Coronavirus: Tony Blair on ID cards and digital records

Started by GBNews, September 05, 2020, 07:11:41 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

There is no doubt that Tony Blair is shit in an iron bucket, as my dear old gran was inclined to say, but he also had the sense to realise that to get into power he had to turn the brothers and sisters into social democrats and move towards the centre. It would also help if the Tories were led by a well meaning but grey nonentity.

I can't see Starmer doing the first or Boris becoming the latter.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 05, 2020, 12:21:22 PM

It is a rather fine word for the greasy little shit.

Frankly, Boris needs to get on his knees on his grandad's prayer mat and thank all three abrahammic gods for Blair, because now Corbyn has gone, only Blair's repeated sticking of his nose in where it is not wanted is stopping Labour from painting Starmer as the "nice, reasonable chap you need to empower" and reverse Labour's ongoing plunge to liberal democrat levels of popularity

Good post john , and one with which i fully agree.

Here we clearly see tony blairs belief in his own illusion of invulnerability.

Every time he gets up to stick his nose in politics today , he clearly doesnt have a clue how it damages the labour party.

As for id cards.......

"Labour stopped defending individual freedom. The evidence can be found all over the place. Detention without trial, courts without juries, increased police and social welfare powers, camera monitoring, the expansion of GCHQ and, of course, identity cards. This is a tricky area for Labour which has always been to some extent a paternalistic party in setting out to support the disadvantaged and the oppressed. Tony Blair didn't always help because, occasionally, his moral convictions conflicted with everyone else's personal freedoms.

QuoteThey believe that what they are doing is right for the greater public good, regardless of what the actual public thinks – as this piece from the Guardian where Gaby Hinsliff lays into the party's recent past shows:

"Labour has still to confront a pervasive sense that too little changed for too many people when it held power. There are pockets of deprivation all over Britain – often a stone's throw from beautifully regenerated city centres – where life never seems to change much, come boom or come bust, and not just for those at the bottom of the pile.

The party noisily champions the 'squeezed middle', but Labour is vaguer about exactly what squeezed them: wages have been flatlining for lower earners since 2003, long before the credit crunch or Osborne's austerity pay freezes.

Young couples were steadily priced out not just of buying a home but renting one – the average London rent now demands an income of £52,000 a year – not merely in the last two years, but over more than a decade of failure to prick the housing bubble. In Bradford, Labour's candidate complained that the "Tories didn't care" about rocketing unemployment – but joblessness actually began rising in the city in 2004.

So it's not enough just to apologise for failures in bank regulation, when lower earners were suffering well before the crash. And it's not enough just to jeer at posh Tories for being out of touch with ordinary folk, when many of them think that Labour had lost touch too. Life may be tougher under the Tories, but for some it was no picnic before – and where's the proof that it would get better if Labour won again?

Where's the big plan for generating more and better jobs, or for helping people do the simple things – find a home, raise a family – now slipping out of reach?"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/apr/01/labour-cant-jeer-conservative-weakness
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 05, 2020, 09:14:44 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 05, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

What a lovely description of Blair - unctuous. I really like that I must remember.

It has stuck in my brain ever since a old Breton man who had  learned  English  many decades ago used it to describe a French politician.
(I have missed my chats with him this year, he is so old his first language is Breton not French.)

It is a rather fine word for the greasy little shit.

Frankly, Boris needs to get on his knees on his grandad's prayer mat and thank all three abrahammic gods for Blair, because now Corbyn has gone, only Blair's repeated sticking of his nose in where it is not wanted is stopping Labour from painting Starmer as the "nice, reasonable chap you need to empower" and reverse Labour's ongoing plunge to liberal democrat levels of popularity
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 05, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

What a lovely description of Blair - unctuous. I really like that I must remember.

It has stuck in my brain ever since a old Breton man who had  learned  English  many decades ago used it to describe a French politician.
(I have missed my chats with him this year, he is so old his first language is Breton not French.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 05, 2020, 09:03:13 AM
Will we never be free of that smarmy, unctuous git, Blair.

papasmurf

Will we never be free of that smarmy, unctuous git, Blair.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: News on September 05, 2020, 07:11:41 AM

As PM, Tony Blair's plans to bring in ID cards were dropped, but he thinks digital ID could help the fight against coronavirus.

Source: Coronavirus: Tony Blair on ID cards and digital records

I guess little step by little step microchips are becoming inevitable and the woke generations educated to accept all technology as progress will fall into line. What an awful thought.

GBNews

As PM, Tony Blair's plans to bring in ID cards were dropped, but he thinks digital ID could help the fight against coronavirus.

Source: Coronavirus: Tony Blair on ID cards and digital records