Next GE

Started by Nick, September 21, 2020, 10:38:14 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2020, 01:23:47 PM

Really. How is that? It has not been replaced with anything else in England.

It should be replaced though. Democracy is now a dogs breakfast, FPTP is long past it's sell by date.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2020, 12:03:35 PMFrankly FPTP is dead,
Really. How is that? It has not been replaced with anything else in England.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2020, 11:59:34 AM

Under FPTP though you have the option of ignoring party labels entirely and voting on the calibre of the local candidate.

Frankly FPTP is dead, but the main political parties don't seem to realise it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 04:33:03 AM

Or in other words, the next GE will be a sham of the most epic proportions I've seen, and folks will say "you aren't allowed an opinion if you abstain or vote for a candidate that has no chance of winning [ie it's virtually an abstention]".

Bleh.
My hope is that Labour next time will offer something you see as worth voting for, though even I am not convinced of that as yet. As far as I am concerned though a vote for anyone at all is at least an exercise in having your say, which gives you every moral right to voice an opinion or complain about this or that being done or proposed. The fact that you may have chosen to vote for someone with no chance is a flaw in the FPTP voting system, not a flaw in your democratic choice.

I would urge everyone to vote for someone if they can, regardless of whether or not it is a party or person I personally support. Democracy is still something worth having.

Under FPTP though you have the option of ignoring party labels entirely and voting on the calibre of the local candidate.

Even I would prefer Major Sinic as the Tory candidate over someone like Margaret Hodge for Labour, for example.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

I'll be voting for the new Antilockdown party. I'm sure they'll do well. Sorry to mention the dreaded virus, but it will shape politics for years.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2020, 10:50:39 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 21, 2020, 10:45:18 PM
I can't believe I am posting this but I can imagine a Labour win next time.
Leaving aside all partisanship for a moment, that is of course within the realms of possibility. Though of course it is in no way a certainty. It is too early to even say if it's likely or unlikely. This far out, so much can change for better or for worse that the outcome as yet is essentially unpredictable. Anything is possible from a Labour landslide to a Tory landslide and anything in between. This far out it is all there still to play for for everyone.

It will be a vote for the worst candidates I think I've ever seen in my life.

Not that I habe any time for Lab anymore, it seems even Corbyn had a hand in cover up and defense of some very evil sexual predators who abused kids in the 70's - and karma and fate conspired to hand him the loss that I now realize he deserved, on top of his duplicity about Scotland AND lying about his true stance on Brexit.

Or in other words, the next GE will be a sham of the most epic proportions I've seen, and folks will say "you aren't allowed an opinion if you abstain or vote for a candidate that has no chance of winning [ie it's virtually an abstention]".

Bleh.

+++

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2020, 10:50:39 PM
Leaving aside all partisanship for a moment, that is of course within the realms of possibility. Though of course it is in no way a certainty. It is too early to even say if it's likely or unlikely. This far out, so much can change for better or for worse that the outcome as yet is essentially unpredictable. Anything is possible from a Labour landslide to a Tory landslide and anything in between. This far out it is all there still to play for for everyone.

Of course that goes without saying and it would break my heart again to see Labour on the Government benches, but people have short memories and each generation needs to experience it before they realise the mistake - and yes I have a cheeky grin as I post it!   ;D I do suspect that Starmer, if he sticks, will move the party towards the centre to achieve it. Of course it may still be a poisonous chalice even then.

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2020, 10:38:14 PM
Can we start discussing the next GE now?

Just imagine the frenzy we could be in if we start 4 years out. 😂
Problem is, whilst it is always possible that the Tories could ditch Boris before then, the next general election is unlikely to occur before 2024. So much can change in so many unforeseen ways between now and then. At the last one no one had ever heard of covid, for example.

All we have is snapshots given to us from polling as to how people might vote now were there an election today. But that could change a lot in four years.

Nick

Can we start discussing the next GE now?

Just imagine the frenzy we could be in if we start 4 years out. 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.