Extreme poverty ‘will double by Christmas’ in UK because of Covid-19

Started by Dynamis, September 14, 2020, 09:47:37 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2020, 05:31:30 PM

As you already know, that defines relative poverty, which is not extreme poverty. But it suits your dishonest style of debating.

You couldn't be bothered to read it all then?  The dishonesty is on your part.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 04:02:01 PM

How do you know what I've benefited from or need in the future. Typical post where you state facts according to the world of Smurf.

There is no need to make personal attacks. It shows you can't debate.

You have never used the NHS? You didn't go to school? The thing is you don't know if you are going to suffer a life changing incident, and need the welfare state.
What personal attack? If you think that is a personal attack, you are not a fit person to go on a forum. Robust debate is perhaps not for you.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 14, 2020, 05:15:31 PM**NO** privately fundable alternative

There is no such thing these days John. Even if it means a trip to the states.

The point being though, Pappy goes about telling who ever he likes what their personal situation is and what they can expect out of life.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 11:42:05 AM
Right the usual far right callous people have had their say.

Suggested reading but they won't bother, they prefer to remain in ignorance:-

https://www.jrf.org.uk/file/55656/download?token=n7Kh8ak1&filetype=full-report
As you already know, that defines relative poverty, which is not extreme poverty. But it suits your dishonest style of debating.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 14, 2020, 05:15:31 PM

It might get you too.

Quite, and it happens more often than people think. Two cases locally people who were against the welfare state, until they both got very nasty wasting away nasty type of diseases that take years to finish you off, they both needed the welfare state.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 04:56:19 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 04:28:52 PMYou have never used the NHS? You didn't go to school?

For all you know I could have been home schooled, gone to public school. I might have had private health care for the whole of my life. You don't know, but you still put out big sweeping statements and try and pass them off as fact.

I am sure you are right Nick, but maybe you could pretend to be dying of want and nationalism for Pappy's sake. It would mean so much to him.

I was thinking of popping down to the Lizard and dying on Pappy's doorstep by way of a Christmas present. My last words will be, "You are right Pappy, this is all the fault of the Tories..."

Then I shall die in the snow thinking, well shit, this is still better than Christmas with the daughter.

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 01:28:48 PMYou like nearly everyone else is only one life changing incident away from needing the welfare state.

No I work for my self, never had a penny from the state and never will.

Nick.

You may miss the point here.

All it took was one stupid allergic reaction combined with one fucking incompetent health service for which there was **NO** privately fundable alternative and I went from rather nicely funded thank you to five quid away from being reposessed over a four year period waiting for the operation those bloody give six quid a month adverts hand out to half the indian subcontinent.

Yes it took several YEARS of being unable to work to the best of my ability and a year of not being able to work at all to do it, but it got me in the end.

It's taken years to claw my way back and if it were down to me a lot of people would have been in beds next to boris and I'd have ensured their life support malfunctioned.

I wasn't allowed to have a penny from the fucking state because when I was too blind to fill in the online forms the bastards at the job centre laughed at me.

It might get you too.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 14, 2020, 12:34:10 PM

The whole point of my demand for a definition was to expose the language in the opening post, deliberately chosen to suggest the streets of Britain will be filled with kids looking like biafrans,

Frankly if the government does nothing to address it's hostile environment towards poor and vulnerable people I would not rule that out.

And that is why there is no point discussing this matter with you.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 14, 2020, 04:59:17 PM
Did you not have a claim up on Rishis covid payments Nick ?

I assume you mean Rishis Dishes?

Personally no, but on business trips I eat out all the time. This gets expensed back to who ever I'm contracting for so I don't benefit whether it's £10 or £20.

Nice try though 😂

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 01:28:48 PMYou like nearly everyone else is only one life changing incident away from needing the welfare state.

No I work for my self, never had a penny from the state and never will.

Did you not have a claim up on Rishis covid payments Nick ?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2020, 04:28:52 PMYou have never used the NHS? You didn't go to school?

For all you know I could have been home schooled, gone to public school. I might have had private health care for the whole of my life. You don't know, but you still put out big sweeping statements and try and pass them off as fact.

QuoteYou have  benefitted from the welfare state since you were conceived.

Exactly the same as your claim nobody is defrauding benefits and swinging the lead. You just don't know, or won't accept it.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on September 14, 2020, 04:27:36 PM

There are two theories.

The first is that London suck the life blood out of the north so that soft southerners could loll on their beds of ease.

The second is that London was the place that provided the capital and found the markets for the industrialisation of northern England.

The second theory is probably more accurate, but the first more fun.

As you know borkie , im a bit of a history buff , and a big fan of people like professor geoffrey barrow.

The good professor was an expert on medieval scotland , and especially the norman french.

He often wrote about the period between the 11th century to the 15th , and how the scottish liked nothing more than a good jolly over the border to rape pillage and loot. Ranging as far south as york , he remarked on why the scots never conquered northern england. He said the weather was often worse than scotland , the women ugly , and half the time the poor bastards barely had a pittance to give to the scots in tribute.

Contrast that to the weather much further south  , the beautifull lassies and the wealth in and around london.

Fast forward to the union of the crowns , and james the saxth remarked how london was the centre of englands universe.

So it seems not a lot has really changed over the centuries .

I member one of my wifes family telling me one year ,"by feck its feckin grim up north". He hadnt really been any further north than norwich right enough , and didnt know the difference between kings lynn and newcastle.

Still there could be a wee bit in your first theory.

They supply the food and keep the lights on and give you drinking water , and you supply the dole money , everyones a winner.

Its the same as us in glasgow wae they cants in aberdeen. Until a glaswegian took the toilet up to the sheepshaggers about 70 years ago , they were still shitting in ditches , and running around wae dirty necks.

Now the cheeky cants have went all up market wae the black gold , they look down on us.

...and dont get me started on those chavvi bastards fae edinburgh.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 02:38:19 PM

Says the person who NEVER makes personal insults. Some people prefer to stand on their own 2 feet, clearly you're not one of them.

I only make personal insults after someone attacks me.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2020, 04:02:01 PM

How do you know what I've benefited from or need in the future. Typical post where you state facts according to the world of Smurf.

There is no need to make personal attacks. It shows you can't debate.

You have never used the NHS? You didn't go to school? The thing is you don't know if you are going to suffer a life changing incident, and need the welfare state.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on September 14, 2020, 04:16:57 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 14, 2020, 02:44:00 PM

Most of all, the north needs revitalizing and the grossly unfair over concentration of both wealth and power in London and the SE need to be better spread out through the country.

Anyway, that's just for starters, I'm so tired out right now I can barely think.  :D

The concentration of wealth and power has always been around london since year dot in England.

After the best part of a thousand years , why do you think this is going to change?

We hear about "revitalising the north "( of england) every election from memory , and it never happens. Thats under both labour and tory , brit left right and centre.

You have to ask yourself why this is.

There are two theories.

The first is that London suck the life blood out of the north so that soft southerners could loll on their beds of ease.

The second is that London was the place that provided the capital and found the markets for the industrialisation of northern England.

The second theory is probably more accurate, but the first more fun.
Algerie Francais !