Gove in his infinite wisdom

Started by Dynamis, September 23, 2020, 10:53:28 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 25, 2020, 12:15:40 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 08:15:13 PMI bet when any of those Left they didn't need a revised budget. Don't lie Gerry you voted against the EU and had to keep voting until you agreed with them, the difference is we stood by our word. Why would they need to revise the budsget anyway, surely the others could step up and make up the difference?

Revise the budget ?? nope they didn't. The EU budet is a 7yr cycle. The UK is leaving right at the end of this cycle and the next cycle starts 2021. Part of the WA settlement was the UK paying it's commitments in the 2014-2020 cycle, that's why it's fallen from about 44b to 30b as the UK has continued to pay during all the extension periods the UK requested.
The budget hasn't gone down, the budget for 2020 was 168b and it's 166.7b for 2021. As the payments are based roughly on a countries GDP, the EU having a GDP of 14T 166.7b represents an average of 1.2% for each countries GDP. That's before any country gets and money back, actual contributions are about half that. Take the UK, it gave 18b to the EU but got 10b back, it didn't pay 1.2% of GDP more like 0.53%. Don't go on like thats a massive hole to fill.
LOL well get the others to make up the difference then, it is only a small hole.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 24, 2020, 11:24:51 PMAgain, experts have been banging on about these problems for years and the government has repeatedly branded their warnings as "project fear" and now businesses are being blamed for not taking "project fear" seriously.

Your dead right. Can a UK company continue to print CE mark on their goods, they prob can until midnight 2020, but in 2021, if they do that will the EU say, hang on, where's your compliance test centre that's registered with the EU. When will the UK set these up as self testing won't be allowed. The UK has to employ EU officials, pay them to validate what the UK set's up. This is a Govt competence.
The UK would know this as any country outside the EU does this and the UK being a member of the EU knows the ropes.

Johnson is asleep at the wheel, UK industry needs to know what's happening. This falls solely at the UK Govt to get sorted, joe blogs making say radios for export to the EU is prob pulling his hair out right now, he can't's setup a Govt compliance centre for getting his product tested for CE compliance.

edit:  I can just see the sort of replies... he can just sell his radios to the other 7billion people on the planet

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 08:15:13 PMI bet when any of those Left they didn't need a revised budget. Don't lie Gerry you voted against the EU and had to keep voting until you agreed with them, the difference is we stood by our word. Why would they need to revise the budsget anyway, surely the others could step up and make up the difference?

Revise the budget ?? nope they didn't. The EU budet is a 7yr cycle. The UK is leaving right at the end of this cycle and the next cycle starts 2021. Part of the WA settlement was the UK paying it's commitments in the 2014-2020 cycle, that's why it's fallen from about 44b to 30b as the UK has continued to pay during all the extension periods the UK requested.
The budget hasn't gone down, the budget for 2020 was 168b and it's 166.7b for 2021. As the payments are based roughly on a countries GDP, the EU having a GDP of 14T 166.7b represents an average of 1.2% for each countries GDP. That's before any country gets and money back, actual contributions are about half that. Take the UK, it gave 18b to the EU but got 10b back, it didn't pay 1.2% of GDP more like 0.53%. Don't go on like thats a massive hole to fill.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 10:54:42 PMAgain far too simplistic. It is the firms' job to prepare for all eventualities. They know their business they know what is involved, more than anyone, they need only use some sense and have stuff prep'd and then they are ready to go with minimum delay. I don't buy this competent firms sitting on their backsides with dropped jaws waiting for spoon feeding. There are only a limited number of options.
Absolutely firms needed to be proactive, regardless of what Johnson and Gove told them.

But, again, I come back to the fact that there is only so much that can be done without guidance from the people who are making the regulations you have to conform to (i.e.the government)

Freight companies are told they will have to use some sort of online system to register trucks for access to kent.  Great, where is it?  What OS does it run on?  Should they get their truck drivers iPads or Chrome books? What information do they need to enter?  In what format?  How long before journeys, 1hr? 24hrs? 72hrs?  Is there an automatics system for entering to their database or does someone have to enter the data manually? Do they need to register for a login?  If so where and with what credentials?

They haven't been told this  (and the government is responsible for defining this) so how can they get ready?

Again, experts have been banging on about these problems for years and the government has repeatedly branded their warnings as "project fear" and now businesses are being blamed for not taking "project fear" seriously.

T00ts

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 24, 2020, 10:28:49 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 05:11:02 PMIt's always someone else's responsibility and always someone else's job. Years of being spoon fed by EU directives has removed the British backbone and incentive.

This is laughable.  When it comes to Brexiters actually delivering on their promises, it's always somebody else's responsibility and someone else's job.  Years of being spoon fed EU myths by tabloids has removed the British common sense.

Setting out and operating the border is, by definition, the government's job.  It's not up to individual companies to decide how the UK border works.

Instead of saying for the last few years "There will be customs checks, this is what we will be requiring", the government has, at the highest levels, said "there will be no checks, anyone who says there will be is a remoaner and shouldn't be listened to"

Now, the government is telling business it's their fault they aren't ready and people like you are saying business should have been listening to the very people you said we shouldn't have been listening to!

Do you not see the cognitive dissonance there?

Again far too simplistic. It is the firms' job to prepare for all eventualities. They know their business they know what is involved, more than anyone, they need only use some sense and have stuff prep'd and then they are ready to go with minimum delay. I don't buy this competent firms sitting on their backsides with dropped jaws waiting for spoon feeding. There are only a limited number of options.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 05:11:02 PMIt's always someone else's responsibility and always someone else's job. Years of being spoon fed by EU directives has removed the British backbone and incentive.

This is laughable.  When it comes to Brexiters actually delivering on their promises, it's always somebody else's responsibility and someone else's job.  Years of being spoon fed EU myths by tabloids has removed the British common sense.

Setting out and operating the border is, by definition, the government's job.  It's not up to individual companies to decide how the UK border works.

Instead of saying for the last few years "There will be customs checks, this is what we will be requiring", the government has, at the highest levels, said "there will be no checks, anyone who says there will be is a remoaner and shouldn't be listened to"

Now, the government is telling business it's their fault they aren't ready and people like you are saying business should have been listening to the very people you said we shouldn't have been listening to!

Do you not see the cognitive dissonance there?

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2020, 08:52:16 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 05:11:02 PM

It's always someone else's responsibility and always someone else's job. Years of being spoon fed by EU directives has removed the British backbone and incentive.
Dunno Toots. Most Brexiters believed that if they voted to leave the sky would fall in. But they did anyway. And quite a few of the remainers that I know are taking the view that Boris is a bastard, but that moaning won't get baby a new frock and the best policy is to just to just soldier on.

In fact the only one making a fuss over not much of anything is Gerry. And I reckon that if the EU negotiators changed the colour of the toilet paper in the loos he would take it as evidence of the UK's wish to reapply for admission to the Brussels empire.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 05:11:02 PM

It's always someone else's responsibility and always someone else's job. Years of being spoon fed by EU directives has removed the British backbone and incentive.
Dunno Toots. Most Brexiters believed that if they voted to leave the sky would fall in. But they did anyway. And quite a few of the remainers that I know are taking the view that Boris is a bastard, but that moaning won't get baby a new frock and the best policy is to just to just soldier on.

In fact the only one making a fuss over not much of anything is Gerry. And I reckon that if the EU negotiators changed the colour of the toilet paper in the loos he would take it as evidence of the UK's wish to reapply for admission to the Brussels empire.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2020, 08:09:24 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 06:18:38 PMut you are lying through your backside Gerry, article 50 only existed because it was sneaked past the EU and since then everything has been done to try and reverse its outcome. Because like you, they understimate that when we say no, we mean no.
I'm lying that Johnson this Jan refused Scotland the option for a referendum strange because that was in all the papers and on Johnson's own twitter feed that he was sending Sturgeon a letter. Secondly am I lying that a country can leave unilaterally with a simple letter, Art50. No I'm not, and that process has been around since 2009, not like there has been a queue to leave. Also Greenland left in 1985 and french Algeria in 1962. Leaving was never prohibited and the EU didn't turn around like Johnson and say "no you can't leave" like he did to Scotland. Democracy is not a once in a life time decision !!

https://twitter.com/borisjohnson/status/1217039173347168257?lang=en
I bet when any of those Left they didn't need a revised budget. Don't lie Gerry you voted against the EU and had to keep voting until you agreed with them, the difference is we stood by our word. Why would they need to revise the budsget anyway, surely the others could step up and make up the difference?

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 06:18:38 PMut you are lying through your backside Gerry, article 50 only existed because it was sneaked past the EU and since then everything has been done to try and reverse its outcome. Because like you, they understimate that when we say no, we mean no.
I'm lying that Johnson this Jan refused Scotland the option for a referendum strange because that was in all the papers and on Johnson's own twitter feed that he was sending Sturgeon a letter. Secondly am I lying that a country can leave unilaterally with a simple letter, Art50. No I'm not, and that process has been around since 2009, not like there has been a queue to leave. Also Greenland left in 1985 and french Algeria in 1962. Leaving was never prohibited and the EU didn't turn around like Johnson and say "no you can't leave" like he did to Scotland. Democracy is not a once in a life time decision !!

https://twitter.com/borisjohnson/status/1217039173347168257?lang=en

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 06:39:30 PM
Are you saying Europe isn't a great place?
Nice try, I said if you love the EU project so much, why don't take up the opportunity of joining them as it seems to be coming apart at the seams and a bright person such as yourself would be needed obviously. It beats listening to Gerry being tied up in knots.

Borg Refinery

Are you saying Europe isn't a great place?
+++

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 06:20:39 PM
Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2020, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 05:07:50 PMYou're preaching to the converted, the problem is while it is "hard to do in reality", it is still the best (and only) option here given the "fudging" that Boris is engaging in as you say.

There's really no alternative other than a peasants' rebellion. 😋

Agh the peasant class, all the Irish fall into that group by all accounts.

No doubt according to 'the minister of the union'.. Bojo, those of us who know our history, know that every country ever, has had the upper crust dictating stuff for an eternity, it exists everywhere.

The good ghing about the EU is they seek to reduce this influence by ruling in favour of the majority across Europe, I don't like some of their neoliberal tendencies but these have vastly reduced since 2009 and they do mostly seem committed to a real sense of equality, and fact based leadership. And they are the most intensely critical of themselves - far beyond Brexiters, infortunately to the point of giving their enemies plenty of ammo for right wing media rags.

Ireland needs to stop being such a tax haven, although things have improved, change is needed, and the EU has pushed you hard. Good.

I saw Ursula's speech on al jazeera and was impressed by it, a better migrant policy makes plenty of sense.

I know it's "controversial' but I thought Juncker was way better, yes a bit cronyist and abit of a mad drunk but very good at his job, and strong too.

QuoteYou can just see Boris in January, down at Dover, not a queue in sight and his new big red bus with some celebration jingo declaring Brexit a resounding success. Meanwhile at the Kent border 7,000 truckers pull their hair out as the police refuse them entry.

😆 It will all be blamed on Corbyn, American Dems, Starmer, the lawn tennis association and the man in the off license shop to quote monty python..
Short memory Dyno, we even made sure you could go and live in the EU and keep your EU passport if you applied.  So why not then after all it is so great a place. Italy sounds good they are running short of remainers.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2020, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 05:07:50 PMYou're preaching to the converted, the problem is while it is "hard to do in reality", it is still the best (and only) option here given the "fudging" that Boris is engaging in as you say.

There's really no alternative other than a peasants' rebellion. 😋

Agh the peasant class, all the Irish fall into that group by all accounts.

No doubt according to 'the minister of the union'.. Bojo, those of us who know our history, know that every country ever, has had the upper crust dictating stuff for an eternity, it exists everywhere.

The good ghing about the EU is they seek to reduce this influence by ruling in favour of the majority across Europe, I don't like some of their neoliberal tendencies but these have vastly reduced since 2009 and they do mostly seem committed to a real sense of equality, and fact based leadership. And they are the most intensely critical of themselves - far beyond Brexiters, infortunately to the point of giving their enemies plenty of ammo for right wing media rags.

Ireland needs to stop being such a tax haven, although things have improved, change is needed, and the EU has pushed you hard. Good.

I saw Ursula's speech on al jazeera and was impressed by it, a better migrant policy makes plenty of sense.

I know it's "controversial' but I thought Juncker was way better, yes a bit cronyist and abit of a mad drunk but very good at his job, and strong too.

QuoteYou can just see Boris in January, down at Dover, not a queue in sight and his new big red bus with some celebration jingo declaring Brexit a resounding success. Meanwhile at the Kent border 7,000 truckers pull their hair out as the police refuse them entry.

😆 It will all be blamed on Corbyn, American Dems, Starmer, the lawn tennis association and the man in the off license shop to quote monty python..
+++

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on September 24, 2020, 06:14:49 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 24, 2020, 06:10:45 PMExcuse for what? I don't need to fight their corner, they can do that themselves. I have always kept the same line. Facts are the facts.
Sheepy your example of a wake up call for the SNP was that the EU empire would not give Scotland it's independence.

I point out Art50 is a very simple exit and it's unilateral and the EU has no power in a countries independence.

I then point out Johnson this January refusing Scotland a vote for independence.

Don't you see your example is poop. Wrong and actually pointing out the hypocrisy of the UK
But you are lying through your backside Gerry, article 50 only existed because it was sneaked past the EU and since then everything has been done to try and reverse its outcome. Because like you, they understimate that when we say no, we mean no.