Main Menu

Facts about Covid-19

Started by Barry, September 08, 2020, 10:21:59 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2020, 10:06:28 PMDoes this make me a Nazi? Because I agree with you.

Well, it was bound to happen, LL  :P

We'll invade Poland tomorrow

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Sheepy on September 10, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
I caught the millennium bug and never got over it, where do I claim?

..For the extra 13d and 4h, you can claim from Ministry of Agriculture.

Btw -

"A customer at a New York state video store had a bill for $91,250 for renting The General's Daughter for 100 years"

..She must have gotten very old!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/31/millennium-bug-face-fears-y2k-it-systems
+++

srb7677

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2020, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 09:31:31 PMNo it's not just a government fault. It is even more the fault of Health England who failed to even begin to appreciate what was heading our way.  Even more it is the fault of the fools in society who pretend it doesn't matter what they are asked to do for the sake of all of us.

Thats also the "younger generation paying for the old" argument that's been done before. Its not us, with mortgages paid off, rock solid credit ratings, secure well paid jobs and careers or pension either in or close to payment, a lifetime of work and savings behind us, that will suffer the crippling long term effects of this lunacy. You try and explain to a young daughter whose just got herself into 10s of thousands of pounds of debt and is now looking at zero future, that this government has done a good job - because I can't look her in the eye and say it it true, because its patently not.

Sorry, I just don't agree. They've been fecking sold out, and now they are being blamed for it too
Does this make me a Nazi? Because I agree with you.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

DeppityDawg

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2020, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 09:31:31 PMNo it's not just a government fault. It is even more the fault of Health England who failed to even begin to appreciate what was heading our way.  Even more it is the fault of the fools in society who pretend it doesn't matter what they are asked to do for the sake of all of us.

Thats also the "younger generation paying for the old" argument that's been done before. Its not us, with mortgages paid off, rock solid credit ratings, secure well paid jobs and careers or pension either in or close to payment, a lifetime of work and savings behind us, that will suffer the crippling long term effects of this lunacy. You try and explain to a young daughter whose just got herself into 10s of thousands of pounds of debt and is now looking at zero future, that this government has done a good job - because I can't look her in the eye and say it it true, because its patently not.

Sorry, I just don't agree. They've been fecking sold out, and now they are being blamed for it too

Sorry to hear that about your daughter.

It probably comes as no surprise that I completely agree..
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 09:31:31 PM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2020, 09:10:24 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 08:32:01 PMThe complainers may well think they would have done it differently so maybe it's time to stand for election and find out what the hot seat really feels like.

Oh come on, Toots. This government tilts at a new fecking windmill every single day. They react to every last tiny little whisper of public opinion, its as if we are being governed over twitter or by the BBC. The whole bullshit line about being guided by the science was because Boris Johnson, despite all his fantasies about being some kind of modern day Churchill, is too fecking scared to take the actual responsibility of governing. His own advisors can't even follow their own fecking advice, which to be honest is hardly surprising, because it charges so rapidly that no one can hope to keep up with it. From the Nightingale white elephant, to the muddled and incoherent "herd immunity strategy" to the testing fiasco, its been a complete farce from day one. Its hard to imagine even Corbyn could have fecked it up more completely than this shower of fecking idiots. The only exception is Rishi Sunak, who alone seems to be the only competent member of the entire cabinet

No DD it's easy to say all that and of course there are those with an agenda who put it forward. I don't agree. I defy anyone to do substantially better in their position. With the society that we have they failed to appeal to their better nature because generally they don't have one. They didn't want to lockdown and even now people won't distance. Some societies will take orders/instruction. The Swedes for a start are more socially minded than many of us, and some countries simply do as they are told. We don't, only those of us at real risk. Years and years of Left wing culture has given  us a generation or more with masses with little understanding of anything much outside the Kardashians etc.

No it's not just a government fault. It is even more the fault of Health England who failed to even begin to appreciate what was heading our way.  Even more it is the fault of the fools in society who pretend it doesn't matter what they are asked to do for the sake of all of us.

So you're blaming all the youngsters for not understanding anything more than the Kardashians?

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the reason for our numerous failures and had nothing to do with a govt which makes even the Kardashians look like geniuses in comparison, by gosh I've no idea what that says about the people supporting this govt so heavily..
+++

DeppityDawg

DeppityDawg

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2020, 09:23:06 PMRishi Sunak's air of competence and popularity is built almost entirely upon his giveaways. Will it survive his inevitable clawbacks re tax rises and spending cuts? That is far more open to question.

It is easy to be popular when giving stuff away. Much harder when taking it back.

I agree. People like getting "free money", they'll be less keen on the pay back side of the equation, but don't pretend any Labour/left wing government would have done any different, LL. They were advocating giving away money on an industrial scale long before this crisis was even a glint in the oppositions eye, so they'd have hardly have been less profligate. And tbh honest, how can you argue against a "public bail out" after the last (financial) crisis, when the taxpayer bailed out the very system that's now been forced to come to the peoples aid?

Rishi Sunak seems to possess a calmness that Johnson now lacks, and he's done his chances of being the next tory leader no harm. He has also stated on numerous occasions that there will be a payback - whether Middle England is listening and willing to pay is another argument

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2020, 08:32:01 PMThe complainers may well think they would have done it differently so maybe it's time to stand for election and find out what the hot seat really feels like.

Oh come on, Toots. This government tilts at a new fecking windmill every single day. They react to every last tiny little whisper of public opinion, its as if we are being governed over twitter or by the BBC. The whole bullshit line about being guided by the science was because Boris Johnson, despite all his fantasies about being some kind of modern day Churchill, is too fecking scared to take the actual responsibility of governing. His own advisors can't even follow their own fecking advice, which to be honest is hardly surprising, because it charges so rapidly that no one can hope to keep up with it. From the Nightingale white elephant, to the muddled and incoherent "herd immunity strategy" to the testing fiasco, its been a complete farce from day one. Its hard to imagine even Corbyn could have fecked it up more completely than this shower of fecking idiots. The only exception is Rishi Sunak, who alone seems to be the only competent member of the entire cabinet

No DD it's easy to say all that and of course there are those with an agenda who put it forward. I don't agree. I defy anyone to do substantially better in their position. With the society that we have they failed to appeal to their better nature because generally they don't have one. They didn't want to lockdown and even now people won't distance. Some societies will take orders/instruction. The Swedes for a start are more socially minded than many of us, and some countries simply do as they are told. We don't, only those of us at real risk. Years and years of Left wing culture has given  us a generation or more with masses with little understanding of anything much outside the Kardashians etc.

No it's not just a government fault. It is even more the fault of Health England who failed to even begin to appreciate what was heading our way.  Even more it is the fault of the fools in society who pretend it doesn't matter what they are asked to do for the sake of all of us.

srb7677

Rishi Sunak's air of competence and popularity is built almost entirely upon his giveaways. Will it survive his inevitable clawbacks re tax rises and spending cuts? That is far more open to question.

It is easy to be popular when giving stuff away. Much harder when taking it back.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

DeppityDawg

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on September 10, 2020, 08:33:32 PM
They are driving the bus.

That fills me with no confidence at all.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Good old

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2020, 08:04:03 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 10, 2020, 01:57:45 PMI cannot see how the present position of the country regarding  its ability to get back to something approaching normal
is all the fault of Liberals, or even remainers

I think you're confusing the definition of liberal - liberals aren't necessarily of the "liberal party" variety, or even left wing (although most are, and are remainers - I'm a remainer and even I fecking hate them). There are "liberal" Tories (Ken Clark or Theresa May variety) - liberal to me means those who always adopt the soft approach to everything - the least line of resistance

Don't get me wrong, the current government is ultimately responsible for our response to the Coronavirus crises. And they've royally fecked it up from the word go. Virtually everything they've touched has gone tits up

I don't confuse what a liberal is.  Or a remainer. I to was a remainer, not now . My actual point was pure and simple that this situation with COVID , is being handled by people that I don't regard as Liberal, or remainers. It's they that need to bite the bullet, and drive everyone on . If the economy is in danger of being wrecked it's in their hands. Adverse public opinion Liberal or otherwise has to be swerved. They are driving the bus.

Streetwalker

I dont know , a lot of countries that have seemingly done quite well with the covid are still getting dogs from the resident media.   Being a T@@@  and a raving knee taking liberal doesn't help his case
https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/diane-francis-trudeau-has-bungled-canadas-covid-19-response

T00ts

Why is the assumption that everything this government touches is useless? Why all the moaning all the time? It's the easiest thing in the world to sit back and criticise. Hind sight is great isn't it? If we were in the hot seat I suspect we would have exactly the same problems as those currently trying to make headway. They are no doubt bombarded with umpteen 'experts' in every field, all pushing their own agendas, science, theories then there are the lobbyists with their agendas, profit warnings, threats of the end of work as we know it, while all the time losing people to self isolation or worse.

Why can't they be cut some slack? The choices were, Jeremy Hunt who has admitted he reckons he dodged a bullet, Corbyn who the country threw out or BJ who let's face it drew the short straw. On top of that he has experienced the severity of the illness and I believe it seriously scared him. That must colour his decisions for the country. I do accept that BJ has lost his edge since he was ill. It hardly deserves cruel jibes from the peanut gallery.

Yes his private life dismays many and says a lot about him in all sorts of ways, but who are we to judge and it didn't stop him getting the leadership or the election? If our circumstances were the same we might find ourselves in a similar position. It was generally thought that he made a good mayor of London - they voted him in twice, something they may well not do with the current incumbent. They were panicked into a complete shut down perhaps, but at the time the science was not producing the results they needed.

The complainers may well think they would have done it differently so maybe it's time to stand for election and find out what the hot seat really feels like.