Tory Infighting Thread #331,998

Started by Dynamis, September 01, 2020, 01:41:10 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on September 27, 2020, 08:44:59 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 27, 2020, 08:36:55 AM
I was not making a partisan point, you numpty! Confirmation bias and the tendency of many to seek out and believe without question only that which conforms to their existing beliefs and prejudices exists right across the political spectrum.

I know what you were doing , and it seemed to me to be yet again more of your sneering put downs simply because the world isnt the place you want it to be or ruled by your political party.

QuoteConfirmation bias and the tendency of many to seek out and believe without question only that which conforms to their existing beliefs and prejudices exists right across the political spectrum.

it does and whats wrong with this?

This is normal human behaviour , and you me and everyone on this forum does this ya numpty?
Some more than others. And the internet often amplifies this tendency by spouting bollocks that this or that tendency like the sound of, so believe unquestioningly. Some of us though do not automatically believe everything we read just because we like the sound of it. I tend to seek verification in more reliable sources, and if I cannot I will quote it with caution. If you don't do the same, bigger fool you. Many don't.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

Yes the prussian blue turds do seem to be killing themselves off, the problem is that that doesn't necessarily translate to votes as G.O has pointed out; it's a while til election season, and obese old fetid nerdy globs like Abbott and many others actually manage to make Starmer (already sacking several of his cabinet) look competent when you read about him and Saville, him and Rotherham, him and so many other things too numerous to mention.

But you folks just keep clutching at straws and hoping for the best. And keep supporting your hero Starmer who frankly should be barred from being an MP like so many in the Commons.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 27, 2020, 10:24:54 AM

I see little evidence of any serious change.

The only change I can see is the Tories speeding faster and faster down the toilet.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Good old on September 03, 2020, 01:21:55 PM

Johnson , comes under fire from his own party , after being in the job for about a year, rightfully in my opinion. And up comes  the defence. Well Starmer has done nothing to impress, after six months in the job. Future developments have taken something of a back  to COVID being the big game in town, with Brexit bubbling quietly in the corner as far as the media are concerned. Not as far as the Tory party are concerned methinks.
None of this is about Starmer, he isn't in the Tory party yet. It's about Boris, and ultimately about his party.

Indeed. The job of her Majesty's loyal opposition as it used to be called - but these days pundits refer to it as her Majestys official opposition and seem uninterested in its loyalty or otherwise to the state - is to oppose, challenge, question and generally toss shit on government policy, and as the lib dems put in their policy manual, that role requires no workable alternative just criticism of government.

But the adopters of that policy overlook the second role of the opposition, which is to be a credible alternative government ready to jump in at the grip of an Ill timed vote of confidence...

Sadly, the last time an opposition operated in that way rapidly recedes to beyond living memory.

The most effective weapon in the tories arsenal on the fight to stay in government is the shambles the opposition were under Corbyn. And before that Milliband...

I see little evidence of any serious change. Well admittedly Diane Abbott is no longer in the running to be Home Secretary in return for services rendered being Corbyns token black in bed ... but the current lineup seem little better
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 27, 2020, 08:36:55 AM
I was not making a partisan point, you numpty! Confirmation bias and the tendency of many to seek out and believe without question only that which conforms to their existing beliefs and prejudices exists right across the political spectrum.

I know what you were doing , and it seemed to me to be yet again more of your sneering put downs simply because the world isnt the place you want it to be or ruled by your political party.

QuoteConfirmation bias and the tendency of many to seek out and believe without question only that which conforms to their existing beliefs and prejudices exists right across the political spectrum.

it does and whats wrong with this?

This is normal human behaviour , and you me and everyone on this forum does this ya numpty?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2020, 08:24:50 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 27, 2020, 08:06:41 AM

Rather than uniting people with equal access to knowledge, therefore, the internet is actually dividing people even more sharply, by pandering to their pre-existing prejudices and preconceptions with often fake information.

Judging by the fruitcakes and looney tunes who gathered in London yesterday. Fake information and the people who disseminate it should banned from using the internet and all related communication systems.

It also appears from emails I have had recently imploring me to join the London demo, that several legitimate organisations have been infiltrated by these dangerous subversives.

According to you, I and nearly everyone (who has disagreed with you) on this forum should be banned from the internet and/or murdered.

Personally, methinks those who want to use a sniper rifle on any politician they disagree with, have a case to answer for where it comes to being banned from the internet.

..Also posting false information about machine guns mounted to motorbike sidecars. :D
+++

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on September 27, 2020, 08:31:45 AM
As far as the intelligence of the public is concerned, the internet is not proving to be the great leveller and source of open information that challenges effective media bias that I once thought and hoped it would be. Instead people just seek out and respond to any old guff that comes along that suits their prejudices, much of it even more factually dishonest and a downright pack of lies sometimes than anything in the tabloids. The internet is littered with fake "facts" designed to pander to existing prejudices and beliefs and to reinforce them.

Countless times I see work colleagues or former work colleagues posting some shit they have found on the internet, believing it without question. Far from being the great eye opener, the internet is acting as a massive source of confirmation bias. With much of the content not entirely honest or factual. And no doubt this holds true right across the political spectrum.

Rather than uniting people with equal access to knowledge, therefore, the internet is actually dividing people even more sharply, by pandering to their pre-existing prejudices and preconceptions with often fake information.

I couldnt disagree with you anymore.

Again , you appear to slight the public with a sneering put down over thier intelligence simply because politically they dont agree with you.

The internet is a tool , nothing more. There are plenty of facts across the internet , and fake news.

All information is biased in some way , and im not sure why you dont get this.

I have discussed this with you before , but if the media bias is what is keeping labour out of power , how come the snp won in scotland?

You have never once effectively answered this question to me.

The media are far more biased against the snp than labour , yet we win elections.

Could it not just be if you take a step back and think , that labour are simply crap , offer no solutions , and are a tired stale and stagnant party that relies on a warped political system to put their benchwarmers in power rather than political skill , progressiveness and new well thought out ideas that chime with the public?

Blaming disinformation on the interwebby and insinuating the public are fools for not agreeing with you is not only pathetic , but incredibly dismissive of your own parties political failings of which there are many.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

As far as the intelligence of the public is concerned, the internet is not proving to be the great leveller and source of open information that challenges effective media bias that I once thought and hoped it would be. Instead people just seek out and respond to any old guff that comes along that suits their prejudices, much of it even more factually dishonest and a downright pack of lies sometimes than anything in the tabloids. The internet is littered with fake "facts" designed to pander to existing prejudices and beliefs and to reinforce them.

Countless times I see work colleagues or former work colleagues posting some shit they have found on the internet, believing it without question. Far from being the great eye opener, the internet is acting as a massive source of confirmation bias. With much of the content not entirely honest or factual. And no doubt this holds true right across the political spectrum.

I couldnt disagree with you anymore.

Again , you appear to slight the public with a sneering put down over thier intelligence simply because politically they dont agree with you.

The internet is a tool , nothing more. There are plenty of facts across the internet , and fake news.

All information is biased in some way , and im not sure why you dont get this.

I have discussed this with you before , but if the media bias is what is keeping labour out of power , how come the snp won in scotland?

You have never once effectively answered this question to me.

The media are far more biased against the snp than labour , yet we win elections.

Could it not just be if you take a step back and think , that labour are simply crap , offer no solutions , and are a tired stale and stagnant party that relies on a warped political system to put their benchwarmers in power rather than political skill , progressiveness and new well thought out ideas that chime with the public?

Blaming disinformation on the interwebby and insinuating the public are fools for not agreeing with you is not only pathetic , but incredibly dismissive of your own parties political failings of which there are many.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Judging by the fruitcakes and looney tunes who gathered in London yesterday. Fake information and the people who disseminate it should banned from using the internet and all related communication systems.

It also appears from emails I have had recently imploring me to join the London demo, that several legitimate organisations have been infiltrated by these dangerous subversives.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:44:53 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 26, 2020, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:21:43 AM

The executive have done their best to slow down the rate of infection for everyone's benefit

I have to assume you are joking. Locally we are still infested with potential plague carriers (tourists,) who are taking no notice of regulations and using the place as a rubbish tip and open air toilet.
I have yet to see ANY enforcement.

Like I said they have gone gently expecting people to be intelligent enough to see the need. It may be they have lost the initiative now and others will get their wish of the virus simply being left to run. If they do the final death toll and ongoing debility of many might be a bit of a shock. It seems sensible to me to try and delay the spread in the hope of remedies, but perhaps that's not to be.

Javert

Quote from: Barry on September 26, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 11:25:24 PM

I hope the amendment passes, there should be a check on his power and rule by decree isn't ok.
I hate to agree with you.  :P
But on this, I really do. Great to see our local MP Tom Tugendhat getting involved in ensuring the country is not ruled by fiat, or Ford, or Renault come to that.

Great changes to our human rights and freedom of travel in our own country need to be debated upon in Parliament and voted in or out.
Particularly the rule of 6 is absolutely illogical nonsense.

As for Cornwall, it has the lowest infection rates in the country. Stop complaining about nothing. If anyone lives in a tourist area, expect tourists!

I tend to agree, but there is also a bit of buyer's remorse at work here - these are the same MPs who voted to give the government those sweeping powers in the first place.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 26, 2020, 10:11:19 AM

Don't suppose you remember me mentioning open goals ? Given his signature can't wait to see if Dawg reads this.

I suspect he will agree with me.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 26, 2020, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:44:53 AM
Like I said they have gone gently expecting people to be intelligent enough to see the need.

That was a big mistake.  Anyone who expects the general public in Britain to be intelligent is deluded.
The number of people who need a minder exceeds the number of minders available.
Don't suppose you remember me mentioning open goals ? Given his signature can't wait to see if Dawg reads this.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 26, 2020, 10:04:12 AM

As for Cornwall, it has the lowest infection rates in the country. Stop complaining about nothing. If anyone lives in a tourist area, expect tourists!

I suggest you look at recent news. Outbreak on the Isles of Scilly, food processing factory, and several others.
It is NOT a complaint about nothing.  I would also point out more or less ALL tourist areas nationally have the same problem with hooligan tourists as Cornwall does, and there is no enforcement in those either.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 26, 2020, 09:21:43 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 25, 2020, 11:25:24 PM
It seems increasingly likely that Johnson will be defeated on his plans to extend the use of emergency laws to push through new Covid-19 legislation, after Labour joined forces with more than 40 Conservative MPs.

The proposed amendment to the Coronavirus Act was tabled by Sir Graham Brady, the influential chairman of the 1922 committee of Conservative backbenchers.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris/25/09/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=labour-teams-up-with-tory-rebels-to-try-and-beat-boris

I hope the amendment passes, there should be a check on his power and rule by decree isn't ok.

I can see the reason for panic in Westminster because, let's be honest, every political persuasion is in a fog as to how to really cope with the national chaos on all fronts. You have to make allowance for the desperation of a fast approaching end of transition period and the remainer's lingering hope of a last minute reprieve or at least a chance to dislodge BJ and the Brexit crew in No 10. At the same time nothing is easier than criticism. Sadly point scoring has won over responsibility for the welfare of the country. Government's first responsibility is safety of the people and with a fast moving scenario that we currently have, endless debate with empty green benches is hardly conducive to urgent action. All over the world the scenes are the same with infection and deaths increasing. What makes our small minded MPs in the Westminster bubble imagine that we are any different?

The executive have done their best to slow down the rate of infection for everyone's benefit with quite reasonable expectations for us to help ourselves and it has failed. Why? Because people are people and think it doesn't apply to them. I posted some time ago that a soft approach which looked as if it was a choice would result in more stringent measures and so  it seems. If ever there was a time for cross party unity then surely this should be it but unless they are prepared to pull together there is absolutely no benefit to increasing the size of the decision making committee.
Perhaps they've been reading some of the posts on here  :D :D ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?