Extreme poverty ‘will double by Christmas’ in UK because of Covid-19

Started by Dynamis, September 14, 2020, 09:47:37 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 16, 2020, 06:54:06 PM

I don't want it to turn into that, I do love England indeed and care about so many people, and I guess it just upsets me to see things turn out like this is all.

Frankly, I don't wonder the (Tory) MP where I live appears to have gone into hiding. He has not got the excuse he does not know the damage his government has done and is doing. He runs charity for vulnerable adults, which has a "soup kitchen" and a food bank in the same premises.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 16, 2020, 03:47:46 PM

Cornwall is almost the most deprived part of England isn't it, I think.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-second-poorest-region-northern-1977843.amp

It is far worse than that article now which dates from 2018.
It is also about to get a lot worse.

Well as furious recriminations go, a lot of people are very angry and mass rioting is predicted shortly if things get any worse. And you'll get folks with shotguns coming after certain people with shotguns if things get any worse than that......

It would be like America, just saying.

I don't want it to turn into that, I do love England indeed and care about so many people, and I guess it just upsets me to see things turn out like this is all.
+++

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2020, 03:43:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, I didn't realise that all 20 of the families were close to you. You must live in a highly deprived area.

That is crass and frankly offensive comment about what is a very serious subject.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2020, 03:43:45 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2020, 02:08:24 PM
3. Referring to the topic title, it may be true, because there is very little extreme poverty in the UK, so it might increase from 10 to 20 families.
I could easily find 20 families in extreme poverty within under a mile of my home.
I'm sorry to hear that, I didn't realise that all 20 of the families were close to you. You must live in a highly deprived area.

Cornwall is almost the most deprived part of England isn't it, I think.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-second-poorest-region-northern-1977843.amp

+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 15, 2020, 12:36:29 PM
I put it all down to retrograde Mars. It promised aggression and general disagreement and it all seems to have landed o this forum. :'(

Quote from: HDQQ on September 15, 2020, 11:57:32 AM
Hysterical anger and apoplectic rage seems to be thriving on here even without my presence as a punchbag!

Yeah what they're saying, it'd be nice if we could avoid driving away posters like toots, HDQQ and possibly others from threads and quit the furious recriminations.
+++

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 03:05:54 PM
3. Referring to the topic title, it may be true, because there is very little extreme poverty in the UK, so it might increase from 10 to 20 families.
I could easily find 20 families in extreme poverty within under a mile of my home.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I suggest removing your head from out of your fundamental orifice you might then see the light.
Even the current callous government has had to admit it is a high number.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 09:57:39 AM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 16, 2020, 09:52:19 AM

So, can you tell me how you are quantifying this comment?

The second link is the government's own data. That quantifies the problem, with the page I suggested you look at.
You must live very sheltered from the now very obvious signs of poverty and depravation.
1. You are quoting DD's reply to SRB which had nothing to  do with you. That is surely against forum protocol which you often go on about.

2. In that article which I read page 3, do you think everyone should have above average pay? :)
There is already a minimum wage.

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 05:04:58 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on September 14, 2020, 04:59:17 PM
Did you not have a claim up on Rishis covid payments Nick ?

I assume you mean Rishis Dishes?

Personally no, but on business trips I eat out all the time. This gets expensed back to who ever I'm contracting for so I don't benefit whether it's £10 or £20.

Nice try though 😂

I wasnt trying to trip you up Nick it was a genuine question  given the raft of handouts that was going on   

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2020, 10:35:28 AM

No. Wrong, wrong and thrice wrong. EVERYONE who fell into the category found out very quickly within a fortnight of trying to apply.

Not wrong at all, that is my point as well and it is still happening except now the built in delay is five weeks and often a lot more. With a lot of people falling through the big holes the Tories hostile environment has put into the net.

No, you are wrong.

You suggest there is a steady / growing stream of people "finding out" that the self employed and ltdco company directors - on whose innovation and resources the tories depend for GDP and for donations - are thrown to the wolves.

But "more and more people" have NOT found out "since may"

Every one of them found out the moment they tried to apply for assistance or the moment they read their communication from the FSB letting them know how much they were not part of the plan.

Nobody has "only just tried to get help". Thjey all found out months ago.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2020, 10:35:28 AM

No. Wrong, wrong and thrice wrong. EVERYONE who fell into the category found out very quickly within a fortnight of trying to apply.

Not wrong at all, that is my point as well and it is still happening except now the built in delay is five weeks and often a lot more. With a lot of people falling through the big holes the Tories hostile environment has put into the net.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 10:22:12 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2020, 10:19:58 AM

My experience of state support for those other than non-director employees of an employer is that such support does not exist.

As more and more people since May 2010 are finding out.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2020, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2020, 10:07:22 AM
As I have pointed out a couple of times, I was poorer under Labour than i ever was under the Tories.

You are very lucky, I never got back to a pre Thatcher equivalent income by a very long way.

Oh I never managed my pre-thatcher disposable income in real terms either. But I got married in the third year of her first term and that rather did for my disposable income

My point was that my ability to make a living from the skills i have has flourished far more under the conservatives than it ever did with Labour controlling the economy and business. 

I reserve the greater part of my anger for those areas of government whose ineptitude in administration is the direct result of every single call upon the food banks in this area for years. Labour controlled councils and a Labour controlled Assembly are horses arses when it comes to sorting out the correct routing of legal financial support for those pronounced in need and it it those delays and fuckups that every food bank manager tells every press reporter every time they ask whish cause the demand for their help.

That anger which remains is largely directed at those whose economic policies have allowed the cost of housing to spiral out of control compared to the cost of wahes and the ability of those who desire to work to benefit from that desire.  Housing boom and bust cycles have occurred under tory and labour alike, but the most dysfunctional such was Brown's cat arse trophy of a crash that began at the end of his chancellorship. The next biggest debacle was of course lawson's shutdown of MIRAS not overnight but after a six month notice period gicing the market time to balloon before busrsting and causing negative equity

Yes, my eldest in common with everyone else in her street wandered in to the local food bank (NOT a trussel trust one) when the labour council fucked up her housing subsidy and they all got eviction notices so she spent every last penny paying her rent. But she tires of the pyjama wearing chavs outside the school posting crap on arse book outing her as able to afford BBO ballet leotards for Melissa to take the BBO exams and term club fees and costume costs for her stage performances. Because they post such from their iphone 10's with a fag in their gob. She has a secondhand samsung, and a part time job. It is the labour party who control the sector in which she works and it is they who prevent her from having a full time one.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2020, 10:19:58 AM

My experience of state support for those other than non-director employees of an employer is that such support does not exist.

As more and more people since May 2010 are finding out.