Devon and Cornwall Police use dashcam footage to combat dangerous driving

Started by papasmurf, September 03, 2020, 08:04:52 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

QuoteActually, on second thoughts, I'd like you to have one too.

Yeah well that won't be happening either, care in the community has a lot to answer for.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 05, 2020, 11:52:43 AM

A film? Well I never. It must be "true" then?

The film isn't, a Hardly Dangerous would be wrecked when is landed.
However a mini-gun mounted on a motorcycle has been fired on a firing range. (The man sat on the bike at the time was brave or stupid or both.)
They have to rev the bike whilst firing due the high amps needed to work the gun.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf on September 05, 2020, 11:14:57 AMThe barrels are not near the fuel tank, and the combined fire power is some 20000 rounds a minute so a 1/2 second burst is more than enough to shred a caravan and the vehicle towing it.
Also it is not a motorcycle used in a film.
However this one is:-

A film? Well I never. It must be "true" then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete_(2010_film)

QuoteMachete is a 2010 American exploitation action film

QuoteAn exploitation film is a film that attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content. Exploitation films are generally low-quality "B movies". They sometimes attract critical attention and cult followings

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 05, 2020, 11:02:19 AM

I assume the huge heat created by those barrels next to the fuel tank, or the fact that the frame couldn't absorb the recoil without also destroying you in the process has completely passed over Arnold Schwarzenegger's head?

Actually, on second thoughts, I'd like you to have one too.

The barrels are not near the fuel tank, and the combined fire power is some 20000 rounds a minute so a 1/2 second burst is more than enough to shred a caravan and the vehicle towing it.
Also it is not a motorcycle used in a film.
However this one is:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRs243dwWkw

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 01:37:51 PM

Agreed but I would still like this:-

I assume the huge heat created by those barrels next to the fuel tank, or the fact that the frame couldn't absorb the recoil without also destroying you in the process has completely passed over Arnold Schwarzenegger's head?

Actually, on second thoughts, I'd like you to have one too.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 05, 2020, 10:39:00 AM
That's 3 times you've mentioned the Stasi state but there's no reason to be alarmed. The East German Stasi was government led.
Reporting people on webcam footage is people led and should be encouraged to root out the people in society who routinely break the law and put others in danger.
About 3 people an hour are seriously injured or killed on our roads and many of these are avoidable.

Quite, just up the road from me a few hours ago:-

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2020, 10:49:36 PMThere is a difference between the police calling for witnesses to a crime they are already investigating, and people being encouraged to spy and snitch on each other without prompting. The latter smacks somewhat of a Stasi state to me.
That's 3 times you've mentioned the Stasi state but there's no reason to be alarmed. The East German Stasi was government led.
Reporting people on webcam footage is people led and should be encouraged to root out the people in society who routinely break the law and put others in danger.
About 3 people an hour are seriously injured or killed on our roads and many of these are avoidable.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2020, 01:49:23 PMI find the eagerness with which we are all encouraged to report on each other rather concerning. I don't want us resembling a Stasi state.

Okay but can you separate out for me how police should appeal to wittinesses of crimes without encouraging this behaviour?
There is a difference between the police calling for witnesses to a crime they are already investigating, and people being encouraged to spy and snitch on each other without prompting. The latter smacks somewhat of a Stasi state to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nalaar

Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2020, 01:49:23 PMI find the eagerness with which we are all encouraged to report on each other rather concerning. I don't want us resembling a Stasi state.

Okay but can you separate out for me how police should appeal to wittinesses of crimes without encouraging this behaviour?
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 01:45:22 PM

Why does it not deter drivers if they know that any car (with a dash cam) could result in them being punished for their dangerous driving?

Actually a notice:- Smile you are on candid camera does have a deterrent effect, as does if you can read this notice you are too ******* close.

srb7677

Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2020, 01:32:34 PM
Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 08:37:36 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PMthe public are asked to become snitches

Do you use the term 'snitches' to intentionally load the sentence to paint the reporting of an incident as a bad thing?
I mean it in the sense of encouraging the public to spy on each other and report each other as a dubious thing.  We actually need more police on the roads, whose presence would often deter dangerous driving in the first place

I don't see how this is different from any appeal for witnesses to crimes, which I assume you support?
Why does it not deter drivers if they know that any car (with a dash cam) could result in them being punished for their dangerous driving?
I find the eagerness with which we are all encouraged to report on each other rather concerning. I don't want us resembling a Stasi state.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PMthe public are asked to become snitches

Do you use the term 'snitches' to intentionally load the sentence to paint the reporting of an incident as a bad thing?
I mean it in the sense of encouraging the public to spy on each other and report each other as a dubious thing.  We actually need more police on the roads, whose presence would often deter dangerous driving in the first place

I don't see how this is different from any appeal for witnesses to crimes, which I assume you support?

Stop trying to misrepresent people FFS
+++

Nalaar

Don't believe everything you think.

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 08:52:54 AM
Zero tolerance results in near zero crime.

Which politician fed you that hogwash ?
Indeed. It is not the level of tolerance, nor even the severity of punishment that deters crime, but the likelihood of being caught. A certainty of being caught would eliminate most crimes except those committed in senseless anger or out of desperation. There is no such certainty at the moment. Indeed quite the opposite. Many crimes of theft simply don't even get investigated anymore.

As for motivations for crime, a likelihood of actually getting away with it is something of a biggie, along with a variety of other factors which can include economic deprivation, pure selfish greed, a high level of immorality, or in some types of crime psycho-sexual motivations.

papasmurf

We actually need more police on the roads, whose presence would often deter dangerous driving in the first place

Agreed but I would still like this:-