FT: Bojo to override WA

Started by Dynamis, September 07, 2020, 04:20:38 AM

« previous - next »

Stevlin

Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 05:22:15 PM
Quote from: Stevlin on September 07, 2020, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 09:08:03 AM

There is a damn good reason why this is the case. Those expecting deviation from that precedent need to be committed to an asylum.

Every parliament has in some way or another done this IMHO.

Really? - well then, you should be able to cite when the UK Parliament last 'tied the hands' of a future UK Parliament, and thereby support your contention for a change!!

For a change, try the quickest source of all, wiki -

, the present state that is the UK is descended from the international Treaty of Union between England and Scotland in 1706/7 which led to the creation of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain". It is clear that the terms of that Treaty stated that certain of its provisions could not be altered, for example the separate existence of the Scottish legal system,[3] and formally, these restrictions are a continuing limitation on the sovereignty of the UK Parliament. although the United Kingdom has since ceased membership of the EU.

The practice of non binding gets overridden all the time (in reality although it should apply in theory) by intro'ing arcane legislation that is A) hard to repeal and that they know will be subject to countless legal challenges, and by entrenching people with power to make it stick and doing things like flooding the Lords.....

Just more nonsense from you and Wiki....the separate governments/legal systems were the direct result of the AGREEMENT that was formalised by the associated parties.....and that agreement allowed 'devolved' issues to be governed by individual countries...and expanded by Bliar.....but the UK Parliament is sovereign on non-devolved issues....or at least will regain its' Parliamentary sovereignty  when Brexit is FINALLY achieved.
There is NO sensible requirement for ANY so called mutually beneficial trade agreement to require a POLITICAL regime....other than a formal Federation of States of course.

'

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 07, 2020, 05:31:26 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 05:14:59 PM
Perhaps Sir Starmer would consider including rejoining in his next manifesto!

I hope he doesn't,  the EU, would only offer a crap option.  Toots,  my objection was how a rarely used option of referendum was in the end used to question the very sovereignty , that was said  to be so important to protect. The fact that the highest court in the land needed to confirm parliaments rights, in effect that very same sovereignty  showed the dangers invoked by the way this whole affair was conducted.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that approaching the High Courts was a good or bad thing?

It was a good thing in so much as it established what the executive should have known, and therefore not attempted to challenge parliaments rights. It should not have been needed, as the sovereignty of parliament was long established .
If the courts had not ruled , then parliament could have been bypassed for any number of reasons in future by any executive of any persuasion.

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on September 07, 2020, 05:39:15 PM

I quiet believe  you and many on here have been critical of their democracy for some time. But rarely has the executive wrongly  put such pressure on the long established process of our sovereign parliament. Very worrying for some of us.

Lord Cooper's much-cited judgement in McCormack vs the Lord Advocate (1953) where he stated that "the principle of unlimited sovereignty of parliament is a distinctly English principle and has no counterpart in Scottish Constitutional Law"

Lord Cooper's core finding was that the Acts of Union preserved the rights of the Scottish people as being sovereign, and that that status is an essential part of the Acts which cannot be changed, for all time
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on September 07, 2020, 05:20:51 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 07, 2020, 05:10:12 PM
Yet our own process has found itself the next in line for criticism from in the main the same people.

i have been a critic of your parliament and its processes all my life.

So have many others on this forum like streetwalker , deppity dawg john of gwent and many many others.

The idea this has merely come to the fold over brexit is nonsense.

Brexit as i keep saying is a symptom not the cause.

I quiet believe  you and many on here have been critical of their democracy for some time. But rarely has the executive wrongly  put such pressure on the long established process of our sovereign parliament. Very worrying for some of us.

T00ts

I hope he doesn't,  the EU, would only offer a crap option.  Toots,  my objection was how a rarely used option of referendum was in the end used to question the very sovereignty , that was said  to be so important to protect. The fact that the highest court in the land needed to confirm parliaments rights, in effect that very same sovereignty  showed the dangers invoked by the way this whole affair was conducted.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that approaching the High Courts was a good or bad thing?

Sheepy

the people are sovereign, just like they are in Scotland. It just took them longer to get it.

Good old

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 07, 2020, 05:21:52 PM

without a doubt toots , but its labour we are talking here , so they will be more subtle about it .
Nah they stick to their traditions and lie like hell. On the bright side maybe the SNP voters will turn tail and vote for them being anti-Brexit and all.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Stevlin on September 07, 2020, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 07, 2020, 09:08:03 AM

There is a damn good reason why this is the case. Those expecting deviation from that precedent need to be committed to an asylum.

Every parliament has in some way or another done this IMHO.

Really? - well then, you should be able to cite when the UK Parliament last 'tied the hands' of a future UK Parliament, and thereby support your contention for a change!!

For a change, try the quickest source of all, wiki -

The traditional view put forward by A. V. Dicey is that parliament had the power to make any law except any law that bound its successors. Formally speaking however, the present state that is the UK is descended from the international Treaty of Union between England and Scotland in 1706/7 which led to the creation of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain". It is clear that the terms of that Treaty stated that certain of its provisions could not be altered, for example the separate existence of the Scottish legal system,[3] and formally, these restrictions are a continuing limitation on the sovereignty of the UK Parliament. This has also been reconsidered by constitutional theorists including Sir William Wade and Trevor Allan in light of the European Communities Act 1972 and other provisions relating to membership of the European Union, and the position of the Human Rights Act 1998 and any attempts to make this or other legislation entrenched.[citation needed] These issues remain contested, although the United Kingdom has since ceased membership of the EU.

The practice of non binding gets overridden all the time (in reality although it should apply in theory) by intro'ing arcane legislation that is A) hard to repeal and that they know will be subject to countless legal challenges, and by entrenching people with power to make it stick and doing things like flooding the Lords.....

Now they want to abolish the Electoral Commission so the public can't ever vote these feckers out.

Wonderful..
+++

Thomas

without a doubt toots , but its labour we are talking here , so they will be more subtle about it .

Thomas

Yet our own process has found itself the next in line for criticism from in the main the same people.

i have been a critic of your parliament and its processes all my life.

So have many others on this forum like streetwalker , deppity dawg john of gwent and many many others.

The idea this has merely come to the fold over brexit is nonsense.

Brexit as i keep saying is a symptom not the cause.

Sheepy

Oh I am sure, Mr slimy will do that, the  punters would love it.

T00ts

Sheepy

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 07, 2020, 04:41:48 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 04:04:14 PMIt is indeed, because everyone was told clearly this was a full and final decision, I don't care what you suspect. Although of course afterwards you all made out you didn't understand what you were clearly told, so we have spent 5 years explaining it time and time again.
So democracy means that whatever the executive says immediately becomes the unalterable law of the land?

I mean, this is exactly what the current Leave government, cheered on by people like you, are trying to achieve by putting the word of the executive above that of parliament or the judiciary and casting all dissent against them as treachery.

The age old aims of the power crazed . We witnessed its effects on the last parliament . I hope Cameron, didn't realise what he had actually let loose. Maybe he did. Nothing has called our democratic process, and the workings and supremacy of parliamentary  rights into question In this way for a very long time, and they haven't done yet.
It was supposed to be the EU that was in question. Yet our own process has found itself the next in line for criticism from in the main the same people.
Well you know what to do then, stand for the next Parliament on an EU platform, LOL .