Welcome to the new normal 'policing'...

Started by DeppityDawg, September 07, 2020, 11:02:06 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on September 07, 2020, 11:59:16 AM

Yes it's changed . How could it not? When the powers that be insist on reducing numbers and budget  of a service that should be designed  to react to many situations with numerical force.
It's a Police Force, not just another branch of the CS.  There will always be a public order question in a free and vibrant society that may not be serious if policed properly ,with numbers capable of maintaining the law in any situation. 
Before COVID, the problem seemed to be recognised to a degree with Boris, talking 20,000 more police, to replace 20,000 they thought they could do without. so they know the cuts went to far. This seems to take no account of the auxiliary components that were dumped , which alone made space for officers to be more mobile .
If it happens it takes time to find 20,000 worthwhile candidates ,and train them to the modern standards expected just to understand our complicated law. Foresight has been Increasingly missing on all fronts for the last ten years.

ok but labour opposed the snp amalgamating the scottish police from the different regional units of old into one big police scotland , to save jobs and keep the numbers up.

Further ,originally they were telling us in scotland for the majority of the last 10 years they have been out of power that cuts had to be made to policing (darling milliband and many others saying we will cut deeper than the tories would if we get back in power ) , now opportunistic labour try and make political capital out of policing when they would have cut the numbers too.

Whats starmers position on police and crime? Or is this a top secret too.? :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2020, 11:58:16 AMI'm happy that the police numbers and recruitment are rising. I hope that they get the right sort of people.

Who are the "right" sort of people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfluaMKoOY

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 11:21:18 AM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 07, 2020, 11:15:05 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 11:07:19 AMWell not one to cast aspersions on the official narrative Dawg but....... he sure looks like the guy who was throwing punches I was told about.

This is WITH a Police force...imagine what it would have been without one?

Is the problem that policing has changed? Are they concentrated too much on road crimes rather than law and order?

Yes it's changed . How could it not? When the powers that be insist on reducing numbers and budget  of a service that should be designed  to react to many situations with numerical force.
It's a Police Force, not just another branch of the CS.  There will always be a public order question in a free and vibrant society that may not be serious if policed properly ,with numbers capable of maintaining the law in any situation. 
Before COVID, the problem seemed to be recognised to a degree with Boris, talking 20,000 more police, to replace 20,000 they thought they could do without. so they know the cuts went to far. This seems to take no account of the auxiliary components that were dumped , which alone made space for officers to be more mobile .
If it happens it takes time to find 20,000 worthwhile candidates ,and train them to the modern standards expected just to understand our complicated law. Foresight has been Increasingly missing on all fronts for the last ten years.

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 07, 2020, 11:55:46 AM

But like Thomas said, if you call them and say there's been a "hate crime" (homo/transphobic/religious/gender etc), they'll be around in no time. They are the "thought police" now, and little else

If you phone the police up and say you have tied a burglar up to a chair, they will be arrive in minutes arresting you for kidnap.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

What we don't need is Police and crime commisioners making excuses for murderers.

A rise in violence is "almost inevitable" because of the coronavirus lockdown, a police and crime commissioner warned as a series of stabbings left one dead and seven injured in Birmingham.

David Jamieson, the elected official overseeing policing in the West Midlands, said that people had "a lot of pent-up feelings" because of the pandemic and its impact on their jobs and futures.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/birmingham-stabbing-news-attack-coronavirus-lockdown-crime-violence-b404549.html

I'm happy that the police numbers and recruitment are rising. I hope that they get the right sort of people.
† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 11:21:18 AMIs the problem that policing has changed? Are they concentrated too much on road crimes rather than law and order?

Road crimes? Thats all done by camera now - some guy rear ended me 6 months ago, turned out to be uninsured. I reported it (which you can only do by internet now unless there has been an injury), but heard absolutely ZERO from them. Just not interested.

But like Thomas said, if you call them and say there's been a "hate crime" (homo/transphobic/religious/gender etc), they'll be around in no time. They are the "thought police" now, and little else

papasmurf

I doubt more police could stop an incident like this one though.  Breaking and developing news:-

https://news.sky.com/story/police-declare-serious-incident-after-reports-of-shooting-in-ipswich-12065798

Monday 7 September 2020 11:36, UK
BREAKING 
Police declare 'serious incident' after reports of shooting involving pupil on way to school
Kesgrave High School confirmed a teenage pupil was involved in the incident.

papasmurf

Is the problem that policing has changed? Are they concentrated too much on road crimes rather than law and order?

Police Traffic Officers have been as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns for decades. The "Motorway Patrol" officers are not police.

Thomas

no. politicians thought policing and crime had changed , and it was changing from armed robbery to online fraud , or a punch up down the pub to offending some bloke with a beard who identifies as a girl on twitter.

Then it came back and bit them on the bum.

As for road crime , christ , thetraffic polis appear to be nothing more than tax collectors for the motorist as an easy target for when the coffers get a bit low.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 07, 2020, 11:15:05 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 07, 2020, 11:07:19 AMWell not one to cast aspersions on the official narrative Dawg but....... he sure looks like the guy who was throwing punches I was told about.

DeppityDawg

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 07, 2020, 11:02:06 AM

Are you ready to "defund the police"?

No I am not, I want police numbers and funding to be increased to beyond pre-austerity levels.
There are teenagers where I live who have never seen police car or police officer.
It is a stark situation when the police ask me to take a statement from someone in hospital after a road accident.
(There used to be a police officer permanently in the hospital, there was a police office in the hospital, that went years ago.)

Sheepy

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 07, 2020, 11:02:06 AM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8705023/Birmingham-knifeman-confronted-man-girl-stabbing-spree.html

QuoteA 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a knife rampage that left one person dead and seven injured - as police launch an investigation into how the stabbing spree was allowed to continue for almost two hours.

Well not one to cast aspersions on the official narrative Dawg but....... he sure looks like the guy who was throwing punches I was told about.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8705023/Birmingham-knifeman-confronted-man-girl-stabbing-spree.html

QuoteA 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a knife rampage that left one person dead and seven injured - as police launch an investigation into how the stabbing spree was allowed to continue for almost two hours.