Main Menu

Facts about Covid-19

Started by Barry, September 08, 2020, 10:21:59 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 08, 2020, 06:16:50 PM

I don't know how many times I have to say this, the virus has a kill rate of less than 1 per thousand.

The problem is 500000 and rising people who have "recovered," have long term medical problems as a result.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2020, 03:10:52 PMAnd with the impact of the return of schools still to come - not to mention the re-opening of universities next month - fears are growing that cases and then deaths could start spiralling.
It would appear that the virus is likely to go through the schools like a dose of salts this autumn. However, the kids are not at risk, it is the grandparents at greater risk and the vulnerable.
I don't know how many times I have to say this, the virus has a kill rate of less than 1 per thousand. It will kill the elderly and vulnerable, so if we have another lock-down it will just delay the inevitable. There may be a vaccine next year, there may not.
The government can't nanny us all. We know the risks and we can take our own decisions. I prefer to live life with risks than have a living death.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Javert on September 08, 2020, 04:30:54 PM
Swiss Policy Research describe themselves as "an independent nonprofit research group investigating geopolitical propaganda in Swiss and international media"

However....

QuoteThe site has been widely criticised for spreading conspiracy theories, especially during the times of the COVID-19 pandemic when it has become a source of misinformation and disinformation internationally.[2] The site has been categorized as a tool of propaganda.[3] It has also been noted that, contrary to what the title suggests, the contents of the site are likely created outside of Switzerland.

Why am I not surprised?

Nice to see you posting again.
+++

Javert

Swiss Policy Research describe themselves as "an independent nonprofit research group investigating geopolitical propaganda in Swiss and international media"

However....

QuoteThe site has been widely criticised for spreading conspiracy theories, especially during the times of the COVID-19 pandemic when it has become a source of misinformation and disinformation internationally.[2] The site has been categorized as a tool of propaganda.[3] It has also been noted that, contrary to what the title suggests, the contents of the site are likely created outside of Switzerland.

Why am I not surprised?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 08, 2020, 03:18:09 PM
Infection rates rising does not encourage confidence. Hibernation seems the way forward for now.

I ventured out in the car today, (a fifty mile round trip,) frankly it is still to dangerous far too many potential plague carriers from out of the county still here ignoring social distancing and not wearing masks.
(The standard of driving is still appalling, I really will have to get a police evidence compliant dash-cam.)

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on September 08, 2020, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 08, 2020, 11:15:57 AM
.. and yet there is a guy on Sky news this morning saying that everyone is far too relaxed about the spread. I am very picky about where I go, use sanitiser regularly if I am out but that seems to be only about twice a week. Otherwise everything gets delivered.

With so many versions of 'the truth' 'the facts' I don't think I panic I am just circumspect.

Well Toots, according to worldometer the death rate has been falling steadily for 5 months. For the week ending 12 April 2020 there were 6438 deaths. For the week ending 1 September 2020 it was only 55. None of that bothers the media who know that a good chunk of the population is more interested in being shit scared rather than the facts, so it will continue with these nonsensical stories until Meghan finds another boy toy and Harry has to sign on.

We are living in a divided society at present. I am not in the same health bracket as those younger and fitter. I suspect that not a lot has changed for me and if I catch it my odds are very high. The young and fit are perhaps just a bit blase about it and while they are more reckless than even the authorities think is wise, I need to show some self preservation until the infection rates are close to nil. Infection rates rising does not encourage confidence. Hibernation seems the way forward for now.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 08, 2020, 02:16:40 PM

Well Toots, according to worldometer the death rate has been falling steadily for 5 months. For the week ending 12 April 2020 there were 6438 deaths. For the week ending 1 September 2020 it was only 55. None of that bothers the media who know that a good chunk of the population is more interested in being shit scared rather than the facts, so it will continue with these nonsensical stories until Meghan finds another boy toy and Harry has to sign on.

The problem is in Britain the infection rate is has been heading back up towards 3000 per day, and the R rate has gone above one in far too many areas of Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54064339

8 September 2020
The daily confirmed figures for coronavirus cases have shown a significant jump in the past two days.

On Sunday they rose by nearly 3,000 and then on Monday by almost exactly the same again - the highest single day increases since May.

It means the UK is now seeing four times as many cases on average as it was in mid July.

And with the impact of the return of schools still to come - not to mention the re-opening of universities next month - fears are growing that cases and then deaths could start spiralling.

Borchester

.. and yet there is a guy on Sky news this morning saying that everyone is far too relaxed about the spread. I am very picky about where I go, use sanitiser regularly if I am out but that seems to be only about twice a week. Otherwise everything gets delivered.

With so many versions of 'the truth' 'the facts' I don't think I panic I am just circumspect.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on September 08, 2020, 12:04:17 PM

Taking precautions is not panic, why anyone thinks it has to be is beyond me . For us older people ,the rate of attrition is sky high in comparison to other age groups. It's as simple as that.
That means our needs are quiet different to those in other groups, the real question is not whether us oldies panic or any other group for that matter , it's really a case of how much help will we get in trying to protect our selfs in a common sense way, from people knowing the difference between panic and and good sense caution.

I could not agree more. Judging a trip I had to make this morning, it is still bloody dangerous out there.

Good old

Taking precautions is not panic, why anyone thinks it has to be is beyond me . For us older people ,the rate of attrition is sky high in comparison to other age groups. It's as simple as that.
That means our needs are quiet different to those in other groups, the real question is not whether us oldies panic or any other group for that matter , it's really a case of how much help will we get in trying to protect our selfs in a common sense way, from people knowing the difference between panic and and good sense caution.

T00ts

Barry

† The end is nigh †