Barnier done!

Started by T00ts, September 05, 2020, 09:23:24 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

No. It wasn't.

You went off on one, that's all.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2020, 08:45:50 PM

Don't think anyone was saying exclusively.

It was implied.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

/Agree.

And the same is true of this country.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on September 11, 2020, 03:18:12 PM
Almost every country uses the WTO.

Uses is not trades exclusively. As the references I posted show.

Baff

Almost every country uses the WTO.
They may also make trade deals on the side and many do.

For example.
We trade with America, our largest trade partner, on WTO terms.
Same with China and many other nations.
With Japan on the other hand, we have signed a trade agreement that works in compliment with WTO rules.

papasmurf

Baff

Just about every country on earth trades under WTO rules.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on September 11, 2020, 12:24:40 AM
WTO is a way for the UK to continue trading with the EU.

The WTO is very disastrous way to trade with anyone which is why so few countries do.

Baff

It's very likely that he will do exactly this.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 06:03:33 PMReally? The EU would have been happy to walk away and take our fish with us and start state subsidising at will? Quite apart from all the other arrangements they have wanted in order to procure their level playing field.
But the UK could have just walked away. WTO is a way for the UK to continue trading with the EU. There's downsides but that was always an option. There is no obligation on the UK to enter into a FTA.
The question is, if thats such a good option, why hasn't the UK done this, why hasn't Johnson done this

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2020, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Baff on September 10, 2020, 05:26:33 PMAfter a few decades of trying to end our treaty with the EU, I feel no great rush to commit to another.
You try.

We not only said we wanted to leave right form day one, we also said we didn't want to join in the first place.

Democracy is a slow, slow process it seems.   (So slow I didn't even believe we lived in one).

Still. Got there in the end

(Big up to Nigel Farage for proving me wrong).

You only had to say you were leaving. Not like it's difficult.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2020, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Baff on September 10, 2020, 05:26:33 PMAfter a few decades of trying to end our treaty with the EU, I feel no great rush to commit to another.

Really? The EU would have been happy to walk away and take our fish with us and start state subsidising at will? Quite apart from all the other arrangements they have wanted in order to procure their level playing field.

GerryT

Baff

Can't see anyone in the EU worth having a security arrangement with.
Liabilities all.

After a few decades of trying to end our treaty with the EU, I feel no great rush to commit to another.