All Governments incompetent?

Started by T00ts, September 18, 2020, 09:43:30 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2020, 10:36:06 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 18, 2020, 10:31:14 AM

Are those people kids by any chance?

Just wondering.

No they aren't, they are in their 30s and 40s.

Ah right, so it's like doc martin meets mad max meets captain pugwash over there?
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 18, 2020, 10:31:14 AM

Just wondering.

No they aren't, they are in their 30s and 40s.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2020, 10:23:13 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 18, 2020, 10:18:29 AM

Your cheer is infectious. :)

My wife and I are getting somewhat annoyed at providing practical assistance to people with things  that my wife and I knew how to do before we were ten years old.

Just wondering.
+++

T00ts

So there is an agreement - the solution?

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 18, 2020, 10:18:29 AM

My wife and I are getting somewhat annoyed at providing practical assistance to people with things  that my wife and I knew how to do before we were ten years old.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 18, 2020, 09:43:30 AM
Do we have a general malaise or inefficiency that pervades from top to bottom of society,

In recent years yes. There appears to be more useless incompetent bastards around in the last few years than at any time in my 72 years.

I have to ponder if most of the population are safe out without a minder.

If there is a major catsarsetrophy in Britain I suspect most of population would be dead within a month.

+++

papasmurf

Do we have a general malaise or inefficiency that pervades from top to bottom of society,

In recent years yes. There appears to be more useless incompetent bastards around in the last few years than at any time in my 72 years.

I have to ponder if most of the population are safe out without a minder.

If there is a major catsarsetrophy in Britain I suspect most of population would be dead within a month.

Good old

The complaints are coming thick and fast. BJ is incompetent, Covid 19 battle is incompetent, immigration handling is incompetent, EU negotiations are incompetent - the list goes on. In fact I can't find much that is apparently going well. It got me thinking whether this is a new phenomenon or simply hereditary from past and historic incompetence.

I went back as far as Thatcher and the references are pretty boring. All Governments have been described as incompetent so what's wrong?

Are we just an incompetent nation? Have we not been raising our kids to meet life's challenges for decades? Are we putting leadership people in positions that they are not qualified for? Are we no longer able to judge character? Don't we care enough? It starts small with poor service in businesses, people who don't return calls, others who don't complete a task properly. All the time others are having to pick up the loose ends or suffer the consequences of inefficiency.

How far are we prepared to fall before we start holding collars of those who let us down by not doing their job well? Do we have a general malaise or inefficiency that pervades from top to bottom of society, and if so should we start addressing this as a basic problem that needs intelligent and more importantly, efficient and competent change?

For the purposes of confronting the world as it is , we have become incompetent. Our confrontational system of politics.
Is to be admired in some antiquated ways , but it only reflects an inability to get to grips with important matters  in a rapid and organised manner . We are still stuck in a confrontational ,them and us , approach to virtually every problem.
A prime example of coming to terms with the problems all modern societies face  is Germany, they have class, in their society, but they don't let it dominate their politic to the degree that it can retard the general good of their society.
No society is perfect . Maintaining  a certain status quo, is invariably the root of the problem.

Borg Refinery

If they appoint Toots as Empress for life, they can be assured of a swift ascent to the greatest heights of excellency.

+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on September 18, 2020, 09:45:34 AM
Meh, the world has gone crazy and we're living in bizarre semi apocalyptic times.

It's probably just that.

I can't disagree with that (and according to my understanding it is scheduled to get worse) but surely we should be able to expect those who run our lives to be able to rise to the demands placed before them. If we take just Covid, since this all started it's almost as if those in charge of the organisation - and I don't just mean those on green benches - lack foresight, common sense and quite possibly honesty. From the word go Health England were seen to be lacking but it seems to  fester throughout all organisations. My feeling is that we as a country need to get a grip. Continuing as we are is not going to cut it once we can no longer relax under EU rules. We need some chutzpa and a lot more backbone.

Borg Refinery

Meh, the world has gone crazy and we're living in bizarre semi apocalyptic times.

It's probably just that.
+++

T00ts

The complaints are coming thick and fast. BJ is incompetent, Covid 19 battle is incompetent, immigration handling is incompetent, EU negotiations are incompetent - the list goes on. In fact I can't find much that is apparently going well. It got me thinking whether this is a new phenomenon or simply hereditary from past and historic incompetence.

I went back as far as Thatcher and the references are pretty boring. All Governments have been described as incompetent so what's wrong?

Are we just an incompetent nation? Have we not been raising our kids to meet life's challenges for decades? Are we putting leadership people in positions that they are not qualified for? Are we no longer able to judge character? Don't we care enough? It starts small with poor service in businesses, people who don't return calls, others who don't complete a task properly. All the time others are having to pick up the loose ends or suffer the consequences of inefficiency.

How far are we prepared to fall before we start holding collars of those who let us down by not doing their job well? Do we have a general malaise or inefficiency that pervades from top to bottom of society, and if so should we start addressing this as a basic problem that needs intelligent and more importantly, efficient and competent change?