Fears of second lockdown wipe £50bn off UK stocks

Started by Dynamis, September 22, 2020, 03:22:41 PM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 03:22:41 PMGood stuff all in all I'd say. 🙈

Tbf though, the FTSE has now made most of that back. Two days on the stock market means feck all really.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 23, 2020, 10:45:56 AM
well, in answer to the thread title, who's been short selling to make a killing then ...

The same people who are going to trouser £10 billion, when the crash out Brexit happens.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

well, in answer to the thread title, who's been short selling to make a killing then ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Under prepared for any emergency . Under manned and equipped in all the vital areas.  Very similar to the situation before WWII.
At least then the spitfire , was in production. Not this time. That's still on the drawing board.

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 23, 2020, 10:04:14 AM
I think I'm going to start referring to the Johnson government at the "Luftwaffe". Because theyve now done more damage to the UK economy and industry in 6 months than the Germans did in the whole of WW2

They have "allegedly" caused more deaths than the Blitz.

DeppityDawg

I think I'm going to start referring to the Johnson government at the "Luftwaffe". Because theyve now done more damage to the UK economy and industry in 6 months than the Germans did in the whole of WW2

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2020, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 03:40:36 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 22, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 03:22:41 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-54234006

QuoteFears that a renewed rise in coronavirus cases will blight economic prospects have wiped more than £50bn off UK shares, and caused similar falls across European and US stock markets.

London's FTSE 100 share index closed down 3.4%, with airlines, travel firms, hotel groups and pubs leading the rout.

Worst hit was British Airways owner IAG, down 12%.

Markets in Paris, Frankfurt and Madrid also dived, while the US Dow Jones index lost 1.8% after paring losses.

It comes amid fears that major economies could see second lockdowns as they struggle to regain control of the virus.

Banking shares were affected by an extra set of concerns as allegations of money-laundering surfaced in leaked secret files .

HSBC, the bank at the centre of the scandal, saw its share price fall 5.3% in London, but the revelations dragged down the entire sector, with other big banks dropping by a similar amount.

On Wall Street, JP Morgan Chase and Bank of New York Mellon saw their share prices fall 3% and 4% respectively in response to the reports

That's not good, Matt Handcock has proven.he's innumerate on top of this. Good old fella.

Good stuff all in all I'd say. 🙈

Well at least he's not in the treasury and he is not acting alone where it would really matter.

He most certainly is acting alone where it really matters (the typo was funny so I left it in), but he's also responsible by default for something that controls the economy right now - like it or not, his policies dictate performance of markets where they perhaps shouldn't.

As for strange feckt up voyeurs who take pleasure in seeing the markets fail; whether it's China or Russia (I still suspect they have done too well whereas the west has failed, for it to be a coincidence), they are going to get a good karmic kick if they've done any cheating. ;)

Russia lives off selling energy and with gas and oil prices in the doldrums I can't see that doing much for Putin's vodka bill.

Maybe, but think about it - you take a hit yourself but your enemy comes off worse - kind of makes sense for a very aggressive fellow like Putin.

QuoteChina is the workshop of the world and that is not a good thing to be when the world has stopped buying.

Ah, but they don't stop buying completely - who sold the most PPE?

China are doing the best out of everyone GDP wise and their totalitarian policies worked quite well. We suffered much worse than them. Again, you take a knock but recover much better while grinding America into the dust..

These are tinfoil hat theories for sure, but it seems highly coincidental to me, that's all.

It's possible given American stupidity that they had a hand in this, and unintentiinally infected themselves and spread it back to America. They released a bioweapon in San Francisco once as a 'test', just never put anything past them..

QuoteNo one does well as minister for health and with a flu outbreak to worry on, Matt Hancock will not do well with a cherry on top.

He's a bigly guy and a fine horse.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2020, 03:50:11 PM

China is the workshop of the world and that is not a good thing to be when the world has stopped buying.

The problem is China provides components for practically every bit of technology we buy. The are rapidly approaching being the only workshop in the world.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on September 22, 2020, 03:40:36 PM

QuoteFears that a renewed rise in coronavirus cases will blight economic prospects have wiped more than £50bn off UK shares, and caused similar falls across European and US stock markets.

London's FTSE 100 share index closed down 3.4%, with airlines, travel firms, hotel groups and pubs leading the rout.

Markets in Paris, Frankfurt and Madrid also dived, while the US Dow Jones index lost 1.8% after paring losses.

It comes amid fears that major economies could see second lockdowns as they struggle to regain control of the virus.

Banking shares were affected by an extra set of concerns as allegations of money-laundering surfaced in leaked secret files .

HSBC, the bank at the centre of the scandal, saw its share price fall 5.3% in London, but the revelations dragged down the entire sector, with other big banks dropping by a similar amount.

On Wall Street, JP Morgan Chase and Bank of New York Mellon saw their share prices fall 3% and 4% respectively in response to the reports

That's not good, Matt Handcock has proven.he's innumerate on top of this. Good old fella.

Well at least he's not in the treasury and he is not acting alone where it would really matter.

He most certainly is acting alone where it really matters (the typo was funny so I left it in), but he's also responsible by default for something that controls the economy right now - like it or not, his policies dictate performance of markets where they perhaps shouldn't.

As for strange feckt up voyeurs who take pleasure in seeing the markets fail; whether it's China or Russia (I still suspect they have done too well whereas the west has failed, for it to be a coincidence), they are going to get a good karmic kick if they've done any cheating. ;)

Russia lives off selling energy and with gas and oil prices in the doldrums I can't see that doing much for Putin's vodka bill.

China is the workshop of the world and that is not a good thing to be when the world has stopped buying.

No one does well as minister for health and with a flu outbreak to worry on, Matt Hancock will not do well with a cherry on top.
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

+++

T00ts

Borg Refinery

That's not good, Matt Han(d)cock has proven he's innumerate on top of this. Good old fella.

+++