Tory Infighting Thread #331,998

Started by Dynamis, September 01, 2020, 01:41:10 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 11:25:24 PM

I hope the amendment passes, there should be a check on his power and rule by decree isn't ok.
I hate to agree with you.  :P
But on this, I really do. Great to see our local MP Tom Tugendhat getting involved in ensuring the country is not ruled by fiat, or Ford, or Renault come to that.

Great changes to our human rights and freedom of travel in our own country need to be debated upon in Parliament and voted in or out.
Particularly the rule of 6 is absolutely illogical nonsense.

As for Cornwall, it has the lowest infection rates in the country. Stop complaining about nothing. If anyone lives in a tourist area, expect tourists!
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:44:53 AM
Like I said they have gone gently expecting people to be intelligent enough to see the need.

That was a big mistake.  Anyone who expects the general public in Britain to be intelligent is deluded.
The number of people who need a minder exceeds the number of minders available.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 26, 2020, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:21:43 AM

The executive have done their best to slow down the rate of infection for everyone's benefit

I have to assume you are joking. Locally we are still infested with potential plague carriers (tourists,) who are taking no notice of regulations and using the place as a rubbish tip and open air toilet.
I have yet to see ANY enforcement.

Like I said they have gone gently expecting people to be intelligent enough to see the need. It may be they have lost the initiative now and others will get their wish of the virus simply being left to run. If they do the final death toll and ongoing debility of many might be a bit of a shock. It seems sensible to me to try and delay the spread in the hope of remedies, but perhaps that's not to be.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:21:43 AM

The executive have done their best to slow down the rate of infection for everyone's benefit

I have to assume you are joking. Locally we are still infested with potential plague carriers (tourists,) who are taking no notice of regulations and using the place as a rubbish tip and open air toilet.
I have yet to see ANY enforcement.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 11:25:24 PM
It seems increasingly likely that Johnson will be defeated on his plans to extend the use of emergency laws to push through new Covid-19 legislation, after Labour joined forces with more than 40 Conservative MPs.

The proposed amendment to the Coronavirus Act was tabled by Sir Graham Brady, the influential chairman of the 1922 committee of Conservative backbenchers.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris/25/09/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris

I hope the amendment passes, there should be a check on his power and rule by decree isn't ok.

I can see the reason for panic in Westminster because, let's be honest, every political persuasion is in a fog as to how to really cope with the national chaos on all fronts. You have to make allowance for the desperation of a fast approaching end of transition period and the remainer's lingering hope of a last minute reprieve or at least a chance to dislodge BJ and the Brexit crew in No 10. At the same time nothing is easier than criticism. Sadly point scoring has won over responsibility for the welfare of the country. Government's first responsibility is safety of the people and with a fast moving scenario that we currently have, endless debate with empty green benches is hardly conducive to urgent action. All over the world the scenes are the same with infection and deaths increasing. What makes our small minded MPs in the Westminster bubble imagine that we are any different?

The executive have done their best to slow down the rate of infection for everyone's benefit with quite reasonable expectations for us to help ourselves and it has failed. Why? Because people are people and think it doesn't apply to them. I posted some time ago that a soft approach which looked as if it was a choice would result in more stringent measures and so  it seems. If ever there was a time for cross party unity then surely this should be it but unless they are prepared to pull together there is absolutely no benefit to increasing the size of the decision making committee.

Borg Refinery

It seems increasingly likely that Johnson will be defeated on his plans to extend the use of emergency laws to push through new Covid-19 legislation, after Labour joined forces with more than 40 Conservative MPs.

The proposed amendment to the Coronavirus Act was tabled by Sir Graham Brady, the influential chairman of the 1922 committee of Conservative backbenchers.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris/25/09/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris

+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 03, 2020, 01:28:13 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 03, 2020, 01:21:55 PM
Well Starmer has done nothing to impress,

Obviously you did not watch PMQs yesterday.

I cannot recall the last time that cock pit was worth even the twenty seconds of my time summarised on the News at Ten. 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Not really sure what's wishful thinking here, tbh I don't want Stammer to do well so have no interest in what schemes he comes up with.

I'm simply pointing to the most recent daily mail headlines tearing into Bojo, and praising Starmer, also the polling and the terrible infighting going on amongst the Tories.

Other govts are not facing the same drops in confidence so there's yet another metric you can test for yourself.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 22, 2020, 09:38:59 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 09:33:53 AM

You may be misreading me or I you, I think you are echoing what I just said, she can dodge the crap because it's irrelevant as she's performed as well as she could, like you said no one has done perfectly but she's dobe well mostly..

That's why the criticism is simply not hurting her polling etc. Also, the SNP are VERY good at feisty responses and not accepting crap.

The criticism sticks to Bojo because it is relevant, and his polling is going down and his party's imploding.

You arent reading me dyno. Johnson has performed as well as he could too. Both leaders have made mistakes , many things were out of their control , and of course scotland and england are vastly different to handle.

Johnson has more people in london than sturgeon has in the whole of scotland  , crammed into an area smaller than aberdeenshire.

Its a difficult situation , and im not sure a lot fo what is getting throw at johnson is actullay sticking outwith the minds of the chattering classes and those who hate him like you.

I dont agree with you.

Well, surely Bojo's polling going down so dramatically against Stammer the policy-less incompetent remainer Blairlite - and the resultant implosion of his Tory party - and the Murdoch monkey machine turning against Bojo counts for something as well ----- re it 'sticking' to Bojo.

.. but thanks for foldering me in with the chattering classes. ;)

It seems regional polling is suffering for the SNP, while constituency polling is going up. Maybe wings or someone has weighted the two against each other to produce a model of what Holyrood would look like.
+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 09:33:53 AMThe criticism sticks to Bojo because it is relevant, and his polling is going down and his party's imploding.

I think this is more wishful thinking than fact. All MPs are getting earache from their constituents about loss of earnings/profit/income/jobs due to covid and they are quite rightly bringing those concerns to the leadership. That's normal and if they were silent they wouldn't be doing their jobs. Can  BJ really win? No. If he doesn't lock down and deaths increase or if he does and the economy still drops he is cooked either way. I wouldn't have his job for anything.

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 09:33:53 AM

You may be misreading me or I you, I think you are echoing what I just said, she can dodge the crap because it's irrelevant as she's performed as well as she could, like you said no one has done perfectly but she's dobe well mostly..

That's why the criticism is simply not hurting her polling etc. Also, the SNP are VERY good at feisty responses and not accepting crap.

The criticism sticks to Bojo because it is relevant, and his polling is going down and his party's imploding.

You arent reading me dyno. Johnson has performed as well as he could too. Both leaders have made mistakes , many things were out of their control , and of course scotland and england are vastly different to handle.

Johnson has more people in london than sturgeon has in the whole of scotland  , crammed into an area smaller than aberdeenshire.

Its a difficult situation , and im not sure a lot fo what is getting throw at johnson is actullay sticking outwith the minds of the chattering classes and those who hate him like you.

I dont agree with you.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 22, 2020, 09:25:50 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: Thomas on September 22, 2020, 09:06:03 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 08:59:49 AM
I think saying Cummings/Bojo are ruling by decree can only be interpreted as a shot across his bow.

You would.

You dont like cummings or johnson , so inevitably you interpret anything said as being the worst about them.

We are told one minute by the british left that johnson has to rule by decree over covid 19 , and react fast to events as they unfold.

Now we are being told he mustnt rule by decree , and has to have lengthy debates about covid 19 restrictions , and by the time the deabtes have finihsed , the covid event will either be over or morhped into something bigger , in which case he will further get grief for not acting sooner.

Its  a no win situation for him. Labour and starmer would not do any better and would be in the same boat with the same criticisms. Same as sturgeon is being critiscised for acting like a little hitler according to labour types in scotland , and treating the daily covid announcement on tv as her personal relaity show and other such nonsense.

Covid 19 is a no win situation for any government

Rhe difference is results.

The results in Scotland are so much better than other countries here, so Sturgeon can dodge the crap like Muhammed Ali whereas Boris gets it in the chops.  :D

And you're right, it would be the same for Stammer and other brit left nats.

Not sure thats true.

I keep saying labout types have been trying and failing to make political capital out of scotlands care home deaths.

Labour are trying hard not to let a good crises go to waste , and they are failing badly.

+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 09:22:18 AM
I think saying Cummings/Bojo are ruling by decree can only be interpreted as a shot across his bow.

You would.

You dont like cummings or johnson , so inevitably you interpret anything said as being the worst about them.

We are told one minute by the british left that johnson has to rule by decree over covid 19 , and react fast to events as they unfold.

Now we are being told he mustnt rule by decree , and has to have lengthy debates about covid 19 restrictions , and by the time the deabtes have finihsed , the covid event will either be over or morhped into something bigger , in which case he will further get grief for not acting sooner.

Its  a no win situation for him. Labour and starmer would not do any better and would be in the same boat with the same criticisms. Same as sturgeon is being critiscised for acting like a little hitler according to labour types in scotland , and treating the daily covid announcement on tv as her personal relaity show and other such nonsense.

The results in Scotland are so much better than other countries here, so Sturgeon can dodge the crap like Muhammed Ali whereas Boris gets it in the chops.  :D

Not sure thats true.

I keep saying labout types have been trying and failing to make political capital out of scotlands care home deaths.

Labour are trying hard not to let a good crises go to waste , and they are failing badly.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

You would.

+++