Unconscious Bias Doesn't exist per Tory MPs

Started by Javert, September 24, 2020, 04:50:02 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 04:57:38 PMI find this story quite interesting. Unconscious bias. It's a good title isn't it? If I am unconscious I am incapable of thought and yet here we see a black woman being redirected without thought from a court, not just once but three or four times. She got upset and that's fair enough but it does beg the question of what identification does anyone need in a court building that permits entry or otherwise? Are people simply wandering about so that those in charge are playing guesswork? Perhaps the change required is some for some sort of identification badge. A simple solution that would save a lot off problems - or perhaps that would be deemed inappropriate for such esteemed individuals.

The point is that it's been proven by many scientific studies, not just recently but over many decades, that most people are unconsciously biased against people who are perceived as different to them, even when they are not doing it on purpose and genuinely believe that they are completely fair in all respects.  This is a very obvious example of it but it's been proven in much more nuanced situations like for example whether someone with a foreign sounding name is likely to find their CV in the trash can even if they have exactly the same or better qualifications as the people with English sounding names - this has been shown in double blind trials many times, so to claim it doesn't exist is patently absurd.

As far as I'm concerned, any MP who denies that this exists is lacking the knowledge and intellectual curiosity to be qualified as an MP, but of course that's just my opinion.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on September 24, 2020, 04:50:02 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54281111

I've heard several Tory MPs take to the airwaves to say that they will refuse to undertake unconscious bias training as it doesn't exist and it's a brainwashing marxist plot.

Perhaps they should try telling this to the barrister in this story (and the people in countless other similar incidents every day).

It did strike me unfortunately that anyone who claims that it doesn't exist, is probably the person who is absolutely in the most need of it, and also perhaps some general education given that the clue is in the word "unconscious".

I find this story quite interesting. Unconscious bias. It's a good title isn't it? If I am unconscious I am incapable of thought and yet here we see a black woman being redirected without thought from a court, not just once but three or four times. She got upset and that's fair enough but it does beg the question of what identification does anyone need in a court building that permits entry or otherwise? Are people simply wandering about so that those in charge are playing guesswork? Perhaps the change required is some for some sort of identification badge. A simple solution that would save a lot off problems - or perhaps that would be deemed inappropriate for such esteemed individuals.

Javert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54281111

I've heard several Tory MPs take to the airwaves to say that they will refuse to undertake unconscious bias training as it doesn't exist and it's a brainwashing marxist plot.

Perhaps they should try telling this to the barrister in this story (and the people in countless other similar incidents every day).

It did strike me unfortunately that anyone who claims that it doesn't exist, is probably the person who is absolutely in the most need of it, and also perhaps some general education given that the clue is in the word "unconscious".