The Internal market bill

Started by T00ts, September 15, 2020, 01:16:05 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2020, 11:05:55 AM
The special relationship is Trump tells Bojo-The-Clown to jump and  Bojo-The-Clown asks how high.
Why people think the "Irish problem" is a small one frankly beggars belief. It was always going to be the big sticking point unless there is a free trade agreement between Britain and the EU.  Putting a physical border across the Island of Ireland and breaking the treaty is a very big problem not a tiny one.

Why people think that the UK remaining in the common fisheries policy and having any arbitration of a 'free trade deal ' referred to the European court of Justice is a small matter quite frankly beggars belief .  The EU seem to think we will be some sort of associate members ,they had best think again .

The UK will not break the Good Friday agreement by putting up a border , its practically impossible to do so anyway and there has been no mention or suggestion that the UK is pulling  out of the common travel area deal either . So whos going to put up a border ?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 17, 2020, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2020, 11:05:55 AMThe special relationship is Trump tells Bojo-The-Clown to jump and  Bojo-The-Clown asks how high.
Why people think the "Irish problem" is a small one frankly beggars belief. It was always going to be the big sticking point unless there is a free trade agreement between Britain and the EU.  Putting a physical border across the Island of Ireland and breaking the treaty is a very big problem not a tiny one.

They just don't get it, and what's also a massive show stopper is the level playing field & State Aid, no way the EU is going to allow a country on its doorstep have the ability to reduce production standards, employment protections or Aid to cripple an EU business. And this shouldn't be news, the UK is looking to sign a trade deal with Japan (exports to the EU 274b and Japan 13.5b) yet your signing up to more stringent state aid restrictions, but sure JOhnson can always introduce a bill and change all that, life is all good for a new UK.
Well according to you, you are running the EU and the US, what could possibly go wrong. Not letting you run the UK, seems to be causing you pain.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2020, 11:05:55 AMThe special relationship is Trump tells Bojo-The-Clown to jump and  Bojo-The-Clown asks how high.

They just don't get it, and what's also a massive show stopper is the level playing field & State Aid, no way the EU is going to allow a country on its doorstep have the ability to reduce production standards, employment protections or Aid to cripple an EU business. And this shouldn't be news, the UK is looking to sign a trade deal with Japan (exports to the EU 274b and Japan 13.5b) yet your signing up to more stringent state aid restrictions, but sure JOhnson can always introduce a bill and change all that, life is all good for a new UK.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on September 17, 2020, 10:59:29 AM
I think JOhnson/Rabb thought the special relationship would bring the USA around, think again.

The special relationship is Trump tells Bojo-The-Clown to jump and  Bojo-The-Clown asks how high.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:18:32 AMJoe Biden?
Come on to f**k gerry.
When obama told the english not to vote to leave the eu , he had people running to the voting booth to vote leave.

The UK are looking for a USA trade deal, that wouldn't solve UK problems but it would help. With Pelosi and Biden telling Rabb in so many words that he's full of sh1t and they know who's breaking the WA. Then politicians sent a letter to Boris, telling him break the GFA and there's no USA deal. I think JOhnson/Rabb thought the special relationship would bring the USA around, think again.
https://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-us-uk-trade-deal-5205904-Sep2020/

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 17, 2020, 10:36:08 AM
The UK really isn't that important or relevant to the EU.

Gerry - You keep saying this or words to this effect but has it not yet occurred to you that in fact the EU doesn't see any country particularly important or relevant to the EU project. Ireland is being used to whip the UK. They have realised that the South is more interested in joining Ireland together than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if they only joined the EU (in the backrooms of power of course rather than on the streets) because that kept them in line with their ultimate goal. I am quite certain that this was the axe that Varadkar wielded while he had the EU ear. When we leave, poor little Ireland will be the poor relation left on the outskirts of oblivion of the EU territory and as political alignment grows your voice will be the least listened to. You might as well cut the island of Ireland across and sail away into the vicinity of the Med before you fall off the edge. Don't bore us with your fake EU allegiance. It is only a means to an end = reunification. Ireland is a mini player looking to the big boys to make themselves seem important. It is a false hope as time will tell.

Sheepy

Gerry you are ranting again. LOL

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:14:08 AMok Gerry , i take on board what you are saying , but unfortunately in the time i have been debating you  online, you have merely went around in circles in terms of your stance , while at every stage , you have lost the political argument in real life.
I have told you time and again , northern ireland getting its cake and eating it is causing the conservative government a massive headache for all the reason i have given previously.
I also told you that there is no way the 6 counties are going to keep the uk in the eu customs union ( or "a" customs union as the labour muppets would have it).
Johnson and his government will aim to try and fudge a middle way through  , but he knows fine well , with farage watching his every move , if he pisses off the english brexiters , then he and his party are in big big trouble.
I agree with everything above, bar the bit highlighted of course. :)

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:14:08 AMTo be honest there isnt really anything new to say , we are merely going over old ground we have went over for a number of years now , and the clock is ticking down on your position , hence why you seem to be getting increasingly desperate.
NO the clock is ticking down on the UK position, its left and is going round in circles in the EU harbour, at the end of the yr the UK will be kicked out of that, the EU will not do the UK any favours and if it takes 10yrs to then strike a trade deal then that's fine. The UK really isn't that important or relevant to the EU. But any future deals will be very cautiously agreed seen as though the UK mistankenly believes it can jst legislate it's way out of a legally binding contract.
Can you picture it, you take out a mtg and before your first repayment you tell the bank their interest rates are way too high and having to pay back at monthly intervals is just crazy, so because the bank is so unfair, your not paying back and your keeping the house. That's what the UK is suggesting.

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:14:08 AM15 weeks till the uk is finally out of the eu at the end of the transition period , without a deal in sight , and in about four weeks time we could see the WA completely ripped up .
If it comes down to the tories choosing between pissing off the eu and irish , or pising off the english electorate , then i think they are going to choose you. Just my opinion.
I think your right, but there are many MP's that understand the long repercussions of breaking an international treaty. I actually think Johnson does too, in my opinion he's trying to goad the EU into making threats to the UK, then he can blame a crash out on the EU and when the crap hits the fan next yr he'll try come to the rescue and get a trade deal, but the EU won't in any way entertain that. That's why the EU hasn't called off trade talks, the EU is going to sit back and let Johnson make the moves. If there's no bun throwing then that takes the wind from Johnson's sail.

In your scenario the UK is out in Jan, no trade deal, a broken legal contract and a border goes up in IRL, possibly bring back killings. Roll on 6 mths, 12 mths, 2 yrs. 5 yrs... The UK still doesn't have a trade deal. It's getting fined for breaking international law, possibly living with sanctions so it's export market (40% to EU and 20% to USA) is mostly trashed. LEt's see what that does to the opinion of the english electorate. Negioations restart and what's first on the agenda. 1. you owe us xyz for the costs associated with your actions 2. make the necessary changes in the UK to bring down the border in IRL. 3. So you want a FTA, here's the terms.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on September 17, 2020, 01:45:21 AMThe IRA lost their war militarily and formally declared NI part of the UK in the Good Friday Agreement.

About this time 9/11 took place and they lost their US backers. (Including both Donald Trump and Bill Clinton).
The leaders of the IRA accepted plum jobs in the UK and NI parliaments.

Peace was achieved down the barrel of a gun.

You have a very English view on history. I suppose the empire was helping all those poor countries around the world also. Lets look at your really stupid comments.

Quote from: Baff on September 17, 2020, 01:45:21 AMThe IRA lost their war militarily and formally declared NI part of the UK in the Good Friday Agreement.
The IRA never lost their military effort, not even when their was 27,000 UK military on the ground trying to stop them. The IRA never declared NI part of the UK, the ROI did that in the GFA. The UK in the GFA basically said that NI would not have any barriers to SI. Where in the world can people have the options where there is an invisible border, goods moving left-right without checks, people being able by birth to have a passport in the a joining country. Your trying to make it sound like the IRA just gave up and handed NI over to the brits.

Quote from: Baff on September 17, 2020, 01:45:21 AMAbout this time 9/11 took place and they lost their US backers. (Including both Donald Trump and Bill Clinton).
The leaders of the IRA accepted plum jobs in the UK and NI parliaments.
Peace was achieved down the barrel of a gun.
First 9/11 was in 2001, the GFA was brokered in 1998, what's the point ???? Secondly there is some rhetoric that there is a special relationship between the UK and USA, but let me tell you it's no where near as special as the relationship between Ireland and USA. Think about it, the UK ruled in the USA and they had to kick the crap out of you to leave, where in IRL people were forced from their land and had to take refuge in USA. During the mid 1800 over 1.5 million Irish moved to the USA or starve to death at the hands of the UK. There are today 33 million in USA that identify as Irish, that's 10% of the population of the USA and their history is not forgotten. It's why Joe Biden, Nancy Peloci and that's why politicians in America pay attention to what's going on here.
Of course peace was brokered down a barrel of a gun, if there was no gun you would have had peace to start with. That must be one of the most stupid comments yet from you. But then maybe if the UK hadn't partitioned a country 100 years ago then the UK wouldn't find itself in this bind, that's getting worse as the weeks pass.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 16, 2020, 09:06:15 PM

Well obviously full of history around here and plenty of nice camp sites. We can talk cadac recipes. In French obviously.

seriously sheep i have always wanted to go down to hastings.

Been to brighton and bognor regis , and passed through dover many a time  , but never been to hastings.

Once this covid 19 shite has calmed down  , and we start using the van again , i will put hastings on the list.
well seriously as someone said to me the other day, what more could you want, you have the seaside and 5 minutes away the countryside, the place is steeped in history and enough places to visit historically to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Sheepy

As for uncle joe, with his you and the EU need me, I doubt it somehow joe.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 17, 2020, 12:05:34 AM
Quote from: Nick on September 16, 2020, 10:56:56 PM
Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2020, 10:40:14 PMhow peace was brokered.

Peace wasn't brokered. SI had one of the fastest growing economy in the world so the Provo's were told to wind it in and not damage the economy. Businesses were flocking to SI. With loads of money sloshing around they turned to drugs and prostitution, the occasional fire cracker to ensure their friends in Boston still contributed, but in essence they swapped trades, the GFA was just a convenient way of keeping face.

A few of the staunch members still want to rise up but the appetite has gone.
Just shows what you know about IRL. I'd forgive your ignorance but NI is part of the UK, you should know it's history. The troubles in NI never really spilled over into ROI and certainly had zero effect on business down south. What you don't seem to understand or know is the Nationalist people of Ireland under the GFA could freely travel north/south without any border checks. That's a lot when you consider the UK had at the height of the troubles 27,000 troops in NI. Secondly every person born in NI by birth can claim Irish citizenship. Third the GFA brought self govt. in stormont, finally a land owner could have property straddle the border, he could work and move his animals freely, no checks. It was these changes that brought an end to the troubles. The UK decided on brexit without a single thought for NI, only ROI and the EU were looking out for NI, trying to keep the the agreement intact.

The EU have conceded on a a lot to allow this to happen, NI can remain effectively in the EU while being part of the UK single market. All the joint committee was doing this yr was to figure out which goods were at risk of travelling into NI and then on into ROI. BUt the UK would prefer to lie and spoof, the USA can see straight through the crap.

When you look at trump, and you think what a fool. Now you know what people outside the UK think when they look at Johnson and most of his hench men.
Not of course we wouldn't have a clue why the transition period ends after the US election. Or whatever bullshit name they are calling it.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 17, 2020, 07:18:32 AM
Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2020, 10:43:13 PM
And to add, Joe Biden has also re-iterated what Nancy said in a new tweet. If the UK breaks it agreement under the GFA and causes damage to the GFA then forget about a USA-UK trade deal.

Brexit Just keeps giving

"Britannia waives the rules"

Joe Biden?

;D

Come on to f**k gerry. :D

When obama told the english not to vote to leave the eu , he had people running to the voting booth to vote leave.
joe Biden needs the Irish American vote, so what else would he say, but then after the election he will need a UK partner, on the other hand we could do an Israeli and make sure Biden don't get in and produce a Trump. Who incidentally are setting about getting him the coveted Nobel peace prize.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2020, 10:43:13 PM
And to add, Joe Biden has also re-iterated what Nancy said in a new tweet. If the UK breaks it agreement under the GFA and causes damage to the GFA then forget about a USA-UK trade deal.

Brexit Just keeps giving

"Britannia waives the rules"

Joe Biden?

;D

Come on to F@@@ gerry. :D

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on September 16, 2020, 09:06:15 PM

Well obviously full of history around here and plenty of nice camp sites. We can talk cadac recipes. In French obviously.

seriously sheep i have always wanted to go down to hastings.

Been to brighton and bognor regis , and passed through dover many a time  , but never been to hastings.

Once this covid 19 shite has calmed down  , and we start using the van again , i will put hastings on the list.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!