Ideology v facts in schools

Started by T00ts, September 21, 2020, 07:20:42 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 21, 2020, 09:20:58 PM
Is this the Kristie Higgs case, if so, I've just had an email about it, so will read up a bit more?
I'm always concerned when people are sacked for their opinions on Facebook, when they are doing a perfectly good job when at work. Smacks of a thought police or a "cancel culture" where the mob disqualify anyone with anti-liberal views.

Yes that''s the one?

Barry

Is this the Kristie Higgs case, if so, I've just had an email about it, so will read up a bit more?
I'm always concerned when people are sacked for their opinions on Facebook, when they are doing a perfectly good job when at work. Smacks of a thought police or a "cancel culture" where the mob disqualify anyone with anti-liberal views.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on September 21, 2020, 07:20:42 PM
I read today about a Christian lady who is a School secretary. She was sacked because her school came across a FB post that she had made condemning LGBT teaching in schools particularly primary.  She is taking them to court.
I was interested to note that most comments were in support with very few dissenters, particularly in that she was sacked for voicing a genuine opinion, with comments that children should be children amid free speech concerns.

One comment that really interested me was that 'schools should teach facts not ideology'. Have we got to the point where we are allowing our children to be indoctrinated or should we not be concerned? Should the classroom stop at facts?

I really think it should stop at facts. But of course it never has. Remember those dreadful morning assembles . What happens now is akin to implanting an alternative religion.

T00ts

I read today about a Christian lady who is a School secretary. She was sacked because her school came across a FB post that she had made condemning LGBT teaching in schools particularly primary.  She is taking them to court.
I was interested to note that most comments were in support with very few dissenters, particularly in that she was sacked for voicing a genuine opinion, with comments that children should be children amid free speech concerns.

One comment that really interested me was that 'schools should teach facts not ideology'. Have we got to the point where we are allowing our children to be indoctrinated or should we not be concerned? Should the classroom stop at facts?