Devon and Cornwall Police use dashcam footage to combat dangerous driving

Started by papasmurf, September 03, 2020, 08:04:52 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 08:37:36 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PMthe public are asked to become snitches

Do you use the term 'snitches' to intentionally load the sentence to paint the reporting of an incident as a bad thing?
I mean it in the sense of encouraging the public to spy on each other and report each other as a dubious thing.  We actually need more police on the roads, whose presence would often deter dangerous driving in the first place
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 12:37:27 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 04, 2020, 12:32:36 PM

Yes I see that I just wonder. Does one dash cam footage provide enough proof for court or does the rule of at least 2 witnesses still hold?

Given the very obvious dangerous driving shown in the many examples on the Devon and Cornwall website no other evidence is needed.
(My problem would be that locally over the last few months if we had a dash cam in the car it would be a dozen dangerous driving incidents in as many miles.)

I have only just started driving any distance again and must admit there seem to be far more nutters around. I assumed it was lack of practice with the shut down.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 04, 2020, 12:32:36 PM

Yes I see that I just wonder. Does one dash cam footage provide enough proof for court or does the rule of at least 2 witnesses still hold?

Given the very obvious dangerous driving shown in the many examples on the Devon and Cornwall website no other evidence is needed.
(My problem would be that locally over the last few months if we had a dash cam in the car it would be a dozen dangerous driving incidents in as many miles.)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 12:25:53 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 04, 2020, 11:57:38 AM
Surely the change is in the ability of the onlooker to accurately report. -*

Which is what a dash cam does.  The use of such evidence from the the public is strictly assessed before it is accepted:-

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/contact/contact-forms/operation-snap-dashcam-footage/

papasmurf

Surely the change is in the ability of the onlooker to accurately report. -*

Which is what a dash cam does.  The use of such evidence from the the public is strictly assessed before it is accepted:-

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/contact/contact-forms/operation-snap-dashcam-footage/

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 12:14:41 PM
Surely the change is in the ability of the onlooker to accurately report. The days of 3 witnesses giving varying reports are gone. Either a phone is raised with irrefutable evidence or we resort to the dashcam. Nothing can be done these days but there is someone to report the incident.

Should we do it? Well I guess there's the argument that it's a way of covering ourselves with the difficult insurance companies who possibly were the first reason for dashcams and then of course the rest followed. The police are only just beginning to catch up and presumably the law courts too.

The problem here is discretion. What constitutes the need? Add to that the yearning for the 5 minutes of fame that seems to underlie so many video records and there is the motivation. Plus of course we are going through an era of confrontation. Everyone is at it in some form or other. No-one is prepared to be viewed as any less than everyone else and is often determined to be top dog no matter what. (A female eye view no doubt)  :-*

I see what you did there. ;)

...and I thought I was being obtuse!    ;D

Borg Refinery

Surely the change is in the ability of the onlooker to accurately report. The days of 3 witnesses giving varying reports are gone. Either a phone is raised with irrefutable evidence or we resort to the dashcam. Nothing can be done these days but there is someone to report the incident.

Should we do it? Well I guess there's the argument that it's a way of covering ourselves with the difficult insurance companies who possibly were the first reason for dashcams and then of course the rest followed. The police are only just beginning to catch up and presumably the law courts too.

The problem here is discretion. What constitutes the need? Add to that the yearning for the 5 minutes of fame that seems to underlie so many video records and there is the motivation. Plus of course we are going through an era of confrontation. Everyone is at it in some form or other. No-one is prepared to be viewed as any less than everyone else and is often determined to be top dog no matter what. (A female eye view no doubt)  :-*

I see what you did there. ;)
+++

T00ts

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 11:47:48 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 11:44:55 AM

Yes it should be heavily prosecuted and reported, but the general trend of snitching on people for not wearing a mask,

That could result in death(s).

There are too many cases of it, plus hidden exemptions.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 11:44:55 AM

Yes it should be heavily prosecuted and reported, but the general trend of snitching on people for not wearing a mask,

That could result in death(s).

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 11:35:17 AM
Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 11:29:00 AM

Do you consider dangerous driving a "proper crime"?

Well it basically can carry a jail term of up to two years, or life imprisonment if it involves death by dangerous driving.
I may be a tad biased as I have lost far too many friends because of dangerous drivers, in one case one was decapitated.

Yes it should be heavily prosecuted and reported, but the general trend of snitching on people for not wearing a mask, or for minor silly stuff like not outting rubbish in the right bins (to the council not the police) is getting like the Chinese state.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 11:35:17 AM

Well it basically can carry a jail term of up to two years, or life imprisonment if it involves death by dangerous driving.
I may be a tad biased as I have lost far too many friends because of dangerous drivers, in one case one was decapitated.

I don't think there's much to be bias about, if someone's driving dangerously then it's well for them to be reported, any inference that it's 'snitching', or 'ratting out' etc is way off the mark.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 08:47:26 AM
srb's comment was well-written so as not to apologize for law breakers, whilst rightly condemning the totalitarian stasi snitch state we're increasingly finding ourselves living in.

Just look at the "not wearing a mask" snitch hotline bollocks. WTF is that supposed to be about?

We shouldn't rat on folks for minor things but proper crimes, yes they should be reported, but he's right - more police is the key.

I consider the way you horribly misrepresent people to be a proper crime.

Like when you insinuated that I condone pouring boiling water over kids... as I recall?

So I'm not even going to dignify your putrid posts with an answer.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 08:47:26 AM
srb's comment was well-written so as not to apologize for law breakers, whilst rightly condemning the totalitarian stasi snitch state we're increasingly finding ourselves living in.

Just look at the "not wearing a mask" snitch hotline bollocks. WTF is that supposed to be about?

We shouldn't rat on folks for minor things but proper crimes, yes they should be reported, but he's right - more police is the key.

Don't believe everything you think.