Vaccines and treatments for COVID-19 and flu - gov consultation

Started by Barry, September 16, 2020, 09:27:23 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Some virologists have suggested paying people to have the vaccine to try to offset the reluctance in some people to have vaccinations.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

One of the world's leading Covid-19 experimental vaccines produces an immune response in older adults as well as the young, its developers say, raising hopes of protection for those most vulnerable to the coronavirus that has caused social and economic chaos around the world.

Neither Oxford University nor its commercial partner AstraZeneca would release the data from the early trials showing the positive effects, which are being submitted to a peer-reviewed journal. But AstraZeneca confirmed the basic findings about the vaccine it calls AZD1222, which were shared at a closed academic meeting.

The phase 2 trials have shown that people over the age of 56 – and some over 70 – produced the same sort of antibody response as younger volunteers. Whether older people would be protected has always been a key question for the vaccines being developed. The body's natural immune system and therefore its ability to fight any virus weakens with age, which is why the Covid death rate rises in older people.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/27/covid-vaccine-uk-oxford-university-astrazeneca-works-in-all-ages-trials-suggest
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 07:28:00 PM
Seems to me that encroaching on and destroying other species' natural habitats automatically brings humans into closer contact with them and their dangers and their diseases, and aids cross-species transmission, creating new zoonotic diseases. Add to that the growing world population — increasing numbers among which are previously-remote people (now carrying infections and largely asymptomatic) moving into highly populated areas, with much of the whole world population on the move, and the outlook is grim...

The cutting of  funding for research into new  animal and plant diseases over the last ten years has left us all very vulnerable to something nasty appearing out of nowhere.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 07:28:00 PM
Seems to me that encroaching on and destroying other species' natural habitats automatically brings humans into closer contact with them and their dangers and their diseases, and aids cross-species transmission, creating new zoonotic diseases. Add to that the growing world population — increasing numbers among which are previously-remote people (now carrying infections and largely asymptomatic) moving into highly populated areas, with much of the whole world population on the move, and the outlook is grim...
it probably doesn't help thinking you can ramp up and treat communist China like a bunch of easily manipulated Neoliberals, which they sure as hell ain't, with the PLA making it well known they will always be the peoples army.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 01:40:37 PM
^^^
Strange reply given the latest suggestions...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-researchers-suggest-common-cold-could-offer-covid-19-protection-12090540

https://www.thehealthsite.com/news/the-common-cold-may-give-you-immunity-from-covid-19-for-a-lifetime-771260/
Latest advice Pat, we have been telling everyone it was discovered as part of the common cold for months and has been played with, somewhere somehow, even backed that up with evidence, they have all been playing with it. You shouldn't play with things that self mutate anyway.
Bats I tell you, they are all frigging bats.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2020, 11:40:39 AM
I agree with the hand washing, face covering if you like, and keeping apart, but not with fining people for meeting and hugging their friends and families.
In the press today, the gov are hoping to have people vaccinated by mid 2021, which they say should end the crisis.
Thing is, they seem to have exacerbated the crisis.
Lot of old cobblers, the government advice was shut down the economy for three months keep two metres distance, when anybody with even half a brain knew it wasn't going away in three months six months or six years, they have never managed a vaccine for the common cold which covid is spread by, so they just as well say next fecking week.
Which also if anyone had the IQ of a plant, might work out that is why some people with weaker immune systems are at greater risk and also why it can affect different DNA in different ways. It is all about immunity, if I ramp up in the rain forest and spread a light cold, I will wipe out a whole tribe.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
I am not sure that's so. Perhaps papy is mindful of NHS advice rather than government, and anyway the government is listening to science.
Not sure I understand your reply, or who you're addressing. In any case it seems to me that govt advice is broadbrush and NHS localises instructions. Either way I don't think it takes too much working out to see what is sensible for oneself...

PS: and local lockdown rules are accessible by postcode on the BBC News website for anyone who's desperate for official confirmation...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2020, 11:40:39 AM

The people ignoring the rules have exacerbated the crisis, that and more or less zero enforcement of the regulations.

Barry

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 11:10:54 AMPut simply: hand washing is likely to offer better protection than hand wringing...
I agree with the hand washing, face covering if you like, and keeping apart, but not with fining people for meeting and hugging their friends and families.
In the press today, the gov are hoping to have people vaccinated by mid 2021, which they say should end the crisis.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2020, 11:24:00 AM
Two points from above:
a) .... you think we should follow advice from a govt who you yourself view as utterly incompetent.
b) Truly you are a Tory sycophant with no thinking ability of your own.

Perhaps best answered with another:
Your logic isn't impeccable...

I am not sure that's so. Perhaps papy is mindful of NHS advice rather than government, and anyway the government is listening to science.

patman post

Quote from: Dynamis on October 04, 2020, 09:49:11 PM
"a sin maybe"?

As are you, demonstrating that you think we should follow advice from a govt who you yourself view as utterly incompetent.

Your logic isn't impeccable.

An invented argument of yours..

Sounds like Patel's new immigration policy, your party seem to be going wrong..

No. Not when the instructions are 100% confused and unclear. Are you a Tory HQ propaganda bot?

Yes well some people never reach the required maturity for that or many other things, some in addition need the govt to baby them their whole lives even though they agree the govt acting as their parents are incompetent.

Of course reasonable guidelines should be followed, but arbitrary rules that even MP's don't stick to, and which Bojo contradicts, are a laughing stock.

Truly you are a Tory sycophant with no thinking ability of your own.
Two points from above:
a) .... you think we should follow advice from a govt who you yourself view as utterly incompetent.
b) Truly you are a Tory sycophant with no thinking ability of your own.

Perhaps best answered with another:
Your logic isn't impeccable...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 05, 2020, 10:17:10 AM---  ..  -.  -.-

I got asked by a young lady from China what the  oink of a pig was.
(Comment under video of all of a pig being cooked.)

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?