Gove in his infinite wisdom

Started by Dynamis, September 23, 2020, 10:53:28 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 02:53:12 PMWell it probably doesn't help that the EU and the French have pretended they have been stopping an invasion, while actually thinking out of sight out of mind and really it is the UK's problem, while traffickers have happily delivered them to the French border with telephones so once they get to the UK they can go on a crime wave to repay said traffickers, while claiming for everything possible, as well as assorted terrorists. what could possibly go wrong, on top of an Eastern European crime wave. While knowing full well our cities have been divided up into little enclaves of assorted cultures already. I really cannot see we want any more EU favours thanks, while all the time the EU has been sucking any wealth right out of the place. Just saying, not as though any perspective will change you, as it is rumoured the Irish have learnt Cathoholicism is not so pretty, but you have found a new religion, the EU.
Smuggling and trafficking is a problem every country has, the UK is not unique. If your not dealing with it don't go blaming the EU. That has a familiar ring to it. As for people coming and living in the EU, there were always two categories, non EU and for this group brexit changes nothing as what you could do in January is the same as today.  FOr EU nationals that couldn't support themselves, get work and contribute to UK society you could have sent them home after 6mths, you still can today. If you are doing none of that then go blame your Govt.
These are part of the lies of Brexit. Unfortunate immigration/emmigration/refugees is not going to change under brexit.

If you don't like the look of the UK today then don't blame the EU, that had nothing to do with them. Maybe if the UK hadn't over centuries controlled other countries then those people from all over the world wouldn't be living in your country.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 24, 2020, 02:59:49 PM
Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2020, 10:55:50 AM
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 24, 2020, 07:36:20 AM

So poor businesses don't know who to believe. 

Businesses that believe anything the government says are the sort of poorly run businesses that will blame their nonexistent profits on the government, Brexit or the fact that the duct tape has come undone on Pappy's motor bike and thus caused a tailback from Tilbury to the East India Dock Road.

Well run businesses will have sorted everything out by the end February 2021, but the media will still be running stories of lorry drivers suffering from PTSD because the tea at the Thurrock Service Station was served up cold until sometime in 2022

So who are businesses supposed to listen to?

The likes of you keep saying it will all be fine so if they listen to you they don't need to do anything.  But if it isn't fine, it's their fault for listening to you?

Imagine you a re food packaging business who ships food to NI.

What labels do you put on your food packaging?

Because you have to order you packaging now for January and the documents detailing what labels you should apply haven't yet been published?

So, what should such a business do?

Seek advice from real experts (ie, not this govt) about how to mitigate against any potential shortcomings from any of the likely scenarios facing us re Brexit.
+++

T00ts

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 24, 2020, 02:59:49 PM

Businesses that believe anything the government says are the sort of poorly run businesses that will blame their nonexistent profits on the government, Brexit or the fact that the duct tape has come undone on Pappy's motor bike and thus caused a tailback from Tilbury to the East India Dock Road.

Well run businesses will have sorted everything out by the end February 2021, but the media will still be running stories of lorry drivers suffering from PTSD because the tea at the Thurrock Service Station was served up cold until sometime in 2022

The likes of you keep saying it will all be fine so if they listen to you they don't need to do anything.  But if it isn't fine, it's their fault for listening to you?

Because you have to order you packaging now for January and the documents detailing what labels you should apply haven't yet been published?

In the light of the Leave majority vote way back in 2016 - that's 4 + years ago - any business worth it's salt should have been diversifying from the next week or at least laying plans. If a business is poor enough to think that their business model is going to get them from cradle to the grave and runs without at least half an ear to ongoing developments with adjustments accordingly really is in the wrong business. I ran a business for 46 years, I cannot count how many times the model changed to allow for changes in fashion and trends and clientele. In that time legislations changed goodness knows how many times and mine was a relatively small business in comparison to those who are shouting that the government hasn't told them what to do. Whose business is it? Be active, find out the possibilities from all the info out there. Feet of clay don't pay!

BeElBeeBub

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2020, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 01:50:37 PMBut then you usual suspects dive on it because you cannot be seen to be wrong, but then being prewarned of French strikes is a bonus.

Huh ??
Your more than welcome to dive on the benefits of brexit and report back.
I'm sure with time it will sort itself out and you can remove the Kent border.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-kent-internal-border-police-patrol-lorries-b552680.html

What I find interesting in it is a minister saying 70% of trucks may not be ready for checks. Call me a synic but, I think that means Gove hasn't got his new required 50,000 customs officials employed don't mind trained. The UK govt again failing the people, not able to handle the volume of traffic at it's ports. Can't see 70% of trucks having incomplete paperwork. More spin I suspect.
Well it probably doesn't help that the EU and the French have pretended they have been stopping an invasion, while actually thinking out of sight out of mind and really it is the UK's problem, while traffickers have happily delivered them to the French border with telephones so once they get to the UK they can go on a crime wave to repay said traffickers, while claiming for everything possible, as well as assorted terrorists. what could possibly go wrong, on top of an Eastern European crime wave. While knowing full well our cities have been divided up into little enclaves of assorted cultures already. I really cannot see we want any more EU favours thanks, while all the time the EU has been sucking any wealth right out of the place. Just saying, not as though any perspective will change you, as it is rumoured the Irish have learnt Cathoholicism is not so pretty, but you have found a new religion, the EU.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 01:50:37 PMBut then you usual suspects dive on it because you cannot be seen to be wrong, but then being prewarned of French strikes is a bonus.

Huh ??
Your more than welcome to dive on the benefits of brexit and report back.
I'm sure with time it will sort itself out and you can remove the Kent border.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-kent-internal-border-police-patrol-lorries-b552680.html

What I find interesting in it is a minister saying 70% of trucks may not be ready for checks. Call me a synic but, I think that means Gove hasn't got his new required 50,000 customs officials employed don't mind trained. The UK govt again failing the people, not able to handle the volume of traffic at it's ports. Can't see 70% of trucks having incomplete paperwork. More spin I suspect.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 23, 2020, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 23, 2020, 11:10:34 AMPresumably there would be complaints if the government were not anticipating worst case scenarios. If no-one is aware of the potential then there will be no planning for it and everyone would sail along mindlessly. Any organisation has to anticipate scenarios so as to have action plans in place from evacuation for fire to accident procedures. This is just on a bigger scale and individual businesses should be anticipating Brexit disruption and making sure they are prepared for it. If they are simply sitting back waiting for central government they are letting themselves down.
So truck drives should bring 2 days worth of food for the 7,000 truck car park, the cost for shipping is going up ten fold as the driver has to sit around for days. And when the drive gets turned away in the UK at ports for not having the correct paperwork that's more cost for the UK.

This isn't a worst case scenario, it's what the Govt expects will be the case.
But then you usual suspects dive on it because you cannot be seen to be wrong, but then being prewarned of French strikes is a bonus.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts on September 23, 2020, 10:47:45 PMWhy is it only BJ? Surely it's a failure of whichever dept has known that this could be a problem and has failed to do much for 4 years. For me there is an apathy in Whitehall that really needs looking at.
To some extent it is failures at various levels in Whitehall.

However, civil servants are directed by their ministers who set policy.  If that policy is unclear, how can the various departments enact it. This is especially true when it comes to communicating with the public and business.

Let's take a concrete example.

It has been crystal clear since Johnson agreed his renegotiated WA in October 2019 that it would require checks between GB and NI.

Businesses should have been preparing, government should have been telling them what they needed to do in concrete terms.

Instead we have Johnson insisting that there won't be checks, and to "throw the forms in the bin".

So poor businesses don't know who to believe.  O. The one hand various experts are staying "yes there will be checks" but on the other hand the Prime Minister is promising them there won't be.

Hard for a Whitehall dept to cut through that messaging.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 23, 2020, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 23, 2020, 11:10:34 AMPresumably there would be complaints if the government were not anticipating worst case scenarios. If no-one is aware of the potential then there will be no planning for it and everyone would sail along mindlessly. Any organisation has to anticipate scenarios so as to have action plans in place from evacuation for fire to accident procedures. This is just on a bigger scale and individual businesses should be anticipating Brexit disruption and making sure they are prepared for it. If they are simply sitting back waiting for central government they are letting themselves down.

The problem is businesses can't do anything until the government has told them what the new procedures etc are.

If I tell you to get ready for a trip, you will reasonably ask "what do I have to do? Where are we going? Is it a hot or cold? Are we camping or staying in a hotel? Do I my passport? A visa? Should I get jabs?"

"Just get ready" I say....."it'll be your fault if you aren't prepared"

As an example, there are several vital pieces of IT that are needed. One is for truckers to fill in online to give them the Kent permits

Ideally it should be deployed by now so truckers can get used to it, find all the bugs like it not accepting personalised plates, or not working on iOS, or crashing if you try to edit details. The truckers would also like to know what information they will need in what format. Excel? PDF, text, XML?

None of that is ready and the gov has admitted it won't be for Jan 1st. It will only be available as a "beta" release.

This is 100% on the government.

👍

I expect your message will simply be ignored for the most part sadly....

Also not sure why it said I thanked a post I hadn'.t..
+++

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 23, 2020, 10:37:22 PM
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 23, 2020, 07:50:05 PMThe problem is businesses can't do anything until the government has told them what the new procedures etc are.

If I tell you to get ready for a trip, you will reasonably ask "what do I have to do? Where are we going? Is it a hot or cold? Are we camping or staying in a hotel? Do I my passport? A visa? Should I get jabs?"

As an example, there are several vital pieces of IT that are needed. One is for truckers to fill in online to give them the Kent permits

Ideally it should be deployed by now so truckers can get used to it, find all the bugs like it not accepting personalised plates, or not working on iOS, or crashing if you try to edit details. The truckers would also like to know what information they will need in what format. Excel? PDF, text, XML?

None of that is ready and the gov has admitted it won't be for Jan 1st. It will only be available as a "beta" release.

And I 100% agree. It reminds me of the "Get ready for Brexit" messages on the motorway matrixes last year. When the gov website was examined there was no actual information as to how it could be done.
That's a Boris fail.

Why is it only BJ? Surely it's a failure of whichever dept has known that this could be a problem and has failed to do much for 4 years. For me there is an apathy in Whitehall that really needs looking at.

Barry

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 23, 2020, 07:50:05 PMThe problem is businesses can't do anything until the government has told them what the new procedures etc are.

And I 100% agree. It reminds me of the "Get ready for Brexit" messages on the motorway matrixes last year. When the gov website was examined there was no actual information as to how it could be done.
That's a Boris fail.
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

The problem is businesses can't do anything until the government has told them what the new procedures etc are.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis on September 23, 2020, 10:53:28 AM
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-michael-gove-letter-warns-of-queues-of-7-000-trucks-after-transition-period-ends-12079101

Quote'In a letter sent to logistics groups, The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove outlines the government's "reasonable worst-case scenario" planning, including a warning that between 30-50% of trucks crossing the Channel will not be ready for the new regulations coming into force on 1 January 2021, while a "lack of capacity to hold unready trucks at French ports" could reduce the flow of traffic across the strait to 60-80% of normal levels.

"This could lead to maximum queues of 7,000 port bound trucks in Kent and associated maximum delays of up to two days," the document says and that the disruption could last up to three months

QuoteThe leaked letter comes as a think tank said failure to reach an agreement with the EU in post-Brexit trade talks could hit Britain's economy three times harder in the long term than coronavirus.

Queues at the border, shortages of fresh food and medicine as well as more "hassle" travelling to the continent are also possible, according to the UK in a Changing Europe group.

Project Fear. Oh it's just Project Fear, it'll be fine..

Michael Gove.

Remind me oh coppery spinning one, who was it whose backstabbing caused BoJo to stand up and say 2i am not that man" and plunge us into three fucking years of remainer chaos ....

And who only has the job he has because of the old adage about where you keep enemies ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Another crap report from Sky .. the  whole report is based on IF what and maybe . They have had 4 years to get their shite together and I would suggest those that have will get the work

100 days to go