Main Menu

Amazon

Started by Nick, September 04, 2020, 10:28:30 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Baff on September 05, 2020, 12:43:10 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 12:14:52 AM
Quote from: Nick on September 04, 2020, 10:28:30 PM
Amazon, being one of my customers have in the last 18 months built 2 huge fulfilment centres (that I was involved in). One at East Midlands Airport and one close to St Helens. They are now building another on a site near Gateshead which is almost 4 miles square.

Having done work with Amazon for years I can assure you they would not be expanding at the rate they are in the UK if Brexit was going to affect their model.  A single centre is handling over 400,000 parcels a day, of which most is imported.

How do you Remoaners justifying your rhetoric when companies like Amazon keep investing in the UK after the referendum. Do you think you know better than these corporations?

Anyone with any sense is hoping Brexit does not go badly as it will hugely damage us, Europe and the world economy.

So hopefully you are right and the critics, like me, are wrong.
"Hugely"?

How so?

Lets get things into perspective.
If you want to see huge damage, consider Covid.

The EU contingency bailout fund for Brexit is 5 billion.
And 750 billion for Covid.
In 2008 the EU bailout fund was 1.5 trillion.

"Hugely"?
Really?

Oh the drama.

Maybe you should read what was actually written. ;)
+++

Baff

Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 12:14:52 AM
Amazon, being one of my customers have in the last 18 months built 2 huge fulfilment centres (that I was involved in). One at East Midlands Airport and one close to St Helens. They are now building another on a site near Gateshead which is almost 4 miles square.

Having done work with Amazon for years I can assure you they would not be expanding at the rate they are in the UK if Brexit was going to affect their model.  A single centre is handling over 400,000 parcels a day, of which most is imported.

How do you Remoaners justifying your rhetoric when companies like Amazon keep investing in the UK after the referendum. Do you think you know better than these corporations?

Anyone with any sense is hoping Brexit does not go badly as it will hugely damage us, Europe and the world economy.

"Hugely"?

How so?

Lets get things into perspective.
If you want to see huge damage, consider Covid.

The EU contingency bailout fund for Brexit is 5 billion.
And 750 billion for Covid.
In 2008 the EU bailout fund was 1.5 trillion.

"Hugely"?
Really?

Oh the drama.

GerryT

Nick, you do realise that Amazon have said they will no longer stock UK goods in any EU fulfilment centre from Jan 1 2021, brexit related. This means UK companies that use these fulfilment centres will have to deal direct with customers in the EU if they want to continue to sell into the EU. This will mean small businesses will have to deal with shipping & logistics, export documentation, paying tariffs, dealing with VAT, handling goods returns. For many small businesses it's just not worth it and will have a negative affect on these companies. On top of this any stock in these fulfilment centres in the EU will have all UK stock returned to the UK before Jan1, to get it all done this will prob start in Nov, a double blow.

There was a natural trend for retail shopping moving from the high street to online. With Covid that's acting as a catalyst. UK fulfilment centres will be there to service UK domestic market I presume.

Borg Refinery

+++

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.