A learning thread?

Started by Baron von Lotsov, November 01, 2019, 09:04:56 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=5312 time=1573477390 user_id=98
"video unavailable" Baron.

Sorry, I followed the forum admin's advice and the British engineering did it again. This is why we need this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxRF5ag27A">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxRF5ag27A

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=5312 time=1573477390 user_id=98
It's a good idea, maybe we could do with a second reference library type thread where agreed-upon resources for facts and documents and stuff can be posted?

I don't know what agreed-upon resources means. My view is British education is dumbed down and i want to put up some reliable sources. Bjarne Stroustrup is the best you will every get for teaching you about computer languages. So he is here to set the example, and I will find others who i approve of as well on other subjects.

This is hit and miss. If someone can't understand it, then I suggest, don't wet your nappies, because there will be someone else out there who sees the light, and that's what we are trying to do. If this country is to prosper we must all go back to school and learn what we need, and in a way which is accurate. I'm being very careful not to post bullshittters here. Only quality. Others are welcome to post high quality educational material as well.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Borg Refinery

"video unavailable" Baron.

It's a good idea, maybe we could do with a second reference library type thread where agreed-upon resources for facts and documents and stuff can be posted?
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=3609 time=1572705353 user_id=51
I'm trying to figure out why there has been no reply to this thread, but as I have been called stupid in thinly veiled comments in other threads, that could be why I can't!

Because it is too long and too esoteric for most people.  A the age of 71 it has become obvious to me much of what I was taught at school was wrong.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Right, I've noticed there isn't too much interest, but what the heck. I'm going by the idea here that if you put good stuff up then the people will come.

I don't want to spam you with a load of crap, so i'll only stick ones up with the BvL gold star seal of approval.

This guy being interviewed is Bjarne Stroustrup and in my view the top expert in computer languages. British industry of course gets it all wrong, so for the sake of British industry, if you do this stuff, here is the masterclass. Of course if you learn something you can always read/listen to more of him. He's written some books and so forth.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3639 time=1572717360 user_id=89
I don't want to give them a problem to solve merely advice on how to solve it myself.

I understand. I was just clarifying what I meant by intelligence. If someone can solve it themselves then they would be able to show you how it works so you can solve it yourself.

This is basically what we are on about here. Good learning material will teach you the concepts behind it.

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=3627 time=1572712495 user_id=74
Yes and if you ever do meet someone who is genuinely very smart, like they can solve any problem you give them to do, then you will notice they keep it under their hat, since intelligence causes offence.

A lot of British science lectures are extremely dumbed down to the point of useless, so I often have to learn from other nations, like the Chinese, the Japanese, the Germans, the Indians and so on. I find it quite difficult understanding the Indian accent a lot of the time, but even the Indians have moved into much more sophisticated territory and are worth listening to. It's this country where the problem lies.

Also nor did it help having that Lawful idiot give the impression anyone interested in science is a loon. The loons are those who eschew all knowledge.

I don't want to give them a problem to solve merely advice on how to solve it myself.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3624 time=1572710382 user_id=89
Quite, the problem I get, (and it is getting worse,) when I do need an expert to help me with something, they are getting as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns.

Yes and if you ever do meet someone who is genuinely very smart, like they can solve any problem you give them to do, then you will notice they keep it under their hat, since intelligence causes offence.

A lot of British science lectures are extremely dumbed down to the point of useless, so I often have to learn from other nations, like the Chinese, the Japanese, the Germans, the Indians and so on. I find it quite difficult understanding the Indian accent a lot of the time, but even the Indians have moved into much more sophisticated territory and are worth listening to. It's this country where the problem lies.

Also nor did it help having that Lawful idiot give the impression anyone interested in science is a loon. The loons are those who eschew all knowledge.

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=3619 time=1572709411 user_id=74
 The way you learn is by listening to someone who knows more than you do in a particular subject, but this old forum had people who hated those who knew more than they did! Like a kind of Luddites' rebellion.

Quite, the problem I get, (and it is getting worse,) when I do need an expert to help me with something, they are getting as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns.

Baron von Lotsov

Opinions though do not teach you anything and nor do the newspapers either or the BBC. However there are lots of resources which do. I often use them myself and can stick a load of links up to good ones, but when I tried this on a different forum the inmates started to freak out. They thought I was being pretentious, but I was not. I was just my normal self getting into all manner of fascinating science, but it was like too much.

However, if there are people on here like me, and like anything which we have not seen before in the sciences then that would be great. The way you learn is by listening to someone who knows more than you do in a particular subject, but this old forum had people who hated those who knew more than they did! Like a kind of Luddites' rebellion.

Barry

I'm trying to figure out why there has been no reply to this thread, but as I have been called stupid in thinly veiled comments in other threads, that could be why I can't!

I have learnt so much from the old political forum as I hope to learn from this one, too.

We all are still on a learning curve and we all enjoy the opportunities to get our opinions and ideas out onto the Internet. It's great to interact with others in this way and hear what they have to offer.

On the other hand, there are those with an unteachable spirit and, sadly, for them it would be like casting pearls to swine.
† The end is nigh †

Baron von Lotsov

The question mark is for two reasons. Firstly it related to those with a question mark in their minds, which is the opposite of the lightbulb thing. Secondly it is asking you, is this a good idea or not.

We all went to school and learnt so much, but to there in the world there is much more to learn, and quite a lot of educational resources online. I often find some good lectures on a topic on Youtube, and there are documentaries as well. Unfortunately a great deal of this stuff that purports to be educational contains very little knowledge, like the classic American "hey wow - isn't this huge" type of documentary. It's often called infotainment, but lacks the info. Anyhow not all is lost because there are some excellent resources to learn things by. It's a good thing to do it in chunks because the mind only has a limited attention span, and you do get videos that do just that. They select a topic and give you a good grounding in it so you understand it.

So I thought, perhaps we could put a thread together where people have come across good lectures and other educational programmes which give you an excellent insight into an interesting bit of education. Like say if you wanted to learn about the Roman Empire, you do get some very interesting lectures, or indeed any subject, bar politics and nonsense. The way to judge if it is educational is to watch it and then ask yourself how much do you know that you did not know before. If it is good, it would be worth sharing on a thread.

I know some people though suffer from an allergy to learning and complain bitterly if it taxes their mind too far. So if this is the prevalent position then we might as well not bother. My question is which way does it balance? Learning thread good or learning thread bad? If you already have a load of great educational videos/links you would like to share then please fire away.