How Would YOU Have Handled C19?

Started by Dynamis, September 19, 2020, 08:47:20 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 04, 2020, 06:26:48 PM
I'd have had all liberals given a fecking good shoeing, followed by a 10 mile run, then made the fecking lot of them get a proper job

No, it wouldn't have made any difference at all to CV-19, but I'd feel better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ne3VOnnUE8
+++

DeppityDawg

I'd have had all liberals given a fecking good shoeing, followed by a 10 mile run, then made the fecking lot of them get a proper job

No, it wouldn't have made any difference at all to CV-19, but I'd feel better

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 04, 2020, 06:21:47 PM
If we're the comparing the UK with different countries, why not with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Vietnam? They can all boast lower Covid mortality. Why?
Could it be that Far East people have an acquired immunity left over from other virus outbreaks? Or could it be they accept instructions, regulations and rules more readily that the British?
Or could it be greater community spirit? Japanese people began wearing face masks more than 100 years ago during the 1919 flu pandemic and have never really stopped. Anyone getting a cough or a cold there is expected to mask up  to protect those around them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww

Pat has a case of the vapors and he is turning Japanese.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

If we're the comparing the UK with different countries, why not with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Vietnam? They can all boast lower Covid mortality. Why?
Could it be that Far East people have an acquired immunity left over from other virus outbreaks? Or could it be they accept instructions, regulations and rules more readily that the British?
Or could it be greater community spirit? Japanese people began wearing face masks more than 100 years ago during the 1919 flu pandemic and have never really stopped. Anyone getting a cough or a cold there is expected to mask up  to protect those around them...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: Dynamis on October 04, 2020, 07:48:22 AM
https://www.channel4.com/news/boris-johnson-sought-advice-from-sweden-over-covid-strategy
Pity he didn't stick with the original plan. He lost his bottle. Sweden did not, so they were free from dystopian laws created to control the invisible.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

+++

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on October 03, 2020, 04:50:29 PM
Ideally, media training

🤣😆😂;D!!!!!!!

Yeah, that'll work brilliantly, btw LOVE your snide little digs here and there, very good as usual.

You do literally everything you just complained about in your own post. Do you do irony or what?
+++

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2020, 02:12:32 PM
We could never have emulated those countries where the population is naturally obedient. It was said right at the beginning that Britons wouldn't tolerate a prolonged shut down - they would get angry, bored and revolt. This has proved true and the prospect of further shut downs is falling on deaf ears. The delay at the beginning was, I am sure, because they wanted to leave it to the last minute in an attempt to deal with our very self opinionated, freedom obsessed population.

At the same time I am fairly sure that the Cabinet and perhaps BJ in particular imagined that this country would do as asked and be measured in their behaviour since. It has not been so and thus if anything is to be effective it has to be heavy handed and seen to be.  It's a shame because we are proving to be our own worst enemies. Equally the science was naïve at the beginning in imaging that a state of herd immunity was possible so soon. Boffins without street cred comes to mind, and what might seem plausible on their graphs failed to include human nature. There is something to be learned from that I would suggest.

I am expecting more and more panic lead action in an effort to be all things to all men.

When I started teaching I was given some very good advice. Start tough then you can lighten up as they learn the respect. It has stood me in good stead both with my own family and others - adult and children. This Government's biggest mistake has been to gently appeal to our better nature and when that failed are now having to toughen up. It's a much more difficult path once those being bidden recognise weakness.

We should have locked down sooner, there was enough time from the virus reaching Europe to gear things up to cover shortages etc. but the relaxed view coming out of Westminster gave many a false sense of security. 20,000 deaths was going to be a good outcome. What a ridiculous statement that has proved to be. We should have closed borders completely apart from those returning home. Isolation of travellers should have continued as long as possible. Our scientists were too blasé about the risks. Charts since have shown London to have been the hub that spread infected travellers world wide.

Who to blame? Public Health England was and still does bear a massive guilt. The science even if they knew, failed to get the message across even the Cabinet table. Centralisation of testing, of NHS reaction and preparation, all failed to varying degrees depending on area. This was a moment to involve everyone with skills. It was a moment to go out and act in the same way as pulling iron railings down for the war effort. Would I have done any differently? Sadly probably not because I would probably have listened to the experts too. I guess there are few who would not have done for fear of egg on face.
Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2020, 10:01:43 AMOh come on Barry you're not taken in by that surely? She has been told to talk over him, to expect a level of detail that even you Barry would struggle to attain. She has obviously been learning at Paxman's knee. It's so easy to make someone look stupid. These are classic techniques. There she is with her crib sheet throwing detail out while giving him no time to collect his thoughts - it's a nonsense. She has one agenda - self promotion.
I agree with most of those two views:  1) a significant bolshy/reactionary proportion of the UK population is proving to be the worst enemy of the whole; and 2) the current crop of UK radio and TV interviewers seem more intent on getting their own points across and tripping up the interviewees than getting useful information — probably the result of years of politicians getting away with bluster and prevarication and not answering the questions asked.
Now the pendulum has swung too far. I think Paxman was good. Today's screeching and wittering interrupters seem to do little more than exasperate and occasionally give time checks.
Ideally, media training for both sides of the divide should help get useful info out especially at this time with Covid. But it's currently mainly helping to increase the effects of the bolshy and reactionary...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
T00ts and anyone else who thinks Boris is doing a good job watch this interview to realise he is totally uninformed.
Watch especially when asked about his own constituency numbers.
He was slaughtered by Hannah Miller, who wouldn't let him waffle.
https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-10-02/getting-r-number-below-one-key-to-lifting-north-west-restrictions-prime-minister-tells-itv-news

Oh come on Barry you're not taken in by that surely? She has been told to talk over him, to expect a level of detail that even you Barry would struggle to attain. She has obviously been learning at Paxman's knee. It's so easy to make someone look stupid. These are classic techniques. There she is with her crib sheet throwing detail out while giving him no time to collect his thoughts - it's a nonsense. She has one agenda - self promotion.

Barry

T00ts and anyone else who thinks Boris is doing a good job watch this interview to realise he is totally uninformed.
Watch especially when asked about his own constituency numbers.
He was slaughtered by Hannah Miller, who wouldn't let him waffle.
https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-10-02/getting-r-number-below-one-key-to-lifting-north-west-restrictions-prime-minister-tells-itv-news
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 02:17:39 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 01:45:30 PM

Older folks would rather die than let C19 harm economy, Bojo appreciates your willing sacrifice good sir. Now like a good blue bottomed fly, kindly go zzzap! by flying straight into the blue light.  :D

Anything to oblige, but I am not entirely sure that I will die anytime soon.

Well good, I hope not, but that's not what the govt thinks is it?

Why support folks who would willingly sacrifice who, in your own words are dishonest and amoral?

I mean..am I missing something here? Have I lost my plot?  :D Explain please.

QuoteI was up at the allotment and having a bit of a craic with the other plotholders, when John pitched up. Most of us had seen 70 come and go, but none of were wearing masks or taking any notice of the fashionable hysteria.

Except John.

Who has not drawn a sober breath in the forty years that I have known him and has now decided to worry himself to death. 

JoG has gained the plot next to you? You will do wonders talking nuking Wuhan together.  ;D

QuoteMost of us accept that shit happens and this current bug is one of those things and there is no point is hoping that Boris will run round and dose us up on Lemsip. But poor old John is like you and thinks that it is all the fault of the government.

Fair enough. Except I don't think it's all the govt's fault as I explained to Thomas, but they could have done much, much better. :)

Read Toots' post, she has said plenty of wisdom..
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 01:45:30 PM

Older folks would rather die than let C19 harm economy, Bojo appreciates your willing sacrifice good sir. Now like a good blue bottomed fly, kindly go zzzap! by flying straight into the blue light.  :D

Anything to oblige, but I am not entirely sure that I will die anytime soon.

I was up at the allotment and having a bit of a craic with the other plotholders, when John pitched up. Most of us had seen 70 come and go, but none of were wearing masks or taking any notice of the fashionable hysteria.

Except John.

Who has not drawn a sober breath in the forty years that I have known him and has now decided to worry himself to death. 

Most of us accept that shit happens and this current bug is one of those things and there is no point is hoping that Boris will run round and dose us up on Lemsip. But poor old John is like you and thinks that it is all the fault of the government.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

We could never have emulated those countries where the population is naturally obedient. It was said right at the beginning that Britons wouldn't tolerate a prolonged shut down - they would get angry, bored and revolt. This has proved true and the prospect of further shut downs is falling on deaf ears. The delay at the beginning was, I am sure, because they wanted to leave it to the last minute in an attempt to deal with our very self opinionated, freedom obsessed population.

At the same time I am fairly sure that the Cabinet and perhaps BJ in particular imagined that this country would do as asked and be measured in their behaviour since. It has not been so and thus if anything is to be effective it has to be heavy handed and seen to be.  It's a shame because we are proving to be our own worst enemies. Equally the science was naïve at the beginning in imaging that a state of herd immunity was possible so soon. Boffins without street cred comes to mind, and what might seem plausible on their graphs failed to include human nature. There is something to be learned from that I would suggest.

I am expecting more and more panic lead action in an effort to be all things to all men.

When I started teaching I was given some very good advice. Start tough then you can lighten up as they learn the respect. It has stood me in good stead both with my own family and others - adult and children. This Government's biggest mistake has been to gently appeal to our better nature and when that failed are now having to toughen up. It's a much more difficult path once those being bidden recognise weakness.

We should have locked down sooner, there was enough time from the virus reaching Europe to gear things up to cover shortages etc. but the relaxed view coming out of Westminster gave many a false sense of security. 20,000 deaths was going to be a good outcome. What a ridiculous statement that has proved to be. We should have closed borders completely apart from those returning home. Isolation of travellers should have continued as long as possible. Our scientists were too blasé about the risks. Charts since have shown London to have been the hub that spread infected travellers world wide.

Who to blame? Public Health England was and still does bear a massive guilt. The science even if they knew, failed to get the message across even the Cabinet table. Centralisation of testing, of NHS reaction and preparation, all failed to varying degrees depending on area. This was a moment to involve everyone with skills. It was a moment to go out and act in the same way as pulling iron railings down for the war effort. Would I have done any differently? Sadly probably not because I would probably have listened to the experts too. I guess there are few who would not have done for fear of egg on face.