Too much technology

Started by papasmurf, September 06, 2020, 09:27:51 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

You are right JOG. I put washing on and the machine has 14 programmes. I have only ever used two. The microwave only one, the dishwasher only one. If machines were limited to what is essential or favourite programmes they might be cheaper and easier to fix, with less to go wrong.

My car might as well be a space ship for all the use it is outside of getting me A - B.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 07, 2020, 09:00:27 AM
Towers from my kids when I'm gone, and strips the kitchen will be chucking away stuff for which barely half the fublnctions were ever used.

In the case of my new motorcycle the target customers since its first iteration in 1958, has been transport of poor people in the Far East, and it did and has changed and improved lives. I doubt that will apply to the latest version, due to it being no longer easy to repair at home.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

No I dont.

There are settings on the dishwasher and cooker and other kit sitting by or in the skip now on my drive that have never been dialled.

I suspect the new kit now being installed in its place in the new sixteen grand superkitchen im having fitted this week will be the same. Whoever buys JoG Towers from my kids when I'm gone, and strips the kitchen will be chucking away stuff for which barely half the fublnctions were ever used.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I have a Hyundai Ioniq and it has a huge capability for display selections, lane assist, automatic braking and even sport mode manual gearchanges.
I do use quite a few of these features. I suppose the manufacturers research what people want and put on the most popular. Then we as customers can choose to use those we want.
It does make me wonder why on an ECO car, anyone would want to drive it in boy racer mode, therefore defeating the object of ultra low emissions and economy.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I would agree but the theory seems to be if it's available they will include it in the package. Presumably it lifts the price of an item and of course it sounds good in the advertising.  Discretion is all and I don't feel that I am failing that I choose not to allow my phone to run my life. My children of course look at that discretion as an old age problem and get quite annoyed with me when I choose not to be available 24/7, but I choose to be incognito most of the time.

I try to have what is necessary to keep up with the modern age but only where it is useful to me and for no other reason. What I try not to do is let it run my life.

papasmurf

Do you use all of the technology that seems to be on everything these day?
My combination microwave/oven/grill has functions I will never use, when it comes to my PC I use little of the plethora of bells and whistles on it, and the same goes for my printer.
My new motorcycle which I am in the process of modifying for my height, age,  and decrepitude has some very complex programmable functions I don't need. (155 pages in the owners manual.)
It has remote to make it go "live," The instrument panel does a several second automatic systems check before the ignition goes live.
Given this is the latest iteration of a small motorcycle that has been in production since 1958 and has sold over 100 million the high technology is a bit of a puzzle.
The usual target market is the far East where they can often be seen with overloaded carry an entire family plus dog or baby in a bucket.
It seem to be high tech for the sake of it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe