Protest from both end of the political spectrum about Covid-19 regulations.

Started by papasmurf, September 23, 2020, 06:56:44 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 23, 2020, 09:50:32 AM
You only have to look at comments on Twitter or Facebook following yesterday's speech to see that the huge majority of people are sick of this government's handling of the crisis. They are also sick of the ineptitude with handling statistics, over use of legislation to control an invisible virus.

They have a very good point. Our freedoms are being eroded and it is not good enough.

Example:
My daughter has 2 children. My son has 1. When they got together a fortnight back, there was no problem, there was 4 adults and 3 children.
Please tell me the logic that this must be prohibited from now on. What makes this so dangerous?
I not sure "that the huge majority of people are sick of this government's handling of the crisis. They are also sick of the ineptitude with handling statistics, over use of legislation to control an invisible virus".

It maybe true that's the feelings of a majority of Tweeters and Facebookers, but I'd suggest the "huge majority of" the population are simply nervous and unsure, and many are voicing their worries by lashing out at anyone and anything.

Then there are also those whose purpose is to stoke up discontent and division — present company excepted, no doubt.

Mistakes that could have been avoided were probably made at the beginning of the year. But more data and new experiences are being gathered and evaluated day-by-day by all those who are working on Covid. Expecting, even last week's recommendations to remain in place when the weather changes, people forsake open spaces and congregate more inside, and the rate of contagion rises, etc, etc, etc, seems mistaken.

As for the erosion of freedoms — there are calls to sacrifice the broad concentration on Health for the sake of the Economy. Seems to me that if the nation's health suffers greatly, so does the economy.
From conversations through work, I understand he Economy and Life has been derailed, and is unlikely to ever get back on the track if was following. Companies and jobs will disappear. The clever ones responsible for them will seek to replace these with new (Clean and Green?) opportunities.

I hope the PM is not expecting the next few months will see the end of Covid, nor even the beginning of the end. But I hope he and his team perhaps see this period as the end of the beginning of a new path for GB...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 23, 2020, 04:39:08 PM
Quote from: cromwell on September 23, 2020, 09:58:11 AMWhatever the rights or wrongs of any view arsebook and twatter are the equivalent of Chinese whispers
Then, perhaps you can explain how shutting the pubs at 10pm is helping. Or why 7 family meeting a few weeks back is now far too dangerous, instead of dismissing everything I wrote with "Twitter and Facebook are wubbish".
Instead of saying I dismissed everything you wrote you should perhaps have read
Quotewhatever the rights or wrongs of any view
which acknowledges the truth or falsehoods in all arguments,in fact I dismissed nothing of yours but rather any reliance or expectations that either of the platforms provide either of the aforementioned and can be relied upon as a balanced view.
Let's be fair here you have condemned the witterings of both yourself in the past.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

You only have to look at comments on Twitter or Facebook following yesterday's speech to see that the huge majority of people are sick of this government's handling of the crisis. They are also sick of the ineptitude with handling statistics, over use of legislation to control an invisible virus.

They have a very good point. Our freedoms are being eroded and it is not good enough.

Example:
My daughter has 2 children. My son has 1. When they got together a fortnight back, there was no problem, there was 4 adults and 3 children.
Please tell me the logic that this must be prohibited from now on. What makes this so dangerous?

My daughters talk to me about FB and Twitter. I don't use them myself. From what they tell me very often comments tend to be as extreme as possible  almost as if it's a competition to be the most outlandish, angry, shocking etc depending on the subject. I just wonder if the voices of reason just simply get shouted down and drop out as a result. I have one girl with strong views on most things and she was quite badly trolled including threats after posting against the general onslaught. Isn't it possible that their is once again a silent majority?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on September 23, 2020, 09:58:11 AMWhatever the rights or wrongs of any view arsebook and twatter are the equivalent of Chinese whispers
Then, perhaps you can explain how shutting the pubs at 10pm is helping. Or why 7 family meeting a few weeks back is now far too dangerous, instead of dismissing everything I wrote with "Twitter and Facebook are wubbish".
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 23, 2020, 09:58:11 AM

Whatever the rights or wrongs of any view arsebook and twatter are the equivalent of Chinese whispers

Which is why I use neither of them.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Example:
Whatever the rights or wrongs of any view arsebook and twatter are the equivalent of Chinese whispers
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Example:
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

There was a serious point buried in among the sarc: Russia and others have been stirring up BLM protests on both sides in America, the same may be true here as they creare 'respectable looking' fronts to get people to come out on covidiot protests and wreak havoc..
+++

papasmurf

Borg Refinery

+++

papasmurf

On odd situation has materialised, I have had emails from the equivalent of the Tooting Liberation Front, and the rabid right asking me to sign petitions/contact my MP about the infringement of their "human rights" with being  asked to comply with Covid-19 regulations.
As someone who wants those regulations enforced by armed police officers and the army. They did not like my answer.