London - Ghost town

Started by T00ts, September 20, 2020, 11:54:53 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: HDQQ on September 21, 2020, 05:51:48 PMWe have escaped very lightly where I live, up to now.  But I can't think of any explanation for that other than chance.

You can't think of any other explanation? So it couldn't be that the doom mongers (you among them) who forecast back in March that we'd all be living in a barren, desolate landscape with streets stacked with corpses by now were wrong then?

HDQQ

As far as the small provincial town in southern England where I live goes, there's no noticeable difference in the number of people about or the amount of traffic on the road. People are wearing masks in shops (because they have to) apart from the staff, many of whom aren't. Out in the streets some people are wearing masks. There's still an "ain't no corona here" mentality among too many people, when there have been cases and a few deaths.

We have escaped very lightly where I live, up to now.  But I can't think of any explanation for that other than chance.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 21, 2020, 10:26:49 AMDoes taking responsibility for your own risk mean you wont be putting others at risk and those who are high risk ? 
No it does not. Taking responsibility for our own risk does not mean putting anyone else at risk, whether they are low or high risk. It makes no difference.

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 21, 2020, 10:26:49 AMDo your rights include ignoring  the rights of others ?
Of course not.

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2020, 09:36:01 AM
Quote from: Thomas on September 21, 2020, 08:05:02 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2020, 07:58:17 AM
I am a fat diabetic aged only 55.....it has been difficult to unpick exactly how serious or non-serious the risk factors are for such a demographic. Insofar as I can tell I am substantially less at risk than older people with underlying conditions but substantially more at risk than healthy under 45s. It is hard to know exactly what the risk factors are.

But I have just caught a stinking cold - proof positive that masks and social distancing are no absolute protection. If I can catch colds I can also catch covid. We all can.

Im no expert on the matter , like everyone else on here, but you hit the nail on the head .

There seems to be this myth growing that lockdown , hand washing and mask wearing is going to stop covid. Everything i have read about it suggests every human being on this planet one way or the other is going to catch this virus.
Agreed.
It's time to  let people take responsibility for their own risks and stop using the law to impede our rights.
We have to learn to live with this virus in the same way as we live with all the other cold and flu viruses.
Herd immunity has been decried, but as time goes on it is becoming clearer that it is right.

Does taking responsibility for your own risk mean you wont be putting others at risk and those who are high risk ? 
Do your rights include ignoring  the rights of others ?

Its why we are asked to wear masks , they may or may not be any good . If they work you may just save someone's life if they dont you have to wear a bit of cloth on your face when you go in a shop on get on a bus .

Barry

I am a fat diabetic aged only 55.....it has been difficult to unpick exactly how serious or non-serious the risk factors are for such a demographic. Insofar as I can tell I am substantially less at risk than older people with underlying conditions but substantially more at risk than healthy under 45s. It is hard to know exactly what the risk factors are.

But I have just caught a stinking cold - proof positive that masks and social distancing are no absolute protection. If I can catch colds I can also catch covid. We all can.

Im no expert on the matter , like everyone else on here, but you hit the nail on the head .

There seems to be this myth growing that lockdown , hand washing and mask wearing is going to stop covid. Everything i have read about it suggests every human being on this planet one way or the other is going to catch this virus.
Agreed.
It's time to  let people take responsibility for their own risks and stop using the law to impede our rights.
We have to learn to live with this virus in the same way as we live with all the other cold and flu viruses.
Herd immunity has been decried, but as time goes on it is becoming clearer that it is right.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

The fact is that in spite of lockdowns, hand washings, mask wearing, and social distancing, I and a number of work colleagues have all caught a stinking cold. It could just as easily have been covid. We cannot be protected from it's spread, the risk of it can only be reduced and delayed, perhaps buying time for a vaccine to arrive, though there is as yet no certainty that we will ever have an effective one.

And it is questionable whether we can even afford another full scale lockdown, either as individuals or as an economy. Which is a problem in itself because I like many others suspect that a big increase in cases will arrive with the colder weather. We may end up back where we were in March and April or worse.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 01:10:47 PM
I did a sum a while back and worked out that if everyone stands two metres apart they will fill their bubbles with flu bugs within 8 hours. So whatever happens, you are going to walk into a Chines death cloud sooner or later.

Toots, Streetwalker and Cromwell, look after yourself. Anybody else, remember that the age most at risk are fat diabetics over the age of 70. So just don't grow old.

Speaking as a dat diabetic whose 63 next week, are you telling me I've got seven more years of debauchery in me ?? Cool
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

I did a sum a while back and worked out that if everyone stands two metres apart they will fill their bubbles with flu bugs within 8 hours. So whatever happens, you are going to walk into a Chines death cloud sooner or later.

Toots, Streetwalker and Cromwell, look after yourself. Anybody else, remember that the age most at risk are fat diabetics over the age of 70. So just don't grow old.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 20, 2020, 11:54:53 AM
Sadiq Kahn is apparently urging the Government to put London into lockdown tomorrow.  10pm curfews on pubs etc working from home brought back with all the trimmings. Where London cases were deemed to be rising they were thought to be 2-3 weeks behind the North of the country but latest figures suggest that London is only a few days behind as numbers rise quickly.

On the other hand Rishi is beginning to panic financially which is to be expected. I am expecting to burrow down once again into isolation before long with fingers crossed that I can once again avoid the infection but what about you?

Have you had it and are confident that you will cope?
Do you have concerns that they are saying that antibodies only appear to be effective for a few weeks?
Do you have someone close who is vulnerable? Will you be happy to brave the 2nd wave in the brave new world?

Questions questions! There is one place I really am glad that I don't work, and that is anywhere near the Westminster bubble but I wonder if Sadiq is more concerned for Labour politics than the safety of London.

Well I am concerned still for my oh who is very vulnerable so I do the essentials take all the precautions I can,we go out but steer clear of others,not much more to be done.

Still working for next to nowt but ain't in it for the money.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

I have already with one thing and another had a year off work so will be come what may looking to get back in the next few weeks . I will though prefer to travel south into the wilds of Surrey rather than north into London .
Im not normally in the pub as late as even 9 so the curfew will have little effect apart from maybe the idiots will come out to play a little earlier

The Mrs is set up at home , new desk ,chair ect . These companies must be making a mint . She doesnt like it though and would rather be in the office . It looks like a permanent move though as the company is selling the office block for housing .

Dont know where it will all end but a change is certainly afoot

T00ts

I ought to say that when flu or anything nasty is on the rounds I tend to try and keep out of the way, but then at my time of life that's relatively easy to do.

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 12:27:21 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 12:02:37 PM
Sadiq Kahn is apparently urging the Government to put London into lockdown tomorrow.  10pm curfews on pubs etc working from home brought back with all the trimmings. Where London cases were deemed to be rising they were thought to be 2-3 weeks behind the North of the country but latest figures suggest that London is only a few days behind as numbers rise quickly.

On the other hand Rishi is beginning to panic financially which is to be expected. I am expecting to burrow down once again into isolation before long with fingers crossed that I can once again avoid the infection but what about you?

Do you have concerns that they are saying that antibodies only appear to be effective for a few weeks?
Do you have someone close who is vulnerable? Will you be happy to brave the 2nd wave in the brave new world?

Questions questions! There is one place I really am glad that I don't work, and that is anywhere near the Westminster bubble.

All the big cities across the yookay and europe are the same toots.

Im carrying on as normal until i am forced to do otherwise.

Each individual has to do what is in their own best interests.

Quite.

As said before, hardly anyone in London takes any notice of the anti flu laws and even less of poor old Saddo Khan, who is just going through the motions.

I am getting pissed off with this bug. I lost last year's coal allowance to Barry because I thought that the total UK fatalities would not fill a couple of double decker buses. And then I made a wager with some Yanks that US deaths would not exceed 300,000 and the bastards still keep dying as though I am made of money.

I have Biden down to win the US election and Trump will probably win just to spite me.
Well on the brightside, it seems some reputable scientists have found out that it matters not how long you stay under your bed, a virus will still be there when you come out, the genius of science I guess.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 12:02:37 PM

Questions questions! There is one place I really am glad that I don't work, and that is anywhere near the Westminster bubble.

All the big cities across the yookay and europe are the same toots.

Im carrying on as normal until i am forced to do otherwise.

Each individual has to do what is in their own best interests.

Quite.

As said before, hardly anyone in London takes any notice of the anti flu laws and even less of poor old Saddo Khan, who is just going through the motions.

I am getting pissed off with this bug. I lost last year's coal allowance to Barry because I thought that the total UK fatalities would not fill a couple of double decker buses. And then I made a wager with some Yanks that US deaths would not exceed 300,000 and the bastards still keep dying as though I am made of money.

I have Biden down to win the US election and Trump will probably win just to spite me.
Algerie Francais !