Arrested for praying

Started by Barry, November 01, 2019, 08:43:30 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3583 time=1572694931 user_id=89
The ship managed to dock in Vigo (eventually,) and due to the damage to the ship we were taken to a military airfield and flown back to the UK by chartered aircraft.

(A number of cabins has been flooded, our one just got a bit wet.)

Apparently to carry more passengers on the ship effectively had had 1/2 a deck added adding 2000 tonnes to the weight of the ship and effecting the stability.

Moral of the story do a thorough check of a cruise ships age, history, where it is registered and any structural modifications before you buy a ticket.

(Also if the tickets are cheap there is a reason.)

Yes one way tickets tend to be on the cheap side!  :roll: It sounds as if you were lucky. Still a story like that you can dine out on for years. Did you ask for recompense? Sounds as if they owed you even though it was cheap tickets.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3577 time=1572693219 user_id=54
So don't leave us hanging over the side. What happened in the end?

The ship managed to dock in Vigo (eventually,) and due to the damage to the ship we were taken to a military airfield and flown back to the UK by chartered aircraft.

(A number of cabins has been flooded, our one just got a bit wet.)

Apparently to carry more passengers on the ship effectively had had 1/2 a deck added adding 2000 tonnes to the weight of the ship and effecting the stability.

Moral of the story do a thorough check of a cruise ships age, history, where it is registered and any structural modifications before you buy a ticket.

(Also if the tickets are cheap there is a reason.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3576 time=1572692645 user_id=89
The situation got so bad as the ship entered the Bay of Biscay, (Or at least tried to,) The captain changed course during which the shop heeled over "hanging in the ballast," the bow was damaged, and the stern mooring lines came uncoiled and trailed behind the ship, and several lifeboats were washed away.

It got to the stage when I thought we were going to die, I used my credit card in the satellite phone on the ship.

I made a phone call to the then Lizard Lifeboat Coxswain to tell him the situation so at least a professional would know the situation if the ship was lost.

So don't leave us hanging over the side. What happened in the end?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3575 time=1572692006 user_id=54:D

The situation got so bad as the ship entered the Bay of Biscay, (Or at least tried to,) The captain changed course during which the shop heeled over "hanging in the ballast," the bow was damaged, and the stern mooring lines came uncoiled and trailed behind the ship, and several lifeboats were washed away.

It got to the stage when I thought we were going to die, I used my credit card in the satellite phone on the ship.

I made a phone call to the then Lizard Lifeboat Coxswain to tell him the situation so at least a professional would know the situation if the ship was lost.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3574 time=1572691567 user_id=89
Well, people can pray in the midst of dire situations beyond their control or when they are fear for their lives. This can be in a crowded situation.

(My wife and I were about to board a cruise ship and one of the crew was on his knees on the quayside praying. He had seen the weather forecast we hadn't.)

Had I known what was going to happen over the next 24 hours, I would have got religion as well.

:D

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3553 time=1572685487 user_id=54
 Praying is a quiet thing surely. We can pray without anyone watching us even knowing. It is something between ourselves and God.

Well, people can pray in the midst of dire situations beyond their control or when they are fear for their lives. This can be in a crowded situation.

(My wife and I were about to board a cruise ship and one of the crew was on his knees on the quayside praying. He had seen the weather forecast we hadn't.)

Had I known what was going to happen over the next 24 hours, I would have got religion as well.

Barry

You make thoughtful points, T00ts. Yes, people can pray silently, but how would anyone know they were doing so? OK, they might kneel, put hands together, close eyes, so that could make a point.

However, if they are preaching, rather than praying, it becomes a different matter and the law of exclusion for that area is then being breached. I do suspect that those prayers were becoming a sermon, (No previous footage to judge it), and the police removed him and detained him to take away the problem, even though no charges will be pursued.

It does call into question how a court can ban such an expression of faith in the streets. Would they act against other faiths in the same way?

I suppose that they would.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=3505 time=1572641010 user_id=51
A Christian man, in a wheelchair, has been arrested and prosecuted for peacefully praying for unborn children and their parents outside an abortion clinic on a quiet London street.

After refusing to stop praying, he was carried by his arms and legs by four police officers, put in a riot van and then spent eight hours in a cell before being released on bail.

As a result, Christian Hacking (29) has become the first person in modern times to be arrested and prosecuted in the UK for praying.

The good news is that charges have now been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service due to there being]

Christian, who needs a wheelchair after breaking his back in a climbing accident, was arrested by police on 8 August 2019 for allegedly failing to comply with a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) outside of Marie Stopes abortion clinic on Mattock Lane, Ealing.

Supported by the Christian Legal Centre, Christian, the son of an hereditary peer, pleaded 'not guilty', and was set to go on trial on 5 November 2019 at Uxbridge Magistrates Court.

The PSPO, put in place by Ealing Council in April 2018, was the first buffer zone surrounding an abortion clinic to be introduced in the UK. The exclusion zone, upheld by the Court of Appeal in October 2019, prohibits a range of activities within 100m of the clinic and even outlaws prayer. It states] in any act of approval/disapproval or attempted act of approval/disapproval, with respect to issues related to abortion services, by any means. This includes but is not limited to graphic, verbal or written means, prayer or counselling.'

What a disgrace when an innocent paraplegic is arrested for praying in public in England, a Christian country.

It seems harsh on the face of it but there are a couple of things that make me think slightly differently. Praying is a quiet thing surely. We can pray without anyone watching us even knowing. It is something between ourselves and God. Is it perhaps true that this chap was in an exclusion zone which he knew about and making a very obvious show of his disapproval?  Wasn't he being judgemental in a way that Christ asks us not to be? He was breaking a law and God is not a tool to be used for us to make a great show or gain notoriety/fame.

I am reminded of Matthew 23 5 about the Pharisees showing off their piety for all to see when our genuine conversations with God are far more discreet.

papasmurf

Not just for praying:-

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/met-apologises-for-failing-to-consult-disabled-advisers-over-xr-protests/">https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/m ... -protests/">https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/met-apologises-for-failing-to-consult-disabled-advisers-over-xr-protests/

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/kicked-punched-knocked-unconscious-tipped-out-of-wheelchairs-campaigners-describe-repeated-police-targeting-of-disabled-anti-fracking-protesters/">https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/k ... rotesters/">https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/kicked-punched-knocked-unconscious-tipped-out-of-wheelchairs-campaigners-describe-repeated-police-targeting-of-disabled-anti-fracking-protesters/

Barry

A Christian man, in a wheelchair, has been arrested and prosecuted for peacefully praying for unborn children and their parents outside an abortion clinic on a quiet London street.

After refusing to stop praying, he was carried by his arms and legs by four police officers, put in a riot van and then spent eight hours in a cell before being released on bail.

As a result, Christian Hacking (29) has become the first person in modern times to be arrested and prosecuted in the UK for praying.

The good news is that charges have now been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service due to there being]

Christian, who needs a wheelchair after breaking his back in a climbing accident, was arrested by police on 8 August 2019 for allegedly failing to comply with a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) outside of Marie Stopes abortion clinic on Mattock Lane, Ealing.

Supported by the Christian Legal Centre, Christian, the son of an hereditary peer, pleaded 'not guilty', and was set to go on trial on 5 November 2019 at Uxbridge Magistrates Court.

The PSPO, put in place by Ealing Council in April 2018, was the first buffer zone surrounding an abortion clinic to be introduced in the UK. The exclusion zone, upheld by the Court of Appeal in October 2019, prohibits a range of activities within 100m of the clinic and even outlaws prayer. It states] in any act of approval/disapproval or attempted act of approval/disapproval, with respect to issues related to abortion services, by any means. This includes but is not limited to graphic, verbal or written means, prayer or counselling.'

What a disgrace when an innocent paraplegic is arrested for praying in public in England, a Christian country.
† The end is nigh †