Main Menu

Success

Started by Nick, November 03, 2019, 10:54:44 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=4418 time=1573078589 user_id=63
And you don't really understand civilised then do you. ..

Mahatma Gandhi, on being asked, "What do you think of Western civilization?," was reported to have answered, "I think it would be a good idea".
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

The Conservative party, if not perfect are the party of Capitalism.  If you want to be made to feel guilty for your success then vote Labour, the party of the many that don't want to work hard and want your money via taxes.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick post_id=4421 time=1573079399 user_id=73
Your self, Capitalism at its best. If at first you don't succeed..............

Yes. But which political party. I speak as one savaged by John majors tax rottweilers for the crime of trying to put bed and breakfast accomodation near my clients as a busin as expense and being told I couldn't possibly be using it for a business use while I was sleeping.

Today if course I know exactly what to do to take down such arse holes. Then, I was still green and did not understand the game

It did  teach me the Tory tax inspectors were not the friends of small business
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=4419 time=1573078753 user_id=63
Actually

If you want to be a successful person.... but you are not yet successful.... Who then is best to help you make something of yourself ....

Your self, Capitalism at its best. If at first you don't succeed..............

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick post_id=3797 time=1572821684 user_id=73
If you're a successful person vote Conservative,  they will reward you with tax incentives and sound economics.

If you're a failure vote Labour, they'll prop you up with Robin Hood economics.

Labours policy is like pyramid selling. What do you do when all the rich and successful people have been dragged down and there is no one left to feed off. Oh yes, you promote capitalism, those that work hard get rewarded.

Actually

If you want to be a successful person.... but you are not yet successful.... Who then is best to help you make something of yourself ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3846 time=1572867123 user_id=89
Without taxation there can be no civilisation.

And you don't really understand civilised then do you. ..

Baron von Lotsov

From my general experiences of government departments, no matter which department it is, I see gross stupidity. Then in a typical scenario, having failed to get the answer from such people to a query, I have to find the answer myself. If this is a query about the law, which more often than not it is, since most queries are of the form of can you do this or can you do that or how does this or that work and so on, the arbiter is the law itself. When we dip into the law and get an exact view we find the opposite scene. We see huge complexity and hundreds of case laws pertaining to a single issue. The law itself is kind of coded. You need to understand general law to understand what is going on in case law, so ideally you would need a degree in law to answer the question that has cropped up. This law though tends to be summarised in government documents, which is a process of information reduction, so from a 100 legal cases a summary of  rules can be made in a publication to be used internally by staff. However the problem arises in that the raw law as published is already in the most succinct form, and indeed part of a lawyer's skill is to minimise the word count, and use jargon and so forth. Inevitably the official gets a document to work with which is inadequate, Then add to that their own limited interpretation, and their erring on the side of caution (often unlawfully) and plus the personal prejudices, then you find they screw up. It's a systemic problem.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=3935 time=1572890631 user_id=87
 YES, I think I understand the welfare state.

I see you THINK you know. I would suggest unless you are one of those psychics who can diagnose people's medical condition just by looking at them and have intimate knowledge of them, financial status and so on you know nothing.

(You very obviously know nothing about the benefits system and also about Motability cars and the regulations surrounding them.

Because of people similar to you who phone the shop a benefit cheat hotline and in the vast majority of cases are wasting the DWP investigation units time.  (In over 96% of case they are wrong.)

I have helped several people who had someone "drop a coin" on them and, that has resulted in my knowing a lot more about them than I wish to know about anyone in order to get their benefit reinstated. (In some cases at a higher rate then before.

I despise people like you.

Ciaphas

I see them all the time. My next door neighbors who tell me they get nothing from the state. Oh, apart from their lovely two bed bungalow, the brand new car every three years, their two foreign holidays, and their spending money. No private pensions of course, but he was fortunate to become ill prior to state retirement age. The people who live around the corner. Both registered disabled, also driving their 2 month old hybrid car, whilst using their other car to carry around their stock to the car boot sales. Forgot about my wife's friends who recently had a 6 week cruse with a double balcony cabin, who just had an extension to their property, and bought one of their sons a car. Yes, she a had a stroke and isn't in the best health, but in their own words (not mine) we have never been so well off. So in answer to your question, YES, I think I understand the welfare state.

Having interacted with many people suffering long term disabilities I find your assertion that they are living the high life to crass in the extreme. Most didn't get much and those receiving larger amounts typically had complex and severe health issues.

I do however agree the cars are replaced far too frequently.

Baron von Lotsov

I see them all the time. My next door neighbors who tell me they get nothing from the state. Oh, apart from their lovely two bed bungalow, the brand new car every three years, their two foreign holidays, and their spending money. No private pensions of course, but he was fortunate to become ill prior to state retirement age. The people who live around the corner. Both registered disabled, also driving their 2 month old hybrid car, whilst using their other car to carry around their stock to the car boot sales. Forgot about my wife's friends who recently had a 6 week cruse with a double balcony cabin, who just had an extension to their property, and bought one of their sons a car. Yes, she a had a stroke and isn't in the best health, but in their own words (not mine) we have never been so well off. So in answer to your question, YES, I think I understand the welfare state.

Hmm, well perhaps it is the case that you view a picture which is statistically unrepresentative. I mean first of all, in looking at your photos on here and what you say about your house and so on, it seems to me you live in a pretty high quality house, in that it is new and you tell us you worked your life to be able to buy it. So logically, those in your estate of similar houses are all going to be pretty well off or else they would never be living there. They are an unrepresentative sample and not random, as you would need in your proof. It therefore follows that if you picked the disabled out of those people then they would be rich disabled, and typically people do not spend every penny of their money on housing but share it out between their home, their food, their recreation, how much they save and so on, so it follows these disabled on your estate would more likely be able to afford new cars than a random sample. The question is why, and here you may well find that atypical circumstances account for their wealth. One very likly possibility is they have inheritance, especially if they are quite old.

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3839 time=1572865564 user_id=89
You don't understand the welfare state at all do you.

A hand up, not a hand out

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Nick post_id=3910 time=1572886248 user_id=73
Is that not a result?

It is an example of success, but not the definition of it.

This man does not even stand on his own two feet, but is none-the-less successful.

https://grangerprints.printstoreonline.com/p/497/england-highway-robbery-john-cottington-c1611-1655-7563521.jpg.webp">

He probably voted Tory, or perhaps even it is one of the Tory MPs' ancestors.

Nick

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=3882 time=1572881767 user_id=74
Not in my dictionary.

"accomplishing a desired aim or result."

Is that not a result?

Churchill

Write to your MP and get HMRC working nights 24/7 maybe then you might be happier , perhaps it takes time lots of it going through lots of red tape and different legislation in different countries to get anywhere with numerous banks obtaining court orders to freeze accounts etc they can't simply march in grab the cash and leg it
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=3878 time=1572880293 user_id=69
I did get it the first time round no need to repeat it

The Government put in place legislation in 2017 re offshore accounts and assets HMRC are taking them to task recovered £2.8 billion so far

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-warns-its-time-to-declare-offshore-assets">https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc ... ore-assets">https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-warns-its-time-to-declare-offshore-assets

Only £2.8 billion in 8 years?