FT: Bojo to override WA

Started by Dynamis, September 07, 2020, 04:20:38 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on September 07, 2020, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 07, 2020, 06:58:10 PM

It merely meant parliament could not by pass rights already inshrined in Scots law. Quiet different from parliaments rights being bypassed by the executive. As Parliament can not over rule the established law or courts in England, on most issues either, it has no baring on the conduct between executive and parliament.

Eh?

This sounds like complete waffle.

I contradicted your original statement using lord coopers judegment as an example that parliaments sovereignty is an english not scottish principle.

Another example of this pish about sovereignty you seem to think can be used as a tool to ride roughshod over brexiters because you dont like referndum results  is the example of AXA in 1998.

The "sovereign" parliament of the uk  had passed laws on asbestosis plaques , and the "devolved " scottish parliament has passed an opposing bill on the same subject contradicting the "soveriegn" parliament , which then went to the uk supreme court.

So you are saying the uk sovereign parliament could pass rights not already enshrined in scots law right?

So what happened then?

Everyone such as yourself screaming "parliament is sovereign" at westminster had a shock when the supreme court ruled in favour of holyrood .

Hidden away in their judgement was the statement that it had no power to set aside any bill, statute or act of the Parliament of Scotland where that bill expressed the clear will of the (sovereign) people of Scotland.

so you are talking nonsense.

Yours  is the waffle mate, as the Cooper ruling , had no effect on the judgements given in the supreme courts regarding , relative rights ,of the Executive, and parliament it's self.  In regard to how the brexit, issue was being dealt with, and of course the the use of prorogue to Prevent debate.
He merely reflected that the law made in the name of ,and with the will of the people was considered sovereign, in Scotland, as it is in England.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 07, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
Fact: No Parliament may bund the hand of a future parliament.

Was that typo deliberate?

QuoteThere is a damn good reason why this is the case. Those expecting deviation from that precedent need to be committed to an asylum.

Every parliament has in some way or another done this IMHO.

Typo ? Ah That's my bloody android phone keyboard.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2020, 08:16:55 PM
Quote from: Stevlin on September 07, 2020, 08:13:46 PM
What the hell is it with you? The nations of Great Britain united as ONE country...

When did that happen?
During the GE. Your beloved Tory's kicked everyone's arse.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 07, 2020, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: Baff on September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM
The supremacy of the people is the essence of democracy.
Not the executive and not the parliament.

The supremacy of a parliament over the people is known as "oligarchy".

And who speaks for "the people"?

Do we have to ask "the people" every single time the government makes a decision?

Widening the A417?  Referendum
Increasing the insulation requirements of refurbished buildings over 3 stories? Referendum
Changing bin collections from Tuesday to Wednesday? referendum
We spoke for ourselves.
No one spoke for us.

One man, one vote.

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 09:33:42 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 09:08:58 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 07, 2020, 09:01:38 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 08:58:51 PM
. According to your lot before the election you were winning by a mile and would reverse the referendum.

i know sheep , but we were hearing about the mythical great silent remain majority for over four years.......and apart from scotland , they never appeared in a single election or referendum in england.

I think after the first two or three goals everyone except the most blinkered remainer knew the game was over. 5-0 in the end wint it?
They are mad as march hares, yesterday it was Bojo was useless today he is a maniac. Then they find out the people are actually sovereign and now they wish Corbyn had won.

Your concern is noted monsieur mouton. :) Unfortunately you were slightly wrong-  he is in fact both useless and a maniac, but a lovely fella and wonderful ostrich otherwise.
LOL thats the spirit look on the bright side.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 09:08:58 PM
. According to your lot before the election you were winning by a mile and would reverse the referendum.

i know sheep , but we were hearing about the mythical great silent remain majority for over four years.......and apart from scotland , they never appeared in a single election or referendum in england.

I think after the first two or three goals everyone except the most blinkered remainer knew the game was over. 5-0 in the end wint it?
They are mad as march hares, yesterday it was Bojo was useless today he is a maniac. Then they find out the people are actually sovereign and now they wish Corbyn had won.

Your concern is noted monsieur mouton. :) Unfortunately you were slightly wrong-  he is in fact both useless and a maniac, but a lovely fella and wonderful ostrich otherwise.
+++

Stevlin

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 07, 2020, 08:42:00 PM

You're in luck. As per the 2016 referendum result, the UK left the EU earlier this year.

Now, as per the democracy that you love do much, a good chunk of the citizens of the UK are going to campaign to rejoin at some future date.

So don't worry, you'll get to live out your days in the sunlit uplands of brexit and when all the boomers have popped their clogs we'll clear up this mess along with all the other ones that generation made.
Oh grow up for heavens' sake! Still , hardly surprising if you Europhiles don't understand the benefit of sovereignty.
You're in luck. As per the 2016 referendum result, the UK left the EU earlier this year.
No we haven't.....the reality is we are NOT out until the transition period is over......and the EU is STILL endeavouring to keep the UK tied in despite the UK supposedly becoming Sovereign soon.....It is the EU that is NOT respecting the forthcoming 'Sovereignty' of the UK.
Now, as per the democracy that you love do much, a good chunk of the citizens of the UK are going to campaign to rejoin at some future date.
So what? campaigning is allowed in a democracy - and if even more idiots don't understand what 'democracy' is, and vote to rejoin...so what...IF it is the democratic wish....but I believe there are more sensible people around - who do fully appreciate the meaning of democracy.
So don't worry, you'll get to live out your days in the sunlit uplands of brexit and when all the boomers have popped their clogs we'll clear up this mess along with all the other ones that generation made.
Fine - if the majority of the electorate are daft enough to vote to rejoin....that is democracy in action....even if very un-EU like.

Geeez - at least one Europhile doesn't even appear to realise that 'Sovereignty' is a prerequisite to democracy!!
"What use is sovereignty' for heaven's sake !!

Sheepy

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 08:50:46 PM
I know he was very far from.perfect but I just can't see him as worse than Bojo or May.

ok well thats your opinion of the man not ine or many others.

I do think he was treated badly by the blairites, but i also think him unfit for power. The guy is one of the worst leaders of labour i have ever seen , and certainly no great politician.

All done and dusted now , but clearly the infighting and hatred over what starmer and his mates did to corbyn isnt.

Sheepy

With hindsight, you lot do make me laugh. According to your lot before the election you were winning by a mile and would reverse the referendum. I told you you would get trounced and Blair would replace Corbyn with one of his own.

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 08:50:46 PM

Maybe.. but he was treated like shite by Labour with internal saboteurs working hard to thwart and pressure him.

totally agree ,and i said as much to momentum steve on here.

Now the man who treated him like shite is in charge of the labour party............and good old expects folk to vote for that snake?

What planet are some people on dyno  in your country dyno ? Seriously?

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 08:43:01 PM

England voted for Bojo so to me that is the worst deal imaginable.

Let me put it this way, if we in England had any type of Brexit under Corbyn (just assuming) I would prefer it to staying in the EU under Bojo.

That perfectly summarizes my position, the overall running of England is my concern - and who's in power.

ok but you have to question why england continually votes tory , and why labour continually look stupid.

I mean that farce of a manifesto and position on brexit last decmeber was one of the most stupid things i have ever seen in politics. Much of it caused by starmer and the severe divisions within labour.

While the english are given the choice of dumb and dumber , they will keep voting dumb.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 07, 2020, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 08:33:58 PM
but the Tories played their usuzl game of selecting a new keader and distracting the country with that bollocks.

And it worked..and we got the soggiest remainer ever...May, who's the worst negotiator imaginable. That's where things went doubly wrong.

oh come oan mate. Labour had their chance according to many pundits to vote for mays withdrawal agreement , which would probably have split the tories , took may out of power , put corbyn in  , and left them the wardens to how brexit proceeded.

With hindsight ..probably yes.

QuoteJohnsons election as tory leader and pm is labours fault. Had labour had someone a bit more politically astute at the helm , we might be in a different place.

Instead we had corbyn  , a complete wet blanket of a politician , totally clueless , well known brexiter , all over the place worshipped by the hard left nutjobs in the party , and johnson made them look foolish , along with starmer and all the remainers in and out of parliament.

Maybe.. but he was treated like shite by Labour with internal saboteurs working hard to thwart and pressure him.

Had he been allowed to do as he wished I honestly believe things would have been different. I know he was very far from.perfect but I just can't see him as worse than Bojo or May.
+++

Sheepy

How could you have left under Corbyn? he told us straight the Labour party wouldn't let him.