Vaccines and treatments for COVID-19 and flu - gov consultation

Started by Barry, September 16, 2020, 09:27:23 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2020, 01:08:26 PM
Deliberately intruducing an enyume that reacts with free adenosine triphosphate to disturb that balance is on a par with mainlining disinfectant. You go first.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 17, 2020, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2020, 07:58:45 AM
As an aside, Barry, WTF are you doing with firefly tails and why are you interested in measuring the serum / intracellular levels of free adenosine triphosphate ?
It can be injected along with a vaccine to prove you've had it.
According to some people that could happen.

OK.

Focussing specifically on this concept, can I just say that has to be the mast hair-brained half arsed lunatic idea i have heard in quite a while

There is a delicate serum (i.e extracellular) balance between adenosine triphosphate, free adenosine and adenosine diphosphate. Mucking withthis causes anything from diabetes to "singing detective" style skin inflammations at the drop of a hat. Deliberately intruducing an enyume that reacts with free adenosine triphosphate to disturb that balance is on a par with mainlining disinfectant. You go first.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 17, 2020, 12:46:59 PM

That is what medical records are for.

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2020, 07:58:45 AM
As an aside, Barry, WTF are you doing with firefly tails and why are you interested in measuring the serum / intracellular levels of free adenosine triphosphate ?
According to some people that could happen.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 17, 2020, 09:13:02 AM

But the Beeb is so bloody timid and will probably cause another out break of the plague that will kill us all by Christmas.

Actually due to the cuts in tests by vets on animals which find diseases early, an out break of something nasty that could transmit to humans would be well underway long before it became obvious, and if it was a level four pathogen we would be stuffed.
I blame George Osborne:-
From five years ago but it was discussed on the last Country file on BBC last weekend.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/george-osborne-s-cuts-threaten-uk-s-ability-detect-animal-diseases-a6743666.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mn4j

In the light of the coronavirus pandemic, Tom investigates whether the UK is sufficiently armed against further threats of diseases that spread from animals to humans.

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2020, 09:27:23 PMDon't say you weren't given the opportunity to consult, before the untested vaccine is made mandatory.

I mean, did you read past paragraph four?

"A COVID-19 vaccine would only be authorised in this way if the UK's licensing authority was satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate the safety, quality and efficacy of the vaccine. 'Unlicensed' does not mean 'untested'."
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on September 17, 2020, 08:39:25 AM
Well I turned on the TV this morning and there it was the Covid onslaught, so I turned it back off.

Not a bad idea.

When I was a lad everyone was going down like flies with the Asian flu, so the school nurse lined us all up and dosed us with something or other. I don't know what it was (probably Galloway's Cough Syrup) but she was so brisk and efficient as she stood there with a table spoon of gunk in one hand and a Balkan Sobranie in the other, that it was pretty obvious that she knew her stuff and so none of us got sick thereafter.

But the Beeb is so bloody timid and will probably cause another out break of the plague that will kill us all by Christmas.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Well I turned on the TV this morning and there it was the Covid onslaught, so I turned it back off.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 17, 2020, 07:44:56 AM

The first is the relaxation that the person supplying AND the person administering the drug are healthcare professionals. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I believe the pharmacist to whom I go for my flu jabs because  he does them pretty much there and then with no pissing about organising an appointment with a receptionist is classified as a "healthcare professional" i the existing framework, and i DO know - because I have seen and read the declaration on the wall by the till - that his certificate of fitness to practice as a responsible person within the pharmacy has been extended to include administration of the flu vaccine which required him to attend and pass a training session on its administration.  It worries me that they are relaxing this to the point any street junkie could shoot you up with the vaccine.

The second concern is more general. They are makingthis change by statutory instrument. No MP will ever geta  chance to speak against it or vote against it.

My main worry is because of shielding my flu jab is likely to be adminstered by a doctor.  I must prefer one of the practice nurse to do to, they are more skilled at it.
I am also worried about MPs not being able to vote.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2020, 09:27:23 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu

Don't say you weren't given the opportunity to consult, before the untested vaccine is made mandatory.

There, and I didn't even mention luciferase, or did I?

OK I'll bite, not least because it's an area of my former expertise.

I have focussed my interest on the statutory instrument.

The UK is currently bound into an EU-based legislative framework for the supply of medicines which fall into three classes. Prescription Only Medicines (speaks for itself), Pharmacist Supplied Medicines (an example being the large boxes of 1000mg co-codamol of which I buy once every couple of years from my local friendly neighbourhood pharmacist because they last that long and are a bloody sight cheaper in bulk but you can only get them after chatting to a pharmacist) and the third class is the crap you can get anywhere in a supermarket shelf.

Now before the europhiles and europhobes have a go at each other we had pretty much the same system in place in 1971.

This statutory instrument relaxes the restrictions whereby those supplying the drug need a marketing authority to distribute it.

Frankly, there are only two areas where I am disturbed.

The first is the relaxation that the person supplying AND the person administering the drug are healthcare professionals. I'm willing to be proven wrong but I believe the pharmacist to whom I go for my flu jabs because  he does them pretty much there and then with no pissing about organising an appointment with a receptionist is classified as a "healthcare professional" i the existing framework, and i DO know - because I have seen and read the declaration on the wall by the till - that his certificate of fitness to practice as a responsible person within the pharmacy has been extended to include administration of the flu vaccine which required him to attend and pass a training session on its administration.  It worries me that they are relaxing this to the point any street junkie could shoot you up with the vaccine.

The second concern is more general. They are making this change by statutory instrument. No MP will ever geta  chance to speak against it or vote against it.

EDIT

I then turned my eyes to the more general consultation document. I stopped here

"2. Targeted discussions
Even though we are happy to receive comments from anyone, the purpose of this consultation exercise is to engage directly with specific stakeholders that we have identified. The UK government will be holding discussions with those stakeholders, at which it will be going into further detail about the proposals. This consultation document has been produced to support those discussions."

Contrary to smurfy's oh-so-predictable dig at the tories, he is quite wrong because up front the consultation notes say they are only going to listen to a select body of people so this was never a public document at all, hence why nobody ever heard of it.

I suspect at least half a dozen of my former work colleagues and three of my relatives either work for, or hold direct professional membership of, organisations to whom this would have been distributed. Strange that my former drinking buddy at the jazz club who like me has spoken to an audience at the Royal Society but unlike me spoke from it as a Fellow OF that Society, whio has been involved in research into the bug, has not mentioned it. Maybe they only want to listen to people thay know will agree with them ...

papasmurf

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/distributing-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19-and-flu

Don't say you weren't given the opportunity to consult, before the untested vaccine is made mandatory.

It will be as per usual with a Tory government consultation, they won't like the result and take no notice of it.

It also finishes tomorrow with bugger all publicity about the consultatation in the first place.

T00ts

Thanks for that - I will browse it tomorrow - a quick glance proved interesting. I wonder what JOG would make of it.

Sheepy

I guess we will be having the big Covid build up then Barry.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

† The end is nigh †