Main Menu

Amazon

Started by Nick, September 04, 2020, 10:28:30 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 03:42:24 PMIts a sunday nick. All the left footers are down chapel in the morning afore going down the pub for some grub and a drink.

10 guiness with a few poitin chasers and gerry wont know angela merkel from caroline aherns mrs merkel.

Have never been a afternoon drinker, kids took up weekends...when they were kids !  Once I start I usually don't stop till bedtime, so try not to start too early !

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 12:44:20 PMGerry, the only thing that is consistent about your posts is that they are always incorrect.
In your opinion, but never with any example

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 12:44:20 PMI think you should re-read the bit of information that you scurried around to find.
UK sellers can send stock to EU fulfilment centres and sell to the EU but cannot sell back into the UK from these centres.
No small UK businesses can't send goods as they do today to Amazon and access the 450m people that make the EU market. From Jan if they want to sell in the EU they will have to deal with customs, freight, returns,customs declarations/paperwork, tariffs etc... Directly, Amazon won't be doing it for them. I didn't say they can't sell into the EU, but the benefit of a fulfilment centre will be gone.

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 12:44:20 PMAgain your post fails to actually cover the point in my OP. Amazon are building many new distribution centres so you clearly know better than them?
No, I know better than you, as Amazon have released information to this affect.
https://www.chargedretail.co.uk/2020/07/17/amazon-uk-sellers-risk-losing-out-on-huge-number-of-sale-as-cross-border-goods-transfers-will-stop-after-brexit/
As Amazon clearly have said, they will NO LONGER ship goods from it's UK fulfilment centres to EU one's and visa versa. Obviously the new UK centres based in the UK are to cater for the UK only market. Over 30% of goods sold in the UK are now on line, a large shift from 10 yrs ago and one that Amazon want to tap into.
This creates more jobs at these centres but it will cost jobs on the high street. It doesn't help the UK economy, Amazon produce nothing.

Amazon are also looking to open an Irish fulfilment centre, I presume the current UK one's would have shipped here but that's all to stop.

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on September 06, 2020, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2020, 01:49:41 PM
Where has Gerry gone?

Its a sunday nick. All the left footers are down chapel in the morning afore going down the pub for some grub and a drink.

10 guiness with a few poitin chasers and gerry wont know angela merkel from caroline aherns mrs merkel.

Thought he might be down Woolies buying a new calculator.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Where has Gerry gone?

Its a sunday nick. All the left footers are down chapel in the morning afore going down the pub for some grub and a drink.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Where has Gerry gone?
Waiting for his latest Brussels orders most likely.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Where has Gerry gone?

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on September 05, 2020, 12:33:10 PM
I don't worry about that much.

lol baffy.

I think  thats what had remoaners pissing the bed screaming every night.  # why wont they listen to us?#

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Baff

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 01:16:29 PM
Quote from: Baff on September 05, 2020, 12:57:35 PM
Covid has greatly accelerated the switch to online shopping I expect.

I do the software and commissioning for the sortation in Amazon Warehouses so from my perspective COVID has pretty much guaranteed me contracts for decades to come. Everyone now wants Pandemic proof automation systems that guarantee production under any circumstance.

I use such a software for one of Amazon's competitors.
Lockdown was a boom time.

Baff

Unskilled Amazon employees can be 5%ers.
Earn more than the average wage in this country. (Which makes you a 5%er globally).

Not bad for a walk in off the street job.
Not fun however either. Long hours to get that much.
And people pressuring you.

Nalaar

Mega-corporations like Amazon, Google, Apple etc have higher revenue streams than some European countries GDPs, so I find it unsurprising that a company like Amazon can invest vast sums into ventures even if they thought there was a reasonable chance of failure, which there almost certainly isn't given their market dominance and ability to contribute little in the way of tax, or employee wages.
Don't believe everything you think.

Nick

I do the software and commissioning for the sortation in Amazon Warehouses so from my perspective COVID has pretty much guaranteed me contracts for decades to come. Everyone now wants Pandemic proof automation systems that guarantee production under any circumstance.

papasmurf

I expect it has, but personally, so many high street shops have closed over the last  decade or so, I have been other than for food forced to buy online for years.
The nearest town of me has got few shops left it it.
The other worrying thing is so little is made in Britain anymore I am having to buy from Gunga Din's repurposing  metal bashing shop on the North West Frontier, or Wun Hung Lo's accessories for any motor vehicle or motorcycle somewhere in rural China free postage 40 days delivery by pack donkey.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 05, 2020, 12:39:23 AM
Nick, you do realise that Amazon have said they will no longer stock UK goods in any EU fulfilment centre from Jan 1 2021, brexit related. This means UK companies that use these fulfilment centres will have to deal direct with customers in the EU if they want to continue to sell into the EU. This will mean small businesses will have to deal with shipping & logistics, export documentation, paying tariffs, dealing with VAT, handling goods returns. For many small businesses it's just not worth it and will have a negative affect on these companies. On top of this any stock in these fulfilment centres in the EU will have all UK stock returned to the UK before Jan1, to get it all done this will prob start in Nov, a double blow.

There was a natural trend for retail shopping moving from the high street to online. With Covid that's acting as a catalyst. UK fulfilment centres will be there to service UK domestic market I presume.

Gerry, the only thing that is consistent about your posts is that they are always incorrect.
I think you should re-read the bit of information that you scurried around to find.
UK sellers can send stock to EU fulfilment centres and sell to the EU but cannot sell back into the UK from these centres.

Again your post fails to actually cover the point in my OP. Amazon are building many new distribution centres so you clearly know better than them?

Baff

I don't worry about that much.

A load of blokes who produce exactly nothing, said GDP will fall if we sack them all.
Well, that's not how it works.

Maybe Amazon will hire them?