FT: Bojo to override WA

Started by Dynamis, September 07, 2020, 04:20:38 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 09:23:25 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 09:13:49 AM
Didn't I hear this morning that the government is just tying up loose ends?

I thought that said lying obtuse bellends.

(Sorry, had to).

But I can't see how this helps anything really. What childish games are going to fix things with the EU? Can't see it...

The negotiations appeared to have gotten bogged down in squabbles about the size of a bag of fish and chips and whether or not they can be wrapped in copies of the Guardian. As such I imagine that Boris realises that it is pretty minor stuff and is pushing for a no deal exit.
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

I thought that said lying obtuse bellends.

(Sorry, had to).

But I can't see how this helps anything really. What childish games are going to fix things with the EU? Can't see it...
+++

papasmurf

More like tying their own shoelaces together.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 07, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
Fact: No Parliament may bund the hand of a future parliament.

Was that typo deliberate?

QuoteThere is a damn good reason why this is the case. Those expecting deviation from that precedent need to be committed to an asylum.

Every parliament has in some way or another done this IMHO.
+++

johnofgwent

Fact: No Parliament may bund the hand of a future parliament.

There is a damn good reason why this is the case. Those expecting deviation from that precedent need to be committed to an asylum.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

If that gets through Parliament that will be "The Troubles," Mark 2.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

It never pays to show your hand too early. It also pays to leave the table just to focus the opponent's mind. The EU have played fast and loose with so many of it's members and others over the years that they are stuck in the same MO. I sincerely hope that we can finally show them and the world that we are deadly serious about having total autonomy. 45+ years under the weight of the EU umbrella acting not only as a protection but even more as an impenetrable ceiling is enough.

Sheepy

Oh really well who knew, that the conservatives would get their fingers out, red lines are red lines, something the EU don't believe in.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 07, 2020, 05:56:57 AM
I was half expecting that the WA would be re-written/torn up at some stage .

I wondered that too streetwalker. I did hint to our irish friends gerry and conor not to get too sure of northern irelands status remaining in the eu as it caused many political problems for johnson and the tories.

Could be as the heat rises and we close on the end date for all this shite , johnson is just going to say feck it and take his chances if the eu wont play ball.

It does seem to be degenerating down to bad tempered negotiations.

Also its quite smart again from johnsons perspective as once more it takes the heat off issues at home and will have the tory party and the public fully behind him against the eu. Wonder what starmer will say if anything?

You can clearly see remainers and the eu getting more and more increasingly edgy as time goes by. If that weak kneed clown theresa may had done this years ago , we might yet again be in a better place just now.

All she and her fellow remainers did was postpone the day of reckoning.

Quote   "There needs to be an agreement with our European friends by the time of the European Council on 15 October . . . if we can't agree by then, then I do not see that there will be a free trade agreement between us, and we should both accept that and move on," he said.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

I was half expecting that the WA would be re-written/torn up at some stage .
With the continuation of obstacles being  erected by remainer members of parliament and the general unwillingness to come together to achieve what the British people had voted for Johnson IMO would have signed anything to get Parliaments approval and to move on to the next stage of leaving . That being the trade talks .

We dont know exactly what goes on behind the doors but maybe this latest press release is a hint of  the direction the government will be going without any deal . For all the talk of whos fault it is or red lines not budging ect its all just posturing while the underlings work around the clock to achieve a workable compromise

Maybe they will ,maybe they wont but as the clock runs down the heat will go up and the talk of whats to come will replace the talk of what could have been .

Borg Refinery

https://www.france24.com/en/20200907-uk-s-johnson-to-override-brexit-withdrawal-agreement-says-ft

The British government is planning legislation that will override key parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, risking the collapse of trade negotiations with Brussels, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

Sections of the internal market bill, due to be published on Wednesday, are expected to "eliminate the legal force of parts of the withdrawal agreement" in areas including state aid and Northern Ireland customs, the newspaper said, citing three people familiar with the plans.

A source told the FT that the move could "clearly and consciously" undermine the agreement on Northern Ireland that Prime Minister Boris Johnson signed last October to avoid a return to a hard border in the region.

The move comes as Britain and the European Union resume talks on a trade deal, with Johnson saying on Sunday that if an agreement is not reached by Oct. 15, both sides should "accept that and move on".

If the sticking point of fisheries and state aid cannot be resolved and a deal agreed, Britain would have a trading relationship with the bloc like Australia's, which would be "a good outcome", Johnson said.

The planned legislation, as reported by the Financial Times, would ratchet up tension between the two sides by attempting to undo some of the elements of the Withdrawal Agreement signed earlier this year, including those relating to the border between EU-member Ireland and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom.

The move was condemned by parties on both sides of the Irish border.

Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney, who played a key role in negotiating the withdrawal agreement and Northern Ireland protocol, said on Twitter that the reported move "would be a very unwise way to proceed."

Senior members of Northern Ireland's Sinn Fein and SDLP parties, the region's two largest Irish nationalist groups, also criticised the British government's plan, as reported by the newspaper.

(REUTERS)

Snips from the Irish Times article now..

Quote........
Last week, the EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier warned that "a precise implementation of the withdrawal agreement" was vital for the success of trade talks and a key issue of trust between the two parties.

"It is a very blunt instrument," said one of those familiar with the matter. "The bill will explicitly say the government reserves the right to set its own regime, directly setting up UK law in opposition with obligations under the withdrawal agreement, and in full cognisance that this will breach international law."
Bill clauses
The UK internal market bill, outlined in a 100-page white paper in July, is designed to secure the "seamless functioning" of trade between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland after the UK leaves the EU's single market and customs union at the end of this year.

But some clauses in the bill will effectively override parts of the so-called Northern Ireland protocol, which was signed alongside the withdrawal agreement in October and has enraged prominent Brexit-supporting MPs who see it as a threat to British sovereignty.

A British government spokesperson said it was "working hard to resolve outstanding issues" with the Northern Ireland protocol. The spokesperson added: "As a responsible government, we are considering fall-back options in the event this is not achieved to ensure the communities of Northern Ireland are protected."

Under the withdrawal agreement, the UK must notify Brussels of any state aid decisions that would affect Northern Ireland's goods market, and compel businesses in the province to file customs paperwork when sending goods into the rest of the UK. But clauses in the internal market and finance bills will force the UK courts to follow the new UK law rather than the EU deal, diluting the ability of the protocol to intrude on UK state aid policy.

The autumn finance bill, used to write the chancellor's Budget into law, is also expected to overwrite a third aspect of the Northern Ireland protocol covering the payment of tariffs on goods entering the region, according to those familiar with the plans.
'Nuclear option'
Officials say the plans risk poisoning the prospects of an eleventh-hour deal.

Lord Frost, the UK chief negotiator, has already deepened tensions ahead of negotiations that are due to resume in London on Tuesday, saying in a Sunday newspaper interview that the UK would not become a "client state" of the EU.

A second person familiar with the impending bill said that Lord Frost had personally driven the decision to take the "nuclear option" of overwriting the withdrawal agreement, despite progress being made in talks on implementing the Irish protocol.

Christophe Hansen, the European Parliament's lead MEP for the adoption of the future trade agreement, told the Financial Times that the full respect of the withdrawal agreement was a core "trust" issue and a "litmus test" of the UK's willingness to honour deals with Brussels

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/brexit/brexit-coveney-warning-over-reported-uk-legislation-plan-1.4348153?mode=amp
+++