You'll all have to have an electric car

Started by cromwell, September 20, 2020, 07:52:44 AM

« previous - next »

Sampanviking

Bio Mass heating systems??
Is that what we used to call a fire?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2020, 07:52:44 AM
We are told but you may not be able to charge it,don't want a smart meter well hard luck there's a third generation in the pipeline (should that be in the cable?) that will enable them to turn off various devices that are high demand.
Great so you come home from work put the car on charge and it's very cold too and you bought a new house where gas boilers are no longer allowed (2025 I think) so off goes the car charge the heating and oven......you're cold tired hungry can't go anywhere to get hot food warmth how nice.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/electric-cars/353209/energy-firms-want-right-switch-electric-cars-charging-home
Looks like the gas boiler ban is on the back burner. ;)
Will the ICE ban on cars also be put back?
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: nick on October 14, 2020, 12:08:56 AM
I use a company called Wampfler. Don't know a right lot about it as I don't get involved in that side of it but check them out.
Thanks for that. The company certainly seems to have expertise in inductive power transfer systems used in industrial contexts. I've contacted it to see if there's are thoughts on extending such systems into public areas and any resulting safety concerns...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 13, 2020, 01:17:30 PM
Anyone know about research into induction, leaky and wireless systems for the transmission of electricity, especially for motive power for people transport on such things as medical implants**?

The safety of Maglev systems was (is?) questioned a few years ago. I'm guessing that the train floor is a shield between the energy and people. But running a transmission system along a public highway must bring additional problems...

**Implanted cardiac rhythm devices have a switch (mostly of the reed variety) that closes when an external magnetic field is applied to it, resulting in the device to switch to a programming mode, mostly with asynchronous pacing. The switches in modern pacemakers tend to close at 0.9 milli Tesla, with the other hazards mentioned above occurring at much higher field strengths.

I use a company called Wampfler. Don't know a right lot about it as I don't get involved in that side of it but check them out.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Anyone know about research into induction, leaky and wireless systems for the transmission of electricity, especially for motive power for people transport on such things as medical implants**?

The safety of Maglev systems was (is?) questioned a few years ago. I'm guessing that the train floor is a shield between the energy and people. But running a transmission system along a public highway must bring additional problems...

**Implanted cardiac rhythm devices have a switch (mostly of the reed variety) that closes when an external magnetic field is applied to it, resulting in the device to switch to a programming mode, mostly with asynchronous pacing. The switches in modern pacemakers tend to close at 0.9 milli Tesla, with the other hazards mentioned above occurring at much higher field strengths.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 22, 2020, 10:57:54 AM
Overhead cables, its the only realistic option.

Its makes better sense than carting heaving batteries around
It does away for the need to have charging points
It protects the electricity grid from overload - I mean if you think about the spike caused by ovens, hobs and kettles being put on when everybody gets home from work, just think about the spike from millions of cars!

can't see any other option than overhead..

We already have them in Croydon (very ahead of the game here  ;D )  There called trams .

HDQQ

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 22, 2020, 10:57:54 AM

It protects the electricity grid from overload - I mean if you think about the spike caused by ovens, hobs and kettles being put on when everybody gets home from work, just think about the spike from millions of cars!

can't see any other option than overhead..
Have you pointed this out to Elon Musk yet?  :)

The thing is that even with the heavy batteries, electric cars are still much more energy-efficient than petrol or diesel ones. And most electric cars now have a battery in the form of a flat slab under the floor, giving a low centre of gravity. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2020, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2020, 01:32:18 PM
That's called induction and could be done through shallow buried cables in the road.

What happens when there is no road?
The vehicle falls into a hole?  ;D
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2020, 01:32:18 PM
That's called induction and could be done through shallow buried cables in the road.

What happens when there is no road?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 22, 2020, 11:12:16 AM
Blimey Samps have you got shares in a cable company?,they can't even fill potholes in the road overhead cable costs would be prohibitive.

The could always use Nikola Tesla's transmission of electrical power using radio waves.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Blimey Samps have you got shares in a cable company?,they can't even fill potholes in the road overhead cable costs would be prohibitive.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

Cant see any other option than overhead..

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 20, 2020, 08:04:50 AM
Electric cars are not a realistic option for many. We do not all live in semi-detached suburbia with access to a garage with power point. How the hell would I charge an electric car from my top floor flat?

Extension lead? :)

only jokin steve. I agree , electric as it stands arent realistic option for many people.

We tow a family touring caravan , and i have yet to see a hybrid never mind full on electric car that will tow a full size family caravan.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!