Main Menu

Track and trace fail

Started by Barry, September 11, 2020, 05:19:25 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
Get an iPhone. I can only assume they expect any sentient being to have a smart phone 😂.
No, they won't work either.

Well, not at The Borderer Malpas Rd, or the Pontypool Harvester on the A4042.  I watched the bloke in front of us fail ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 11, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
We went to a "Harvester" pub a couple of nights back and they asked me to scan a QR code on the bar area to register on their website.
I scanned the code but the phone didn't get a website from it. The guy on the bar told me I was doing it wrong so I gave him my phone and he couldn't do it either.
I asked him for the web address so I could enter it manually on the phone but he didn't know it.
So we sat and had a couple of drinks and left.

We are regular visitors at two near us where the manager and most of the staff know us on sight
If you had to book your table online, which we had to, Mitchell and Butler are already in posession of all relevant information to comply with the government requirements and there is no need to do anything.

I know this because I rocked up with a Nokia nk702 (look it up) so that I could look the manager in the face and say "how" when they said "please scan the QR code". Alas as I said they know me, and they know I don't bring a smartphone when I rock up there. Which is why the manager who met us as as we arrived said "Ah yes, john, i bet you were waiting for me to ask you to scan the qr code, but the reality is because you booked online we already have all we need for the covid crap" and i quote verbatim
Out of amusement, when the new regs came in requiring me to restrict myself to four people (which is not actually the law, more than four from the same household can be seated at the same table, page 2 of the regs is explicit on this - and in any case Melissa is ten so doesn't count) I booked a table for five and we used sarahs phone to scan the qr code.
It failed to scan the first time, and the second time it took us to a google play page inviting us to load intuit quickbooks.
The manager's face - and utterances - would make a US marine gunnery sergeant blush ..
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I understand that the track and trace has been allocated 22 BILLION for a year, which is equal to 20% of the current NHS budget.
What is the point of contact tracing an endemic virus in a pandemic?

That money could pay an awful lot of people sick pay, and treat people in hospital who are sick.
Test, track and trace does not save enough lives to spend 22 million on it. It seems to be some sort of government vanity project from an out of control PM and health minister.
Hancock was a minnow when he took on the health secretary's job and has not grown or stepped up since being thrown in at the deep end. A minnow that can't swim.

Sack him.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

We now have a situation in the UK where the kids are back at school and parents are managing to work uninterrupted from home or wherever they can.
Well, the children have got the usual coughs and colds that go around at the beginning of term in the autumn and the teachers say they could have Covid so have to be tested.

Our Grandson is one of these, the whole family have had a bit of a sore throat and cold but they won't let him back to school until he's had a negative test. So it was an hour's drive for Mum and Dad to the south coast for a 1.30pm test and us grandparents had to look after his sister while it took place.

He COULD have Covid, and if so we'll have to self imprison for days. It's not that dangerous to healthy white people, so I prefer to take my chance rather than be nannied by the GOV.UK. I'm sick of it all. The Swedes had the best idea.

Get on with your lives as a life without risk does not exist and isn't worth living.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 11, 2020, 09:17:09 PM

Paper and pencil would be sufficient.

Quite, Or perhaps we should go back to the old system of "here is my card."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

I did wonder whether I was talking to bots. ;)
+++

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 11, 2020, 10:27:44 PM

Get an iPhone. I can only assume they expect any sentient being to have a smart phone 😂.
Oi! No need to be rude about my Samsung A20E. It has feelings you know!  :)

Not many 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Oi! No need to be rude about my Samsung A20E. It has feelings you know!  :)
† The end is nigh †

Nick

We went to a "Harvester" pub a couple of nights back and they asked me to scan a QR code on the bar area to register on their website.
I scanned the code but the phone didn't get a website from it. The guy on the bar told me I was doing it wrong so I gave him my phone and he couldn't do it either.
I asked him for the web address so I could enter it manually on the phone but he didn't know it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 11, 2020, 05:22:50 PMI don't own a device capable of doing that anyway.
Paper and pencil would be sufficient. Name and address, email or phone number is all that's required. Like digital data, it shouldn't be used for marketing communication and must be destroyed after 21 days...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/venues-required-by-law-to-record-contact-details
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 11, 2020, 05:22:50 PM

I don't own a device capable of doing that anyway.
Me neither. And any establishment that insists upon it will have to forego my custom.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 11, 2020, 05:22:50 PM

No, nor did I. But I have just installed a programme which fixes it. Relying on technology not everyone has is much worse than relying on a pen and a piece of paper with "Barry and 07123 456 789" written on it.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †