'A stitch in time saves nine' - what does it mean?

Started by GBNews, September 23, 2020, 07:00:33 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2020, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 24, 2020, 01:26:46 PM

My concern would be people's ability to self preserve, in a situation removed from the throw away culture ,

Come a serious national disaster I expect few of the population would be alive after a month.

And being the selfish, self centred bastards that they are, most of them will be Tories
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

I certainly had a stitch from laughter reading these daft comments, although to be fair as ever Borkie's was funny with a solid grain of truth too.   :)
+++

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2020, 01:43:04 PM
Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2020, 01:36:42 PM

Well looking at Smurfys reply he is as ever a cheerful sod and yep a grain of truth people are unable or unwilling to take on the most mundane of tasks and need to get a man in

That man people need to get in now appears to be as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns.
Getting  tradesman these days who isn't wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots, is next to impossible.
Maybe I should've posted
Quotesadly some they get in are as clueless as those paying the bill and only realise when it goes arse uppards
.........Oh I did!
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2020, 01:36:42 PM

Well looking at Smurfys reply he is as ever a cheerful sod and yep a grain of truth people are unable or unwilling to take on the most mundane of tasks and need to get a man in

That man people need to get in now appears to be as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns.
Getting  tradesman these days who isn't wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots, is next to impossible.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 01:10:25 PM
Quote from: cromwell on September 24, 2020, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 24, 2020, 11:28:10 AM
Quote from: Barry on September 23, 2020, 10:23:19 PM
I'm surprised people have not heard this saying before. Where have they been?

The fact that this is a question worth asking. Has to reflect on the soft easy going life's of plenty , we have all been leading.
Every family knew the meaning of that saying not that meany years past.  It's not even hard to understand. How anyone wouldn't know what he meant is beyond me.
Just so,a visit to the tip will see so much discarded.......truth is its an ignorance fuelled by the desire to sell or have the latest gadget where things are made obsolete before their time a purpose.

This is true but isn't it also driven by an economy that has been based on encouraging people to buy buy buy? Reduced profit while still a profit is deemed failure. Increasing numbers of goods are not built to last. The media influence for women particularly is never to be seen in the same outfit twice based on red carpet appearances etc. While profit is all consuming it will be difficult to change.

Absolutely it is. Let's face it in a society such as ours , people that are viewed as average can now practice the same rapid turnover of personal  and domestic items that was once only the sole domain of  the extremely , not only  wealthy, but foolish.
My concern would be people's ability to self preserve, in a situation removed from the throw away culture , that now has people needing to have what Boris, said ,interpreted for them.

Well looking at Smurfys reply he is as ever a cheerful sod and yep a grain of truth people are unable or unwilling to take on the most mundane of tasks and need to get a man in,great for the self employed but sadly some they get in are as clueless as those paying the bill who only realise when it all goes arse uppards.

papasmurf

My concern would be people's ability to self preserve, in a situation removed from the throw away culture ,

Come a serious national disaster I expect few of the population would be alive after a month.

Good old

The fact that this is a question worth asking. Has to reflect on the soft easy going life's of plenty , we have all been leading.
Every family knew the meaning of that saying not that meany years past.  It's not even hard to understand. How anyone wouldn't know what he meant is beyond me.
Just so,a visit to the tip will see so much discarded.......truth is its an ignorance fuelled by the desire to sell or have the latest gadget where things are made obsolete before their time a purpose.

This is true but isn't it also driven by an economy that has been based on encouraging people to buy buy buy? Reduced profit while still a profit is deemed failure. Increasing numbers of goods are not built to last. The media influence for women particularly is never to be seen in the same outfit twice based on red carpet appearances etc. While profit is all consuming it will be difficult to change.

Absolutely it is. Let's face it in a society such as ours , people that are viewed as average can now practice the same rapid turnover of personal  and domestic items that was once only the sole domain of  the extremely , not only  wealthy, but foolish.
My concern would be people's ability to self preserve, in a situation removed from the throw away culture , that now has people needing to have what Boris, said ,interpreted for them.

papasmurf

The media influence for women particularly is never to be seen in the same outfit twice based on red carpet appearances etc. While profit is all consuming it will be difficult to change.

Where I live it is rare to see a woman in a dress. They seem to mostly wear some kind of variation on "bib and tucker," overalls.

T00ts

cromwell

papasmurf

Quite, I have a "housewife," in my camping kit:-

Good old

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2020, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Borchester on September 24, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Quote from: News on September 23, 2020, 07:00:33 PM

Boris Johnson used the phrase as he announce new coronavirus rules.

Source: 'A stitch in time saves nine' - what does it mean?

No Toots, it means act in a sensible manner, which is a piss poor way to go through life
It means that Boris realises that the only cure for this flu nonsense is to let it burn itself out. But he can't say that so he is forced to run around like a blue bummed fly and pretending that his policy of pissing off his core vote will have some effect.

No it doesn't - it means if you don't repair that little hole in the knee of your trousers they'll end up as shorts!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Ask your wife! 

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 10:43:20 AM

No Toots, it means act in a sensible manner, which is a piss poor way to go through life
It means that Boris realises that the only cure for this flu nonsense is to let it burn itself out. But he can't say that so he is forced to run around like a blue bummed fly and pretending that his policy of pissing off his core vote will have some effect.

No it doesn't - it means if you don't repair that little hole in the knee of your trousers they'll end up as shorts!
Algerie Francais !

T00ts