Barnier done!

Started by T00ts, September 05, 2020, 09:23:24 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 05, 2020, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 01:44:03 PMYou don't get it, Germany (Merkel) is the EU. Macron will do what she tells him and the other 24 are just hangers on.
How does that work then, to propose new laws in the EU you need a majority in the council, each country having a single vote. But you say Merkel controls everything. Then those proposals are passed in the EU Parl. yes Germany has a greater number of MEP's, but with 96 MEP's germany has no way of getting a majority with a total of 705 MEP's.

It's your total lack of understand of the EU which is the problem.

You are absolutely right and especially so if you only believe their PR. Where do those ideas for laws/regulations come from? Perhaps lobbying voices are louder in some parts than others.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 05, 2020, 02:50:01 PM

They understand the eu , they just dont want to be in it. I even posted the "wee bleu book" detailing how the eu works ( obviously it primarily focuses on scotland , but it details how the eu operates for an english audience.)

http://www.yeswecan.scot/flipbooks/WeeBleuBook/WeeBleuBook.html#p=1

Its your total lack of understanding this which is the problem gerry.

We had this argument over four years ago , voted on it , and after much deliberation , are now leaving in 17 weeks.

You can kick and scream all day long gerry , but its happening.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 01:44:03 PMYou don't get it, Germany (Merkel) is the EU. Macron will do what she tells him and the other 24 are just hangers on.
How does that work then, to propose new laws in the EU you need a majority in the council, each country having a single vote. But you say Merkel controls everything. Then those proposals are passed in the EU Parl. yes Germany has a greater number of MEP's, but with 96 MEP's germany has no way of getting a majority with a total of 705 MEP's.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on September 05, 2020, 12:59:23 PMThey sidelined Barney to get the WA signed.

They will do it again.
Ultimately this is a matter for heads of state.
Is that correct, any proof to back that up ?

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on September 05, 2020, 12:03:48 PM
Quote from: GerryT on September 05, 2020, 11:55:56 AM
Well what I've heard is barnier has requested a meeting with the eu council, heads of govt in each country to update on whats happening, which people speculate is a total roadblock. As barnier is working to member state agreed approach he is most likely giving them the opportunity to change their stance.
Then the 27 will discuss and together change or not the eu position. Then barnier will continue the excellent job he's doing.
To even think a head of any state, merkel as you say, would step in just shows the total ignorance about the eu.
LOL Gerry no need to feel sorry for him, he is such an arrogant arse anyway. Lets face it he set out in the first place to follow EU guidelines that any member state who actually dare try and leave and most definitely a large paying member they would create as much damage as possible. which in fairness was fine when they thought the electorate would fold and get back under their beds, but they realise it wasn't such a good idea in the first place they need to back off, very quickly or not only lose a large chunk of their budget but also a large chunk of a market share, which they have always kept the upper hand on.

But according to Gerry the EU are only losing 0.6% of their budget 😜. Using his maths you should be able to lose all member states and retain 90% of the budget. Lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Well what I've heard is barnier has requested a meeting with the eu council, heads of govt in each country to update on whats happening, which people speculate is a total roadblock. As barnier is working to member state agreed approach he is most likely giving them the opportunity to change their stance.
Then the 27 will discuss and together change or not the eu position. Then barnier will continue the excellent job he's doing.
To even think a head of any state, merkel as you say, would step in just shows the total ignorance about the eu.

You don't get it, Germany (Merkel) is the EU. Macron will do what she tells him and the other 24 are just hangers on.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

They sidelined Barney to get the WA signed.

They will do it again.
Ultimately this is a matter for heads of state.

Sheepy

LOL Gerry no need to feel sorry for him, he is such an arrogant arse anyway. Lets face it he set out in the first place to follow EU guidelines that any member state who actually dare try and leave and most definitely a large paying member they would create as much damage as possible. which in fairness was fine when they thought the electorate would fold and get back under their beds, but they realise it wasn't such a good idea in the first place they need to back off, very quickly or not only lose a large chunk of their budget but also a large chunk of a market share, which they have always kept the upper hand on.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

We'll see!

GerryT

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 05, 2020, 10:56:38 AM
Gerry says they have not budged an inch, which is no sort of negotiation, is it?
They'll have to sack Barnier to get a deal, otherwise he will lose face. Where will Varadkar be in all this?

Since the election Varadkar is out of the picture and there are bigger fish to fry now that Ireland. If all 27 are starting to worry we will go into the interminable all nighters and last minute deals that the EU love so much. Europeans are always so dramatic!

papasmurf

Barnier is due to retire anyway, so it is  somewhat of a non story.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Gerry says they have not budged an inch, which is no sort of negotiation, is it?
They'll have to sack Barnier to get a deal, otherwise he will lose face. Where will Varadkar be in all this?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I see it's reported in several places today that Barnier has had his day. Apparently the 27 are beginning to shake in their boots and feel that the impasse and bad feeling generated in the Brexit talks is down to him.

I gather that Merkel will be one of the politicians to take over and they are looking to a high level political solution for a deal. Mmmm!! Is the fat lady warming up?

I have first aid boxes at the ready!