Empire bashing

Started by T00ts, September 17, 2020, 10:22:19 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Dynamis on September 21, 2020, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: Good old on September 20, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 05:30:39 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 17, 2020, 06:35:12 PM
Do the Africans have no say or input as to why it doesn't appear to be so.?
Not being sarcastic, I really don't know exactly how the majority of African nations are set up.

It's complex.

But heroes like this guy are often villified..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exiled-hotel-rwanda-hero-claims-151223414.html

Thanks for that DYNA, That seems to repeat a pattern I have noticed all to often in the nations of that continent.
They don't seem to be able to resolve their own problems without some sort of organised violent intent.
Not as bad as the worst days thank god, but still confrontational.

In that sense they do not help themselves

That's a rather typically elitist and western centric view.

How do you think we're faring with foreign countries interfering in our politics right now? Have you not noticed a sudden marked decline in our affairs?

Now imagine if we were much poorer and held in contempt by leaders of much of the world?

The question is.Who might be promoting the cause of either side, Busesabaging, might not be hard to guess, Kagame, ?
Either way if the motivation for conflict is being supported by outside interests , it can only be condemned .

It is complex again, but I suppose at least you acknowledge outside influence.

It may be typical but why elitist?  Surely I would patronising them if I didn't accept that they can and should play the major part in choosing how to run their own affairs ,and who to do it with.
It is complex. They are at a disadvantage ,we know, as history has left them with the problem of retrieving the ability to gain fully from their own natural assets  , without assistance from outside.
It is for them alone to choose wisely, as it is a fact of life that  any outside influence will come with some sort of price.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on September 21, 2020, 11:31:46 AMThe problem is, Pat dismisses everyone else's experiences as "the 4 yorkshireman sketch" then provides his own and expects sympathy.

The poster in question is well known for his attempts to get a reaction from others. He has said openly  that he gets a kick out of doing it, rather like some 10 year old poking fun at other kids.

Hes never attempted to debate a single issue in all the years he's been posting

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Good old on September 20, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
Not being sarcastic, I really don't know exactly how the majority of African nations are set up.

It's complex.

Thanks for that DYNA, That seems to repeat a pattern I have noticed all to often in the nations of that continent.
They don't seem to be able to resolve their own problems without some sort of organised violent intent.

In that sense they do not help themselves

That's a rather typically elitist and western centric view.

How do you think we're faring with foreign countries interfering in our politics right now? Have you not noticed a sudden marked decline in our affairs?

Now imagine if we were much poorer and held in contempt by leaders of much of the world?

The question is.Who might be promoting the cause of either side, Busesabaging, might not be hard to guess, Kagame, ?
Either way if the motivation for conflict is being supported by outside interests , it can only be condemned .

It is complex again, but I suppose at least you acknowledge outside influence.

+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on September 21, 2020, 10:45:08 AM
The empire happened it's the way of empires that they plunder the colonies for the enrichment of colonial power,that enrichment in this case  mainly benefited a few,there were not all negatives though infrastructure was built justice systems and society organised.

We all complain on here so why do any of us stay? well one reason might be the hope things improve.

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 12:32:46 PM
Quote from: patman post on September 20, 2020, 12:07:26 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2020, 04:42:46 PMSo tell us Pat, if this country is such a shit hole, why did your mother stay?
Don't think either my Mum or I have considered or referred to any country or region as such. Your question is reminiscent of the typical "it's a question of numbers" Enoch Powell supporter's: why don't you go back to where you come from? In Mum's case that would be Tottenham. In my case, Dalston.
Mum's parents came over in the sixties to join up with close relatives who'd come over and joined the RAF in 1944 and others who were recruited later to help rebuild Britain...

Very kind of your mum Pat, but WWII has been over for 75 years and Vera Lynn is dead, so the question remains, if things are so bad in this country why stay?

The problem is, Pat dismisses everyone else's experiences as "the 4 yorkshireman sketch" then provides his own and expects sympathy.

If he wasn't so condescending towards others' shared life experiences, then I'd probably echo your thoughts and defend him too..

I don't agree with the "immigrants shouldn't be here if x" line and think it's wrong - at the same time, not sure what he was expecting, if you are going to be super snobby then you'd surely expect people like Borkie to be, well, Borkie..
+++

cromwell

The empire happened it's the way of empires that they plunder the colonies for the enrichment of colonial power,that enrichment in this case  mainly benefited a few,there were not all negatives though infrastructure was built justice systems and society organised.

We all complain on here so why do any of us stay? well one reason might be the hope things improve.

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 12:32:46 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2020, 04:42:46 PMSo tell us Pat, if this country is such a shit hole, why did your mother stay?
Don't think either my Mum or I have considered or referred to any country or region as such. Your question is reminiscent of the typical "it's a question of numbers" Enoch Powell supporter's: why don't you go back to where you come from? In Mum's case that would be Tottenham. In my case, Dalston.
Mum's parents came over in the sixties to join up with close relatives who'd come over and joined the RAF in 1944 and others who were recruited later to help rebuild Britain...

Very kind of your mum Pat, but WWII has been over for 75 years and Vera Lynn is dead, so the question remains, if things are so bad in this country why stay?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 12:32:46 PMVery kind of your mum Pat, but WWII has been over for 75 years and Vera Lynn is dead, so the question remains, if things are so bad in this country why stay?
No kindness on her part involved — my Mum was born where her mother happened to be at the time. I doubt Vera Lynn played a big part in her birth.
She'd no doubt be touched at your concern with her happiness, but being born and raised in London and working in the NHS for many years, she regards London as home. Is that so strange...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

It's complex.

In that sense they do not help themselves.

Borg Refinery

+++

Borg Refinery

It's complex.

+++

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 20, 2020, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2020, 04:42:46 PMSo tell us Pat, if this country is such a shit hole, why did your mother stay

Because Pat would have a better chance of becoming the little capitalist he was destined to be, enjoying globetrotting business trips, expense accounts and property portfolios maybe?

He's got a bit of a problem now though. Black Lives Matter want to destroy global capitalism, so Pat either has to go back to the 'hood and join them, or become like the hordes of virtue signaling white celebrities and sports personalities, unwittingly voting for their own destruction on Facebook and Twitter
Well I guess celebrities are junkies to be in the public eye, what is more worrying is more people everyday who are white who are actually pink have been caught saying behind the internet they are black. Now that is some kind of psychological problem.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester on September 19, 2020, 04:42:46 PMSo tell us Pat, if this country is such a shit hole, why did your mother stay

Because Pat would have a better chance of becoming the little capitalist he was destined to be, enjoying globetrotting business trips, expense accounts and property portfolios maybe?

He's got a bit of a problem now though. Black Lives Matter want to destroy global capitalism, so Pat either has to go back to the 'hood and join them, or become like the hordes of virtue signaling white celebrities and sports personalities, unwittingly voting for their own destruction on Facebook and Twitter

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 19, 2020, 04:27:16 PM
Quote from: patman post on September 19, 2020, 03:16:17 PM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 18, 2020, 10:37:35 PMFor some colonies, the people were probably relatively 'lucky' to be in the British Empire rather than, say, the Spanish Empire. 
Bit of a blinkered view and backhanded condemnation. I doubt anyone can identify any indigenous peoples in the modern era who were better and happier for having been subjugated by any coloniser...?
Well they must have liked something about us as they keep coming here .

Good point SW.

So tell us Pat, if this country is such a shit hole, why did your mother stay?
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on September 19, 2020, 03:16:17 PM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 18, 2020, 10:37:35 PMFor some colonies, the people were probably relatively 'lucky' to be in the British Empire rather than, say, the Spanish Empire. 
Bit of a blinkered view and backhanded condemnation. I doubt anyone can identify any indigenous peoples in the modern era who were better and happier for having been subjugated by any coloniser...?
Well they must have liked something about us as they keep coming here .