But wait the EU is just a trade body

Started by Sheepy, September 18, 2020, 06:50:51 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 12:21:43 PMwhy ?

I thought you have been shouting for the last four years the uk is failing because of voting brexit?

Johnson is doing a grand job sticking two fingers up to the eu, something may the remainer should have done years ago

brexit = bad
no deal brexit = very bad
no deal brexit with johnson = disaster

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 11:53:53 AMsure , but the point is you have to list the sequence of events and you remainers never ending tactics of screaming about the end of the world and regurgitating same old stories.

That's four and a half years now gerry you have been shouting the same odds , and every time people laugh and ignore and carry on supporting brexit.
I asked here originally why people wanted brexit. I was told a lot of things. We talked of going back to the empire and the UK becoming a global force, that the EU was holding the UK back and the UK was fed up financing the EU, loosing money. That taking back control was key. The predictions of a financial hit were laughed at. As time went by the narrative changed, it was all about sovereignty and brexit was worth it at any price. Then we had the EU were bullies and trying to punish the UK, make an example of it, when the reality is the UK is self harming and what's happening is just plain old brexit.

It's never about the end of the world, reality is brexit is going to have a serious damaging affect on the UK, for very little if any gain. No one is trying to stop you, it's more of the sheriff from blazing saddles brexit thinking.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 11:09:00 AMThe uk is going to thrive outside the eu in the near future , and anyone who tells me they can predict the next forty to fifty years is of course talking bollocks.
Anyone that says the UK is going to thrive in the near future is most definitely talking bol!ox. Have you any reputable economics (yes the experts) that have said that.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 11:07:31 AMThe italians see it as merely their own money being handed back to them as a butter up to stop them leaving. Read the earlier article.
Italy net contribution is 5b, it's small money for what they get. The UK discovered that and will see more of the impact next yr. Your in lala land if you think any country is going to follow after the shambles brexit is for the UK.

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 11:07:31 AMThe damage to the uk in the last four years has been from uncertainty , largely caused by pro european remainers doing everything you can to stop democracy being enacted and the uk leaving. ( as well as covid)

Once we are finally out and about in 14 weeks , and things start settling down , the success story of the uk outside the eu will spur on many countries  to follow suit.
Would you stop, the damage is caused because the EU has benefits which saves money by being a member. Your getting delusional if you think other countries will follow the example of brexit.  :D :D :D

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 12:23:10 PM
  You do link some opinion pieces.

Thats twice now you have shot the messenger because you dont like the message gerry.

14 weeks to go mate.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 12:23:10 PM

It left off London is loosing all it's FTA's and with it financial passporting into the EU, so that's going to affect it's global position. How come it doesn't factor in the change !  You do link some opinion pieces.

It does mention it in many of the articles i posted , how london may have lost top spot to new york , but will remain the top financial hub on the euro continent and among the top in the world.

Also how come you never mention any businesses liek the 1400 eu businesses wanting to desperately trade in the uk after hard brexit?

With you , its only one way propaganda.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 11:03:22 AM
QuoteIn the three-and-a-half years since the UK voted to leave the European Union (EU) much has been written about how London's status as a global leader in financial services could be weakened. However, with a diverse economy, highly skilled workforce, wide tourist demand, world-class universities and cultural appeal, London will not only survive Brexit, but will continue to thrive.

https://www.cityam.com/seven-reasons-why-london-will-thrive-regardless-of-brexit/

It left off London is loosing all it's FTA's and with it financial passporting into the EU, so that's going to affect it's global position. How come it doesn't factor in the change !  You do link some opinion pieces.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 12:16:40 PM

Well thanks to Johnson the UK is failing

why ?

I thought you have been shouting for the last four years the uk is failing because of voting brexit?

Johnson is doing a grand job sticking two fingers up to the eu, something may the remainer should have done years ago .

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 11:56:18 AM

I'm all ears, I asked for yrs and finally gave up. But I'll give it another go, what are the financial benefits to Brexit, obviously as the EU/UK financial passport closes companies in the UK doing business in the EU will move to the EU and likewise EU companies will move to the UK. So you tell me, how much is moving out of the EU into the UK and how much is moving the other way.
But apart from financial services, what are the other great benefits financially to brexit

I have already posted many article on the subject , and opinions .

Brexit wasnt and never has been about simply "what are the financial benefits of the uk leaving the eu".

You know this .....numerous posters across two sites have told you this and explained in depth their position , and you stuck your two fingers in your ears and went la la la , then five minutes later asked the same irrelevant question.

You lost the economic argument back in 2016. You have been losing it and continue to do so today.

The voting public told you time and again the economic gains , and potential losses of brexit arent relevant , they want out the eu at all cost.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:57:07 AMPro european remainers like gerry are choking for the uk to suffer and fail , beacuse as this irish article says  , the whole eu project depends on it .

Johnson must rip up the WA and walk now.
Quote (selected)

That is why, for Europe to thrive, Brexit Britain must fail (and fail badly).

Well thanks to Johnson the UK is failing. Cost of brexit before the UK leaves the protection of the EU 130b and rising. It's putting up a border down the middle of it's country and another police manned border in Kent. It's failure to get a deal and loosing financial passporting, yep its managing to fail all on it's own.

I don't wish that on the UK, if it did get a trade deal it would make our life easier. As for Johnson ripping up the WA, I very much doubt he will, he say's one thing and does another. Question though, if he's going to rip up the WA, why is he putting in a border in the Irish sea.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:44:37 AMYou keep trying to bum up any negative aspect of brexit with talk of assets and companies moving away from the uk , but you remain silent in your one sided propaganda against brexit  , for example of the 1400 eu based comapnies asking permission to operate inside the uk after hard brexit at the end of the year.

I'm all ears, I asked for yrs and finally gave up. But I'll give it another go, what are the financial benefits to Brexit, obviously as the EU/UK financial passport closes companies in the UK doing business in the EU will move to the EU and likewise EU companies will move to the UK. So you tell me, how much is moving out of the EU into the UK and how much is moving the other way.
But apart from financial services, what are the other great benefits financially to brexit

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:31:49 AMFFS not jp morgan again?
Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:31:49 AMBoris Johnson wins huge majority on promise to 'get Brexit done'

Thomas, please, a 2019 "get brexit done" article, funny.

sure , but the point is you have to list the sequence of events and you remainers never ending tactics of screaming about the end of the world and regurgitating same old stories.

Thats four and a half years now gerry you have been shouting the same odds , and everytime people laugh and ignore and carry on supporting brexit.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:33:57 AM
QuoteSince the vote to leave the EU, Britain has leapfrogged the United States to become the largest centre for trading interest rate swaps, despite calls by ex-French President Francois Hollande to end London's dominance in clearing euro-denominated derivatives.

The city's standing ensures the United Kingdom keeps one of its last big chips at the top table of world politics just as it splits from the EU.

It also means EU companies will still come to London to raise finance outside the bloc after Brexit, a fact not lost on Wall Street heavyweights such as Goldman Sachs GS.N and JP Morgan JPM.N.

Just a mile away from 22 Bishopsgate, Goldman opened its new 1 million square foot European headquarters - complete with mothers' rooms and wildflowers on the roof - in July, three years on from the 2016 referendum.

Largely abandoned by the British government during Brexit talks, ten senior industry officials told Reuters London's financial services sector has grown since 2016 because there is no realistic competitor in its time zone.

And high-rolling bankers are too attached to its Anglo-Saxon, work-hard, play-hard culture.

Reuters contacted JP Morgan and Goldman, and rivals Citi C.N, Bank of America BAC.N, UBS UBSG.S, Morgan Stanley MS.N, Credit Suisse CSGN.S and Deutsche Bank DBKGn.DE, to seek details on how a 'no deal Brexit' might accelerate the transfer of resources and activities from London.

All banks said they were prepared for a no-deal Brexit, and had been since the first quarter.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-finance-analysis/london-retains-global-finance-throne-amid-brexit-chaos-idUKKBN1WU0I8

:) :) :) :) 2019 again

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:31:49 AMFFS not jp morgan again?
Quote from: Thomas on September 25, 2020, 10:31:49 AMBoris Johnson wins huge majority on promise to 'get Brexit done'

Thomas, please, a 2019 "get brexit done" article, funny.

Thomas

QuoteSeven reasons why London will thrive regardless of Brexit
London's geographical location between Asia and North America means it is perfectly positioned as one of the command centres for the global economy, along with New York and Tokyo. Leaving the EU is unlikely to affect its status as an influential global city.

QuoteIn the most recent Schroders Global Cities Index, London was ranked second, finishing behind Los Angeles. The index aims to rank the most attractive cities to invest in over the next 10 years. London has a highly developed transport infrastructure which includes Europe's busiest airport (London Heathrow).  In addition, it is London's cultural appeal which includes museums, theatres, art galleries as well as vast amounts of open spaces and parks, which attracts so many people to the city.
London is the biggest city in Europe and one of only two Alpha++ cities in the world

With a population of almost nine million, London is the biggest city in Europe and one of the largest in the world. It is one of only two cities in the world to be ranked Alpha++ by the think tank Globalization and World Cities Research Network. Alpha ++ cities are those that are most integrated with the global economy (the other Alpha++ city is New York).

The bigger London gets, the more efficient it becomes and the more people it attracts. This is the power of urbanisation. The vast number of people living in London, and the fact that increasing numbers of people are living in the centre of the city, also means that services such as car sharing are able to operate effectively.

https://www.cityam.com/seven-reasons-why-london-will-thrive-regardless-of-brexit/

plenty of studies showing the uk can thrive after brexit.