excellent results all round, I think that's what made the culture quite relaxed and have a lot of room for individual projects, and really good teacher-student relationships.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe