Scottish labour leader survives backstabbling to fight another day

Started by Thomas, September 12, 2020, 02:17:53 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2020, 03:11:47 PM
So the Blairite wing have backed off from a direct challenge? Can't pretend to know what lies behind that decision. Are they actually becoming aware that Blairism lost Labour the progressive vote in Scotland? Somehow I actually doubt that, they mostly lack the humility to see themselves as in any way part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

saying blairism lost the " progressive vote in scotland" is extremely simplistic in my opinion.

Labour had stood for 100 years telling scots to vote for them to gain home rule , and then always backing away from it at the last minute. Remember it was the council of europe who forced the uk government  ot implement devolution , it originally landed on john majors lap , and then blair had to deal with it when major was voted out. Balir and labour said "it was a damm nuisance" ( devolution) despite labour living off the back of the home rule vote for decades.

So i dont agree wiht youhere.

I once voted labour only for home rule , and it was that simple. I have always supported scot indy , and labour were merely the only vehicle available for many of us at one time.

That time is long gone now.

As for ricky leaopard , his days are numbered . Whatever reason starmer has told scot labour to back off from leopard i dont know , but starmer himself has said he doubts leopards ability to mount a challenge in scotland and wants rid of him.

So i think it merely a stay of exectuion.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 12, 2020, 03:09:25 PM
Kezia Dugdale is long gone it seems... I recall jaydee laying into her elsewhere, now there's an SNPer with fire in his words, hard to argue against..

jaydee is a tory voting independence supporter dyno. ;)

seriously.

srb7677

So the Blairite wing have backed off from a direct challenge? Can't pretend to know what lies behind that decision. Are they actually becoming aware that Blairism lost Labour the progressive vote in Scotland? Somehow I actually doubt that, they mostly lack the humility to see themselves as in any way part of the problem instead of part of the solution.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

Kezia Dugdale is long gone it seems... I recall jaydee laying into her elsewhere, now there's an SNPer with fire in his words, hard to argue against..
+++

Thomas

QuoteNo confidence vote in Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard withdrawn

QuoteA motion of no confidence in the Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard has been withdrawn.
Mr Leonard had been expected to face a vote at a meeting of the party's governing body on Saturday.
The motion was submitted after four Labour MSPs called for his resignation last week, citing poor election results and polling under his command.
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Leonard said it was time to end "internal plotting".
And he called for "unity not division" within the party.
"It's time for Scottish Labour to stand together and to stand with the Scottish people at a time when risks caused by pandemic are rising again and when the economy is on the edge of a deep recession with jobs and livelihoods in peril," he said.
"There must be an end to the internal plotting and we must unite to hold the Scottish government to account and to offer a real alternative.
"I firmly believe that I am the best person to lead us into next year's elections with a plan for jobs and real economic and social transformation which I know is shared by Keir Starmer.
"I have listened to the concerns expressed about me, I will treat those with respect and humility, and I will fight with every ounce of my being to improve the fortunes of the party in the run up to next year's election."

Richard Leonard: Who is the Scottish Labour leader?

The motion was withdrawn after being discussed at the the party's Scottish Executive Committee (SEC).

https://archive.vn/Evfp8